Sign in with
Your question

NAS drive keeps disappearing

Last response: in Wireless Networking
December 1, 2010 1:19:07 PM

I have an Iomega 1TB NAS drive which is connected directly to my wireless router and when first turned on is visible to all PC's and Laptops on the network both wired and wireless.

For some reason after an undertermined amount of time the drive disappears and cannot be found, however if I restart my router it can be seen again.

I have the standard Huawei router my ISP provided me with but have tried 2 of these with no difference.

Any suggestions what may be causing this and how to fix it?

Thanks

More about : nas drive disappearing

January 10, 2011 6:40:34 AM

paxo78 said:
I have an Iomega 1TB NAS drive which is connected directly to my wireless router and when first turned on is visible to all PC's and Laptops on the network both wired and wireless.

For some reason after an undertermined amount of time the drive disappears and cannot be found, however if I restart my router it can be seen again.

I have the standard Huawei router my ISP provided me with but have tried 2 of these with no difference.

Any suggestions what may be causing this and how to fix it?

Thanks

Hi,

I have the same problem. Mine is even worse, I think, because even if I restart my router, I still can't see my NAS drive, so I have to turn on and off the device for it to be found again.

Did you get any help? Or have you figured it out?

Thanks!
January 10, 2011 6:48:43 AM

No unfortunately not although things do seem to be a little more stable at the moment.

What I am finding is that sometimes all I need to do is unplug the network cable from the router leave it a few seconds and reconnect it and everything comes back! Almost seems like there is a timeout on the router whereby if it sees no activity then it ignores it.
Related resources
January 26, 2011 6:09:22 PM

Hi ...

I've been having the same problem as well.
When I reboot the network drive, it is visible to all of my computers connected to the router.
Then, after a period, it disconnects and is not available to any of the computers.
The time between restarting the drive and disconnect can be between 10 minutes and 5 hours.
There seems to be a correlation between me accessing the drive wirelessly from my laptops and the disconnection.

Have either of you found a solution?
Thanks.
April 13, 2011 7:57:27 AM

I have exactly the same problem. It might be a fan problem - my drive seems to take itself off-line as soon as some heavy disk activity is initiated. Fan movement is weak to none. Are your coolers working correctly?
April 13, 2011 8:42:02 AM

If you aren't using your router connection for other purporses than accessing the NAS and only finding it's disconnected when you want it? If so, it could be a power saving option on your wireless adapter Properties>Power Management.

September 17, 2011 8:31:01 PM

I also have the same issue. I have skipped my router (Belkin) and connect direct to NAS via LAN cable but the problem prevail. It disconnects itself after few seconds. If i unplug the cable and plug back it self disconnect after few seconds.
Any solution to this?
October 25, 2011 10:04:50 PM

Same problem here. I can reset the power supply to the hard drive, and it will appear in 'my computer' for only a few seconds. I did notice my fan is not working at all. I'm going to take it apart and see if I can make it think the fan is working... Has anyone tried to replace the fan?
June 23, 2012 8:49:42 AM

Hi i have same problem. I called iomega helpdesk . Followed all the guidelines given by tech support. Nothing changed. So they told me it had nothing to do with them and it was due to my internet provider. So of course sky my internet provider have no clue about what i am talking about. So now stuck with no support and no one taking responsibilities. Really fed up cause never can access drive when i need it. It has now just become another hard drive without nas option.... Very expensive hard drive!
Maybe if we all complained mega would have to fix it....
I will keep looking to see if one of you it genius finds the solution as i trust u more than iomega
June 23, 2012 9:43:40 AM

Hello and welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums.

For my sins, I too have Sky and there's a possibility you can allow the NAS through the router's firewall. Assuming a black Netgear, type 192.168.0.1 into IE's URL bar and login using admin as the name and sky as the password. Click Advanced and look for the firewall settings, making sure everything is allowed.

June 23, 2012 12:37:08 PM

worldita said:
Hi i have same problem. I called iomega helpdesk . Followed all the guidelines given by tech support. Nothing changed. So they told me it had nothing to do with them and it was due to my internet provider. So of course sky my internet provider have no clue about what i am talking about. So now stuck with no support and no one taking responsibilities. Really fed up cause never can access drive when i need it. It has now just become another hard drive without nas option.... Very expensive hard drive!
Maybe if we all complained mega would have to fix it....
I will keep looking to see if one of you it genius finds the solution as i trust u more than iomega

There's a difference between the NAS not showing up in Network Places or from any similar discovery process, vs., not being accessible, at all.

