gigabyte gtx 560 soc or the hd 6950 2gb(flashed to 6970)

robbiep28

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2011
I can afford both and I would like to know which one would perform better an 1080p on games like sc2 bfbc2 and Cod games. I want to know which is better purely on performance. :)

Sorry, I don't have a specific review of the latest version of the Gigabyte SOC, as they are all of the original 1000 mhz version. However, the Zotac GTX 560 AMP! card is clocked at 950 mhz, just like the new Gigabyte SOC, so performance will be similar. The SOC will also overlcock much higher than 950 mhz due to its high quality components and silent and effective Windforce cooler. No BIOS tweaking necessary! (Although not shown, Starcraft 2 significantly favors Nvidia cards.)

"Gigabyte throws in a disarming array of SO-specific technology with the card. How does 2oz copper PCB, tier one Samsung/Hynix memory, Japanese solid capacitors, ferrite-core chokes, an NEC Tokin Proadlizer that lowers electronic noise and increases power efficiency, and a seven-phase PWM design grab you."
http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=28624

bfbc2_1920_1200.gif

cod4_1920_1200.gif

Overclocking will give a nice boost:

perf_oc.gif

those charts are very odd matto17secs. I generally agree with what you say and all but those charts look a little bit cherry picked. so i searched and basically came up with the same results......except.....this review shows the gigabyte card and it also takes things further than 1900x1200 and adds 8xAF, where you start to see the power of the AMD cards http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/40552-nvidia-geforce-gtx-560-ti-roundup-asus-evga-gigabyte-msi-17.html no most people will stick with 1080p and 4xaa, bust still some food for thought.

robbiep28

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2011

So if I get the 950 mhz soc will I be able to OC it to over 1ghz core and 2000 shaders?

Thanks, crowe, I totally forgot to look up Hardware Canucks. Since he's gaming at 1080 resolution, there's not much point in looking at 2560x1600 benchmarks. To be fair, these are for the 1000 mhz version of the SOC. A key here is the minimum frame rates, leaning significantly towards the SOC. For me, to get this kind of performance out of the box, without having to flash the BIOS is a pretty good deal.

GTX-560-ROUNDUP-49.jpg

"In past reviews, Gigabyte’s Super Overclock series has run the gamut from impressive to lackluster but the GTX 560 Ti version surpasses expectations and breaks into the extraordinary category. From in-game performance to thermals to near silent operation, this card literally has it all."

"At $269, the Super Overclock is far from the least expensive GTX 560 on the market right now. However, a mere $20 premium is a small price to pay for a card that has the ability to crush a HD 6950 1GB and run neck and neck with the GTX 570."

"Gigabyte has one hell of a product on their hands. In our opinion, if you are looking for a GTX 560 Ti the Super Overclock is the card to get right now."
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/40552-nvidia-geforce-gtx-560-ti-roundup-asus-evga-gigabyte-msi-22.html