Help with ram

Tags:
  • Asus
  • RAM
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
May 18, 2012 4:22:12 AM

Hello,
anyone out there care to help me with brand new ram that crashes my system?

More about : ram

a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
May 18, 2012 4:30:32 AM

Can you link all of your computer specs? Can't help if we don't have all of the system information. Please include:
* CPU
* Motherboard
* RAM
* PSU
* GPU
* What is happening that you suspect the RAM is the cause of the problem
m
l
May 18, 2012 4:33:43 AM

okay, this quick message thing is not what i expected.

here's the deal. built a system, didn't have problems for a long time, then one day i started getting crashes. after a long while, i narrowed it down to the ram.

my system is as follows:
amd phenom ii x6 1100t
asus m4a88td-v
western digital caviar black
w7 pro
600w power supply
radeon 6850

i started with patriot viper ii sector 7 eidtion ram. its 12gb (or 8, or 4, depending on how many i put in...) ddr3 1333 9-9-9-24 if it matters.

a week ago i borrowed a friend's corsair "gaming memory." its 4gb (2x2) ddr3 1600 9-9-9-24. putting it in and letting the mobo restart a few times and set itself as auto, i didnt have a single problem. i threw everything at it that used to crash my computer, all at once, over and over and over, and it all went smooth as could be.

so i ordered some new memory, figuring the patriot stuff was bad. i got some crucial ballistix elite, it is 8gb (2x4) ddr3 2000 9-11-9-27. i set it manually to those timings at 1856 mhz (or whatever the exact number is, i think that was it), or i set it to "auto" and it finds itself at 1257 (or something close to that) at 9-9-9-24, i even set it to 9-11-9-27 at 1257 mhz... it crashes. right now its on auto, and i can browse the internet, but i cant even do simple photoshop stuff. i was running a webcam and doing demanding photoshop stuff, and running a bunch of other programs, while using the corsair sticks.

right now im on the auto settings. i dont have to ever restart my computer, i just ask it to do something hard. well not hard, just not super easy.

so what is going on?

i would very much like to get this new ram working, seeing as how i spent a good deal of money on it. forget overclocking it, at this point, i just want it to stop crashing.

does this really have to be so difficult?
m
l
Related resources
May 18, 2012 4:35:00 AM

also, the vid card is a few weeks old, i used to rely on the on board one. the crashing was going on a long time before i got it.
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
May 18, 2012 4:42:56 AM

Well there could be a few things here, but I would double check that your new RAM needs 1.5v or something higher (usually 1.65v) to run at the listed speed (1866 mHz, I'm guessing).
* Did you do any manual settings for your "friends" RAM when you had it in your system?
* You could also have a PSU issue with these issues (pretty slim chance, but possible).
* You could also have a slot or two RAM slots that are iffy and don't like your old RAM or new RAM, but work fine with your "friends" RAM.
m
l
May 18, 2012 4:44:17 AM

Honestly it sounds like north bridge issue on your motherboard my man. what is your ht speed at currently also could be psu have you checked your volage outputs and ram voltage settings?
m
l
May 18, 2012 4:48:52 AM

the ram voltage settings are correct- it is 1.65V and has always been set there, i have not checked the psu, but i really doubt its the problem because i cant crash this thing if i try with my friend's ram now matter how hard i try.

(by the way, the rating is 1.65V).

however, i DID happen to have my friends ram in slots 2 and 4, while right now i have the new sticks in slots 1 and 3... i will switch them really quick, and then see what happens.

i am not too hopeful, however, because with the old patriot ram, i tried a single stick in each slot one at a time, and was able to crash it every time.
m
l
May 18, 2012 5:01:01 AM

okay, so its late, and i need to sleep soon. if i do not reply within a few minutes, it means i was still able to crash my system, in which case i am done for the night and will subsequently drink until i fall asleep.

if i do, well, i couldn't crash it yet.

thank you everyone for your help, by the way.
m
l
May 18, 2012 5:12:34 AM

well holy poop. i did the PS task that was consistently able to crash my system five times now, and not once did it crash. the difference? my ram was in slots 2 and 4, rather than 1 and 3.

i think i will do an experiment this weekend with the old patriot ram in slots 2 and 4 to see what happens as well. interesting.

but before i get celebratory, i do not consider this fixed yet. when i am able to complete this same PS task ten times while chatting on a webcam (proven to be the most surefire way to crash this thing in the past) with twenty tabs open in chrome, then i'll know it's solved. (did that with the corsair sticks as it happens.)

anyway, check back, i'll be updating.
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
May 18, 2012 6:59:36 AM

Depending on how far you want to go with this problem, you could probably RMA your mobo with ASUS (assuming it's still covered under the 3 yr. warranty). Or you could just stick with slots 2 and 4 and live with not using slots 1 & 3.
m
l
May 18, 2012 1:26:19 PM

if it is, in fact, 3 years, i will be in contact with them for sure.

m
l
May 18, 2012 1:27:23 PM

i should also mention that when i got this mobo brand new, the on board sound didn't work either. long story (available upon request), i had a $100 sound card for a year for free without even knowing it, so i decided to let that one slide.

not too impressed with asus right now...
m
l
a c 109 Ĉ ASUS
a c 229 V Motherboard
May 18, 2012 1:41:13 PM

Run Memtest86+ ?

