4 DDR3-1600 memory modules only working at 1333, is it RAM or MOBO?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaske

Honorable
May 18, 2012
Hi

This is my first post at Tom's hardware so i hope I am in the right section.

I recently assembled my new computer:

ASRock Z77 extreme4
Intel i5-3570K 3.4Ghz
4x4gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600 1.5V RAM
Mushkin 240gb SSD
OCZ Z Series 650W PSU
Radeon HD4870 GPU

But in the beginning i was experiencing spontaneous reboots so after reading on several forums and running various tests i narrowed it down to being the memory that failed (with multiple errors in Memtest86+). I tried running each of the memory modules in pairs of 2 and all of them ran at DDR3-1600 with no errors. But as soon as all 4 modules were inserted the errors occured. So as suggested on forums i tried adjusting the voltages, but this only increased the number of errors. Finally i adjusted the RAM clock from DDR3-1600 to DDR3-1333 and now I am running without errors - but dissapointed that my RAM does not deliever what was promised.

In your expert opions, what is the issue here? (and how can i fix it?)

Thank you very much in advance for your help!

psaus

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
When you had success (no errors), did you only use sockets 1&2 (or whatever they are labeled)? Try using 1 or 2 modules in the other sockets (sockets you'd use when populating with 3 or 4 modules total) and see if the memtest errors come back.

Basically, could be a bad socket(s) on the mobo...

Kaske

Honorable
May 18, 2012
Psaus: I tried all combinations of modules and sockets and as long as i only have 2 modules in it runs with no errors.

Geekapproved: My memory is this: CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9B - Corsair Vengeance 4 x 4 GB or are you asking about the mobo? I think i found these RAMs to be recommended on a forum somewhere, but not 100% certain.

Kaske

Honorable
May 18, 2012
Thanks for your replies, very confusing that such subtle differences can make the RAM incompatible with my Mobo :(

Doubt I can exchange the RAM as they have been used, unless i find someone in the opposite situation needing my specific model of RAM.

Status
Not open for further replies.