Can you at least access the device directly, via IP? Let's assume it's using IP address 192.168.1.100, you could access it in several ways (assuming it supported these protocols, of course):

Windows Share:
\\192.168.1.100\<share-name>

Browser:
http://192.168.1.100

FTP:
ftp://192.168.1.100

Do any of these work?
June 23, 2012 12:47:42 PM

Thanks for two replies. I am going to try when it goes idle / disappears and see what comes up. Just for info when on laptop and disappeared it says no device connected but i ll try your test. Thanks
June 23, 2012 4:17:18 PM

Hi Saga Lout. Concerning firewall inbound blocked and outbound open. Should i open inbound? Is this not risky? I mean can people access my files if open? Thanks.
June 24, 2012 6:27:38 AM

I shouldn't have said open inbound because it could leave you vulnerable and because the NAS isn't an inbound connection, that setting wouldn't affect it anyway. I'm in the wrong network at the moment so I can get to my Sky router but I though the firewall was more configurable than just those two settings.

June 24, 2012 5:25:32 PM

Hi I tried everything with my IP address and it says could not connect. Also on the iomega storage manager it says device is currently unavailable although it is on and was working fine three hours ago.
Any other ideas? I am tempted to sale it!
June 24, 2012 6:11:59 PM

In the router's settings, does the NAS show as an Attached Device and if not, does it when you click on Refresh?

June 24, 2012 7:24:09 PM

Can you at least ping the NAS's IP address? Does it respond?
September 5, 2012 3:39:03 PM

eibgrad said:
Can you at least ping the NAS's IP address? Does it respond?

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem. Since last week, the 1TB Iomega "disconnects" from Windows and is not recognisable from the Iomega Store Manager
However, I can still ping it!!

Help appreciated if its been solved
December 24, 2012 6:38:59 PM

MAKE SURE PORT FORWARDING THRU YOUR ROUTER

PORT FORWARD SETTINGS ARE
REMOTE ACCESS UPD 50500
TCP 443
STREAM UDP/TCP BOTH 50599

IF YOU HAVE A MAC AND A PC CONNECTED TO THE ROUTER REMOVE ONE OR THE OTHER. DO NOT KEEP BOTH ON THE SAME ROUTER. NAS DISCONNECTS WHEN PC SHUTS DOWN I BOUGHT A WIRELESS ADAPTER FOR THE PC AND NOW ITS ALL WORKING...

ASK ME I MIGHT HAVE A SOLUTION
December 24, 2012 6:45:06 PM

Feel free to ask any question regarding your iomega nas problems and connectivity issues and I will try to post a fix solution for your problem here..
February 18, 2013 4:54:05 PM

Hi, I'm having this exact issue with a Western Digital World Book NAS 1TB. I can ping the device all day long, but it will not connect to it no matter which way I try. I tried even FTP and SSH from Powershell and PuTTY and nothing. If it reboot the device though it works fine.
February 27, 2013 10:44:50 AM

Same here. I have a 2TB and a 1TB network hard-drive. I can use these drives for a short while then they disappear.
I can toggle the power source then I`m good to go for awhile. I have set these drives not to fall asleep with no luck.
Whats strange is I can ping these drives but no access.
February 27, 2013 12:30:06 PM

Given the fact it does work for a while tells me it’s not a configuration issue. It sounds more like bad firmware, as if the FTP or SMB servers on these devices are failing/crashing. And then once you reboot the device, those processes are obviously restarted and eventually fail/crash again.

If that's the case, then the only solution is either a firmware update (check w/ the manufacturer), or consider it a lost cause. And unless it’s under warranty, you might have to jailbreak the HD from the enclosure and try a better, more reliable, standalone enclosure.

April 8, 2014 5:14:24 PM

This thread looks like it might be long dead but, going to take a shot and see if I get any reply here. I have a client with a Thecus N2520, who has several networked PCs, multiple are wireless, but the one culprit seems to be a e-net wired desktop, accessing the NAS box, and it loses connection to the NAS, while retaining connection to the LAN/internet. The OTHER pcs retain their connection to the NAS device interestingly enough. The only thing they say will resolve the problem, is powering off the NAS and back on. Any thoughts?
April 17, 2014 5:01:27 AM

I have a N7700pro, it drops some connections accross my network and prevents access to mapped network drives when the clock moves out of sync with the ad server and clients by more than 2 minutes. When syncing with time.windows.com it returns a time 3 minutes different to the servers (also synced with time.windows.com). I am still working on the time issue but as a temporary fix set the time manually and see if it brings your mapped network drives back to life. Hope this helps
April 25, 2014 9:48:44 PM

Similar issue. IOMEGA NAS drive. After a while, network connection to the drive is lost. I've tried sustaining the connection with a continuous ping operation. After a random amount of time, the drive will be unreachable ("Destination hos unreachable"). I have been trying to copy data off the drive for days but it continually stops after a while and I have to remove power from the drive and reapply to get it back online. Drive appears fine. Really seems like the network interface is the issue. The router is fine and everything else stays connected...only this drive drops off. I upgraded the firmware and no luck.

Any idea what it would take to remove the drive and access it directly?
May 2, 2014 2:24:59 AM

I have exactly the same thing with my IOMega CloudStore and while I see similar problems with this device, I truly doubt that the problem is caused by myself or the rest of my infrastructure.

I resolve the issue by rebooting de NAS, which is very anoying.

Anyone found a solution jet?

