Is this normal for a monitor?

ideaman

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2011
I recently purchased an Asus Vh236h monitor and have been pretty satisfied by its performance. However, I noticed that It makes strange noises at certain times and the screen flickers after logging into Windows. I notice the noise while I am playing certain games like Black Ops and Minecraft, it makes a low buzzing noise. I don't think that it's coming from the speakers either. In Minecraft, it only makes the noise while I am in the menu, or in the game looking up or down. It also makes a humming noise when I move my mouse around. I don't think that this is normal, but, this is my first lcd monitor, so i'm not sure what to think. Please help.

striker410

Distinguished
Hey Ideaman, welcome to the forums.
Let's do a little debugging. Can you plug headphones into the same port where the sound is plugged in? Then do the things that cause issues and listen for the sounds. The results will be pretty obvious as to where the issue is.

Also, try plugging the monitor into something else, like an ipod. Does it make the music buzz?

I think the screen flicker is normal. Might just be our monitors :p

ideaman

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2011
Alright, thanks for replying. I tried using headphones while playing those games and the noise still comes from the monitor. But, when I unplugged the audio cable from my monitor, the noise stopped. So i think it must be coming from the speakers.

ps3hacker12

Distinguished
first plug the headphones in, then right click on the little speaker icon in the bottom right corner of your screen then press playback devices:
playback.png

next your headphones should be on the list (for me its just speakers), tick that and press apply:
playback2.png

see if that works.