Sign in with
Your question

2 multi-questions, Core unlocking, and OC.

Last response: in CPUs
August 29, 2011 5:18:24 PM

Example CPU: Phenom II x3 720 BE

So say you successfully unlock the 4th core on a Phenom II x3 720 BE, how would you know if it's unstable or not.
If it's unstable how do you convert back to the 3rd core? Have never tried anything like this. Will it still run as good at the X3?, Will it still OC like a BE version?

OC, Will oc shorten the life of the Phenom II x3 720 BE,
And Is 2 Mhz worth of OC a lot? 2.8 ghz-3.0ghz.
With a CM Hyper 212+ what kind of OC would maintain the most Stability.

Ty :) 

a b à CPUs
August 29, 2011 5:38:29 PM

2.8-3.0 Ghz is a 200 Mhz OC.

The simplest way to know if a core is stable is to run it under Prime95 or some other test for a period of time, the same way you would if you were testing an overclock. If the core is a fully stable one, unlocking should turn the CPU into a Phenom II x4 BE, so it should overclock by multiplier scaling.

I also have never tried unlocking a CPU, and I don't know how to revert it, but I'd assume that you follow the instructions you used to unlock it in reverse :p 

As for stability, it depends on the chip. Some chips may push higher frequencies than others because they are better. Using the same cooler and the same model of chip will not always yield the same overclocked frequency.

For anything else, hopefully someone more knowledgeable than me has the answer.
m
l
August 29, 2011 9:42:16 PM

how can i look for instability on prime 95?

and if it's unstable how can i revert it back?
m
l
Related resources
a c 150 à CPUs
August 29, 2011 10:07:09 PM

Core unlocking is a function of your motherbds bios. On some boards its a simple as pressing the 4 key during post to attempt to unlock and on others its a setting in the bios. To revert to x3 you simply do not press 4 during post or you go into the bios and disable core unlocking.

Using prime 95 (P95) could be an article by itself. Before attempting to overclock (OC) build your system at stock levels, do put on the better cooler, and use P95 to verify that your system is stable. Torture test with small fft's to test cpu, large fft's to test memory and cpu, and blend to really stress cpu everything. I usually start with large fft's and if thats clean I let blend run until I am happy.

If p95 doesnt' crash / lock up your system or error out the you have passed. P95 usually stops if it detects an error or warning which is posted at the bottom of its window. its also displayed when you stop testing and should read errors:0 warnings:0

once you have a stable system then you can begin experimenting. I suggest 1 change at a time and retesting for stability. For instance I would attempt to unlock a core first and P95 test it before trying to OC it. then OC and P95 test again. If you do both at once and have problems you won't know which change is the cause.
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 29, 2011 10:41:21 PM

heyitsken said:
how can i look for instability on prime 95?

well, there are 2 ways,

1. is if your computer keeps restarting (or blue screens) everytime the test is ran.

2. I could be wrong but i think P 95 also gives an error during the test if there some issue to the cpu. (could be wrong as i've not experienced one my self.)
m
l
August 30, 2011 1:57:58 PM

I just unlocked the 4th core and turned it into a Phenom II x4 20 O.O, and um the temps cannot be read by core temp .99.8 for some reason.
m
l
August 31, 2011 1:58:30 AM

All 3 softwares couldn't read the temps when the 4th core was unlocked, after stress testing, 4th core was unstable. Froze up the comp when i started prime95 up, I have some oc issues with the mhz side, i pumped it up 10mhz and my motherboard told me, to change the frequency because comp is running in fail safe mode.
m
l
!