Rgrdz
May 5, 2014 9:56:08 AM

vos00819 said:
I have exactly the same thing with my IOMega CloudStore and while I see similar problems with this device, I truly doubt that the problem is caused by myself or the rest of my infrastructure.

I resolve the issue by rebooting de NAS, which is very anoying.

Anyone found a solution jet?

Rgrdz

Have you tried renaming the device? Looks like the LenovoEMC uses an unfortunate name "ix2". ix2 exists on the Internet and assuming the box utilizes DNS for it's various cloud based stuff, it would get stepped on.

June 9, 2014 3:30:08 PM

This is so strange. I have a Buffalo Linkstation and am having the exact problems everyone else is having. I have 2 Win7 PC's one wired and one wireless laptop.

For example, I have a folder on the root called "Movies". Trying to access that folder I would get "The Directory Name Is Invalid" or the folder will be empty. Then if I try to access that same folder from the other PC, I can see it just fine.

If I reboot the Linkstation, I can see all drives just fine from everywhere. It's a little frustrating to have an unreliable storage and backup device.
July 1, 2014 9:43:32 AM

I am having the issue to with an IOMEGA Home Media Harddrive and a Linksys E2000 router configured as an AP with DD-WRT firmware. I am unable to ping the router when this happens so everything connected to it is also hidden. Oddly, I can still use the router as an AP to connect my desktop to the internet, but cannot reach other devices such as the IOMEGA.

Makes me think its a router issue somehow.
July 4, 2014 6:30:28 AM

Like many on this thread I have an IOMEGA nas that disappears off the network until I reboot the nas drive.

At first this happened once every couple months, then once a month, once a week, then daily, then finally I get anywhere from 5 minutes to about 2 hours before it vanishes. I also noticed that it would crash if I tried to copy multiple files at once off the drive.

So while I still had some access to the drive I decided to start moving the data off of the drive. My Iomega was 3TB with about 1/2 full.

Well guess what? When I started moving my movies off the drive (copy 1st then go to the nas and delete) and the drive space dropped down to 1/3 full - THE NAS STABILITY INCREASED!

Now I have just 1 TB of data on the 3TB nas and it's been up for over 24 hours.

Not the greatest solution I know, but for others with this problem, try taking your movies off the drive and see if that helps.
July 7, 2014 11:27:00 AM

I have a 2TB IOMega Home Media NAS and experience the same disappearing drive problem. My NAS is only about 15% full .. so it is not an issue with disk space. To reset the NAS after it disappears, I am able to open the device's Web page (its IP address in a browser), go to the System Status icon (which says all is well and good), and from there I do a Restart. After the restart, all is well for a while until I start using the NAS (especially after adding some files to it) .. then it disappears. After it recovers, the added files appear to have been transferred successfully.

Very disappointing experience. I've tried other configuration changes without noticeable improvement. I am considering dumping the IOMega and getting a Synology entry level NAS (2 drives with RAID 0). Any opinions on the upgrade?
July 17, 2014 10:05:56 AM

Same problem here. I have 2 NAS devices - Synology and Buffalo. This has been a problem for years, but has gotten much worse since upgrading to Windows 8 on our laptop and desktop. Problem occurs both via Wi-Fi on the laptop and Ethernet/wired connection on the desktop. I've disabled the Green Ethernet/Energy Efficient Ethernet settings on the Gig card to see if that helps. I'll change this setting on the laptop's wi-fi adapter as well if I see improvements. Power saving on the NAS is set to 1 hour and disconnects happen well before an hour and the NAS is not sleeping. Also tried changing the autodisconnect setting (turned off) on both computers via the net config server command. This did not help.

Any other ideas out there? This is a pain since I access an Outlook PST file from both computers (therefore must store it on the NAS) and Outlook totally bombs when it can't access the PST file for any reason.
July 19, 2014 8:05:51 PM

I have had the same problem.. For me it wound up being an overheating issue. Then tiny internal fan does not cool the unit sufficiently. (design flaw?) I replaced the internal fan...same problem. I then placed a small external personal fan facing my NAS and presto..problem solved. Hope this helps.
3 minutes ago

The problem with the disappearing Iomega NAS can be related to the Iomega software installed on it.
I tried many possible solutions. Fixed IP address, re-installing the iomega software, other network cable, other router port, removed the NAS from the casing so temperature went down and so on but nothing helped.

Then recently i read an article about OpenMediaFault. This is an debian based system for NAS.
I have installed this and my system is stable now for a couple of days. No matter the load i put on it with backing up from several PC at the same time and so on, it remains available all the time.

You can find the procedure for installing OpenMediaFault on your NAS by following this link:
http://stefanseidel.info/component/content/article/1-ge...
How to do configuration for NAS usage can be found here (scroll down to “configuration”):
http://ostechnix.wordpress.com/2013/01/17/openmediavaul...

It is perhaps a bit less user friendly then the original Iomega software but hey, it works.
I hope this is of use for you

Cheers
!