Hi!

Just got my first Nintendo product ever, a GBA SP. (On sale at Fry's for
$69.... I couldn't refuse!) Glad to see this forum exists! I'm excited about
the GBA; I haven't been deeply into video games for about ten years. I cut
my teeth on the Sega Master System and then the Genesis. I actually love
side-scrolling platform games, shooters, and action-RPG's (anybody remember
Wonder Boy In Monster World? Took me a better part of a year to beat that).
I actually don't enjoy 3D games very much.

My first two purchases with the GBA are Iridion II (from what I've read on
review sites, possibly the best space shooter on the GBA -- any other
suggestions??) and R-Type III, which I'm on my way to return unopened since
all the review sites say it's a really awful port of the SNES version.

Any other shooter recommendations?

I'd also like to get recommendations for platformers -- I hear the new Astro
Boy game is a hoot.

Thanks, everybody,

Steve

"Steven Folberg" <rebbi@notonyourlifespambreath.texas.net> wrote in message
> Hi!
>
> Just got my first Nintendo product ever, a GBA SP. (On sale at Fry's for
> $69.... I couldn't refuse!) Glad to see this forum exists! I'm excited
about
> the GBA; I haven't been deeply into video games for about ten years. I cut
> my teeth on the Sega Master System and then the Genesis. I actually love
> side-scrolling platform games, shooters, and action-RPG's (anybody
remember
> Wonder Boy In Monster World? Took me a better part of a year to beat
that).
> I actually don't enjoy 3D games very much.
>
> My first two purchases with the GBA are Iridion II (from what I've read on
> review sites, possibly the best space shooter on the GBA -- any other
> suggestions??) and R-Type III, which I'm on my way to return unopened
since
> all the review sites say it's a really awful port of the SNES version.
>
> Any other shooter recommendations?

Can't really think of any. There's an obscure one called Strike Force
Hydra; I can't even find out whether that's out or not. Invader was
probably canceled. There is a game called World Reborn; it's a
side-scroller in the Gradius style that incorporates some sort of RPG
elements. Don't know much else, though. Contra Advance is a port of Contra
III on the SNES. If you like FPS games, then there's Doom and Doom II.
Gradius Galaxies has multiple Gradius games on it, IIRC.

> I'd also like to get recommendations for platformers -- I hear the new
Astro
> Boy game is a hoot.

There's a lot of good platformers listed in the thread called "Simple games
for a 6yo?" Astro Boy is supposed to be good, though I'm not sure it's a
platformer; it's made by the action game wizards at Treasure (Gunstar
Heroes).

You might also try Donkey Kong Country (classic Rare game), Klonoa
(recommended; puzzle-platformer), Mario & Luigi (RPG + platforming and
action-based battles), and Wario Land 4. And don't forget Mega Man & Bass
and Mega Man Zero 1-3. Metal Slug Advance is a combination
platformer-shooter. I've also heard good things about Ninja Five-O.

BTW, if you like platformers, I believe it's legally required around here
that you own the three GBA Castlevania games and the two GBA Metroid games.

If you're into Double Dragon-style beat-'em-ups, there's Advance Guardian
Heroes (by Treasure), Gekido Advance, and River City Ransom EX.

Here's a good site for reviews: http://gameboy.ign.com/

HTH

//mike tyndall

Steven Folberg wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Just got my first Nintendo product ever, a GBA SP. (On sale at Fry's
> for $69.... I couldn't refuse!) Glad to see this forum exists! I'm
> excited about the GBA; I haven't been deeply into video games for
> about ten years. I cut my teeth on the Sega Master System and then
> the Genesis. I actually love side-scrolling platform games, shooters,
> and action-RPG's (anybody remember Wonder Boy In Monster World? Took
> me a better part of a year to beat that). I actually don't enjoy 3D
> games very much.
>
> My first two purchases with the GBA are Iridion II (from what I've
> read on review sites, possibly the best space shooter on the GBA --
> any other suggestions??) and R-Type III, which I'm on my way to
> return unopened since all the review sites say it's a really awful
> port of the SNES version.
>
> Any other shooter recommendations?
>
> I'd also like to get recommendations for platformers -- I hear the
> new Astro Boy game is a hoot.
>
> Thanks, everybody,
>
> Steve

Well, my first recommendation to anyone who likes action/rpg is the two
zelda oracle games. They are GBC games, not GBA, but you can still play them
and they are just excellent. A new zelda game is coming out soon, too, for
GBA.

Hi, Mike, thanks a lot for the detailed answer...