This appears to be a RTFM issue......Looking at your manual.....page 2-12

It very clearly says what you appear to have discovered by trial and error that:

2 RAM modules should be installed in Slots A1 and B1 which are the 2nd and 4th from the CPU.
3 RAM modules should be installed in Slots A1, B1 and C1 which are the 2nd, 4th and 6th from the CPU.

There's pictures and a table showing the proper configuration, if you look at that, it would be hard to put em in wrong.
m
l
May 18, 2012 11:55:28 PM

my manual does not say that. the instruction for putting the RAM in is actually on page 2-10, and under two sticks, it does not specify, but rather shows both options in a picture.

also, i have previously crashed this thing with a single stick, the manual says install it in any slot when it's a single stick. i was able to do this with many different single sticks in more than one slot (at a time).

m
l
May 19, 2012 12:07:44 AM

on the plus side, i am currently throwing everything at it that would normally crash it at once, and it's holding up just fine...
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
May 19, 2012 3:05:51 AM

Good to hear that it's working for you. I would consider contacting ASUS and telling them what is happening. If you want to, than you should be able to get a new/repaired one back. This would probably take 3-5 weeks though, so that would have to be taken into consideration.
m
l
May 19, 2012 6:06:18 AM

well it turns out i spoke too soon. (shocking). i just crashed this thing doing almost nothing. (telling chrome to restore four measly tabs it had open before.)

then, upon start up, i tried the same thing, and it immediately crashed again.

it's up and running now. but the problem remains.

any idea what's going on? is the ENTIRE memory module screwed up? is it possible that my hard drive or something is what's failing? nothing is consistent. it was working with memory stressing tasks, then it crashes while doing comparatively nothing.

twice.
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
May 19, 2012 6:17:53 AM

Do you crash when not "recovering" your tabs?
m
l
May 19, 2012 4:05:13 PM

this is the first time I've crashed during that particular task.

usually it's something like doing an automerge in photoshop, or using my webcam. playing a snes rom used to do it too pretty quick. but now, i was able to do all that at once and I thought it was fine. until now.

lunyone said:
Do you crash when not "recovering" your tabs?

Yes, this last time I was opening a new tab and running a virus scan. Before that, I was uploading some songs into iTunes. Before that, I don't remember, but chrome, if open at all, was idling. I had walked away from the computer, came back, it had crashed.
m
l
May 19, 2012 4:19:40 PM

and it just happened once more. what was i doing? nothing, really.

here's what some recent "who crashed" analyses say...

Bug check description: This bug check indicates that the Intel CPU generated a trap and the kernel failed to catch this trap.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver which cannot be identified at this time.

Bug check description: This indicates that Microsoft Windows or a kernel-mode driver accessed paged memory at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver which cannot be identified at this time.

Bug check description: This bug check indicates that a fatal hardware error has occurred. This bug check uses the error data that is provided by the Windows Hardware Error Architecture (WHEA).
This is likely to be caused by a hardware problem problem. This problem might be caused by a thermal issue.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time.

Bug check description: This indicates that Microsoft Windows or a kernel-mode driver accessed paged memory at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.

Bug check description: This bug check indicates that a fatal hardware error has occurred. This bug check uses the error data that is provided by the Windows Hardware Error Architecture (WHEA).
This is likely to be caused by a hardware problem problem. This problem might be caused by a thermal issue.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time.

Bug check description: This indicates that the page frame number (PFN) list is corrupted.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. This might be a case of memory corruption. More often memory corruption happens because of software errors in buggy drivers, not because of faulty RAM modules.

m
l
May 20, 2012 3:39:38 AM

Another crash, another update.

It finally did it with the Corsair memory. I have a brand new hard drive with a brand new, fresh, and fully updated version of W7 on it. I have been through 3 sets of RAM. I have never once been using the DVD drive when it crashed. It has been happening long before I got my video card.

The only consistent things are the processor, the power supply, and the motherboard. I am very suspicious of the motherboard. The power supply wouldn't have been particularly stressed all the times that I've crashed it, or at least most of them. The processor, I can't honestly say I know what it's up to, but it hasn't been particularly stressed either.

Given some of the reviews on my particular motherboard, I think it is a northbridge (or whatever) issue.

So my question to everyone is- what would you recommend I do to formally diagnose this motherboard? Is one of those PCI cards the way to go? Is there software?

And, should I try to update the BIOS? I hear that's not something you want to do unless you know you have to.

Thanks.
m
l
May 20, 2012 6:17:46 AM

Try switching to your old ram. or it could be your graphics card, can try to reinstall the drivers on it.
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
May 20, 2012 9:57:18 AM

Updating the BIOS is almost paramount with your issues. There are some bug fixes with almost any BIOS update. If you update the BIOS, you might get rid of all of the problems, you might not, but at this point I think you should do it.
m
l
May 20, 2012 2:51:18 PM

superman1370 said:
Try switching to your old ram. or it could be your graphics card, can try to reinstall the drivers on it.

Thanks, but this has been going on before I had a graphics card, and I have had three different sets of RAM in it in all possible slot combinations.
m
l
May 20, 2012 2:52:20 PM

lunyone said:
Updating the BIOS is almost paramount with your issues. There are some bug fixes with almost any BIOS update. If you update the BIOS, you might get rid of all of the problems, you might not, but at this point I think you should do it.

As I'd suspected, but I wanted to verify before I did it. Will do, and will report back soon enough.
m
l
May 23, 2012 1:59:23 AM

Well, so far so good, but that doesn't mean much yet...

Does anyone know of a good program or hardware or whatever to check a motherboard for issues?
m
l
!