On 9/14/04 10:39 AM, in article osWdnYKamL1JjdrcRVn-jw@comcast.com, "Mike
Tyndall" <Mike_Tyndall_1@hotmail.com> wrote:

>> My first two purchases with the GBA are Iridion II (from what I've read on
>> review sites, possibly the best space shooter on the GBA -- any other
>> suggestions??) and R-Type III, which I'm on my way to return unopened
> since
>> all the review sites say it's a really awful port of the SNES version.
>>
>> Any other shooter recommendations?
>
> Can't really think of any. There's an obscure one called Strike Force
> Hydra; I can't even find out whether that's out or not. Invader was
> probably canceled. There is a game called World Reborn; it's a
> side-scroller in the Gradius style that incorporates some sort of RPG
> elements. Don't know much else, though. Contra Advance is a port of Contra
> III on the SNES. If you like FPS games, then there's Doom and Doom II.
> Gradius Galaxies has multiple Gradius games on it, IIRC.

I'll have to look for some of the titles you've mentioned, thanks.

>> I'd also like to get recommendations for platformers -- I hear the new
> Astro
>> Boy game is a hoot.
>
> There's a lot of good platformers listed in the thread called "Simple games
> for a 6yo?" Astro Boy is supposed to be good, though I'm not sure it's a
> platformer; it's made by the action game wizards at Treasure (Gunstar
> Heroes).

I have a sense it's a bit like Treasure's "Dynamite Headdy" for the Genesis,
which was gorgeous, bizarre and really, really hard (with great music, too).
That game had a kind of wacko, Japanese sensibility that I thought was
pretty cool.

> You might also try Donkey Kong Country (classic Rare game), Klonoa
> (recommended; puzzle-platformer), Mario & Luigi (RPG + platforming and
> action-based battles), and Wario Land 4. And don't forget Mega Man & Bass
> and Mega Man Zero 1-3. Metal Slug Advance is a combination
> platformer-shooter. I've also heard good things about Ninja Five-O.

Wow, lots of titles to explore, thanks.

> BTW, if you like platformers, I believe it's legally required around here
> that you own the three GBA Castlevania games and the two GBA Metroid games.

I'll have to comply once my credit card recovers from buying the GBA, Astro
Boy, Lady Sia and Iridion II. ;-)

> If you're into Double Dragon-style beat-'em-ups, there's Advance Guardian
> Heroes (by Treasure), Gekido Advance, and River City Ransom EX.
>
> Here's a good site for reviews: http://gameboy.ign.com/
>
> HTH
>
> //mike tyndall

Thanks a ton for the generous advice, Mike.

Steve

On 9/14/04 1:15 PM, in article 41473542$0$2668$61fed72c@news.rcn.com, "John
Salerno" <johnjsal@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote:

> Well, my first recommendation to anyone who likes action/rpg is the two
> zelda oracle games. They are GBC games, not GBA, but you can still play them
> and they are just excellent. A new zelda game is coming out soon, too, for
> GBA.

Great tip, John, thanks. I haven't really considered GBC games since I tend
to go for maximum eye candy, and assumed GBA-native games would be better in
that arena.

Steve

> > Well, my first recommendation to anyone who likes action/rpg is the two
> > zelda oracle games. They are GBC games, not GBA, but you can still play
them
> > and they are just excellent. A new zelda game is coming out soon, too,
for
> > GBA.
>
> Great tip, John, thanks. I haven't really considered GBC games since I
tend
> to go for maximum eye candy, and assumed GBA-native games would be better
in
> that arena.

If you're willing to venture into GBC territory, then I highly recommend
Super Mario Bros. Deluxe. It's the original SMB (which was awesome), plus
the unreleased (in America on the NES, anyway) SMB2/Lost Levels, plus a cool
mode where you run through the levels finding things like red coins and
aiming for point targets. Great game :)

//mike tyndall

Steven Folberg wrote:
> On 9/14/04 1:15 PM, in article 41473542$0$2668$61fed72c@news.rcn.com,
> "John Salerno" <johnjsal@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Well, my first recommendation to anyone who likes action/rpg is the
>> two zelda oracle games. They are GBC games, not GBA, but you can
>> still play them and they are just excellent. A new zelda game is
>> coming out soon, too, for GBA.
>>

> Great tip, John, thanks. I haven't really considered GBC games since
> I tend to go for maximum eye candy, and assumed GBA-native games
> would be better in that arena.
>
> Steve

Obviously GBA games look much better than GBC, but the two Zelda games were
actually made with the GBA in mind, so that they look better than a normal
GBC game. There is also an extra shop that appears in the game when you play
them on a GBA, so they were sort of engineered to take advantage of the GBA.
But don't expect them to look like Golden Sun or anything. :)

Mike Tyndall wrote:

> BTW, if you like platformers, I believe it's legally required around here
> that you own the three GBA Castlevania games and the two GBA Metroid games.

Heh. "Legally required" -- I like that. :)

Any GBA owner who's serious about the GBA should have all of these games
in his or her library. They're that good, IMHO.

--
Glenn Shaw
Indianapolis, IN USA