PNY Technologies Deceptive Marketing Practices! Geforce GTX 570 Cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

ricky_005

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2011
PNY Technologies Deceptive Marketing Practices! Geforce GTX 570 Cards

They are a cheaper non-reference versions of the 570 and defrauding consumers out of hard earned money!

I would caution against buying PNY's products. PNY's warranty will only replace or repair a card under warranty, and if they no longer manufacture your card, and cannot fix it, you are out of luck. A new PNY card using a GF100 (such as the 470) being sold at Newegg has no warranty. If you value warranty at all, PNY's is wishy-washy at best and nonexistent at worst.

Here are the Photo links of the Fraudulent PNY GTX 570 Card I received from NewEgg
http://www.flickr.com/photos/47333305@N02/5549938903/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/47333305@N02/5550523546/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/47333305@N02/5550525840/

PNY GTX 570 http://www3.pny.com/GTX-570-1280MB-PCIe-P2954C451.aspx

"NewEgg" PNY GTX 570 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133370

I returned the card for many reasons!
1. Has a GTX 560 ti cooler = Hot GPU temps!
2. Rear Vent is non functional = Dumps heat in Computer case! "Its like Turning your Computer Case into a Easy Bake Oven. Brownies Anyone? Let me check to see if there done. " Opening Drive Bay Door " .......Yep there ready.....Come and gettem while there HOT... " Haha
3. The simple fact that I don't like the idea of giving my business to companies that practice Fraudulent Marketing!!! ( Crooks! )

NOTES:
Anyone reading this post with a good head on his shoulder will see the deception from the poster try to discredit the propose of this post. These poster may have ties with Newegg, PNY Technologies ,entities with motives unforeseen, or simply have no common sense.

There are other post by me in-which I clearly expose the negative design aspect of a Non-Reference Design Nvidia card. In most all of the Non-Reference Designs they are simply a cheaper design & possible may add some pleasing Aesthetics, but by no means support all the various Industry Computer Case Design Standards. The main Concern in the Non-Reference Design is the great amount of heat generated from the GPU being exhausted into the Computer Case for the sake of more money in there pockets, and less in yours. The Nvidia Reference Design is a well thought out engineered design which will be in total compliance with all case manufactures. The main reason manufactures turn to a Non-Reference design is quite simple...Its Cheaper, yet they still demand Reference Design MSRP or Greater.

Peace Out..........

Solution
Wrong, most of the "top" cards have external exhaust and most of the "mainstream" cards have internal exhaust because high-end buyers care more about these things.

benski

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
If you have a well ventilated case then having a card that doesn't exhaust externally isn't a problem. You can only push so much air out of a 1/2 inch tall slot without producing a horrible whining noise (probably similar to the sound you made while posting this) so most high performance coolers will exhaust into the case.

Sorry but it sounds to me like you're blaming PNY for your crappy case ventilation. Not only that but seriously, you have it next to a pic of your fudge brownies? Really? :non:

RMA the card ASAP if it's not what you wanted and it's not what's in the pictures new egg put up. They will probably be just as surprised as you and none to happy about it. RMAs cost them money after all and it looks like a few people have already RMA'd that particular card.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Wrong, most of the "top" cards have external exhaust and most of the "mainstream" cards have internal exhaust because high-end buyers care more about these things.

He got a different card than the one he ordered, so yes he should RMA it. He should also be making a stink about it, just as he is now.

You can look back at past SBM series to see how bad an effect this can have on an otherwise well-designed system. Two SBM machines, one overclocked great the other not so much, the big difference being the type of GPU cooler. I'm speaking of CPU overclocking too. It's not uncommon to see a CPU temperature increase over 10C from the use of internally-vented graphics cards, and that's in "good" cases.

Solution

benski

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
There isn't a single aftermarket VGA cooler for sale on newegg that doesn't exhaust into the case. While reference models of the "top" cards may be EE, the ones that consistently review the best for overclocking almost always exhaust at least partially inside the case.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, the PENALTIES for buying a cooler that's not designed specifically to fit your card include triple-slot spacing and EXTREME increases in case temperature. Most people test them outside the case so they can have a chance of "winning".

benski

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010

Interesting. I would have assumed that all the custom coolers that come out on cards after the initial reference models are released would be an improvement over the originals. Models like the Hawk, Twin Forzr, Gigabyte Windforce 3x, and ASUS Direct CU Top all get good reviews for there cooling, I would not have guessed that they are inferior to the reference models.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Suitability of an internally-vented card really depends on case design, just like the guy I initially argued against said, but my point is that a well-designed case may work "perfectly" with one card and "horribly" with the other where the only solution is to "add noise" with faster case fans.

Lots of people put up with noisy cases in order to support quiet graphics cards? That seems to be the trade-off, most quiet cards vent into the case while most quiet cases produce quiet systems even when used with somewhat-noisy cards.

ricky_005

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2011
Fixed Links.........

Quick note.... It was to be installed in my personal HP Z800 Workstation.

There's No way I would install a High Heat Output Graphics card unit that vents the heat inside that case.

my PNY gtx 570 is great silent and cool, 800 mhz core stable with stock volts, what more could you ask for @ 304 AR, maybe you got a lemon but no company will send you a new card if they stop manufacturing it, and why would they, the whole concept of a lifetime warranty is bs anyways bc no gpu will last forever, all in all I couldnt be happier, sorry you are upset with your purchase.

ricky_005

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2011

Hummm...... what could I ask more of from NewEgg and PNY .......... Show a Photo of what your really selling. Is that asking for to much?

Wow, that is pretty bad. Was it actually a 570? Not sure how they got that to work.

One thing though ricky, if I remember correctly, I think Newegg allows the manufacturers to make their own product pages (which means pictures as well). Even if I am wrong about that, Newegg may have been tricked as well (they don't check every box). Have you notified them of the incorrect product pictures (beyond submitting a review)? Generally they are good about correcting their mistakes - especially big ones like this. Good luck and enjoy your new card.

ricky_005

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2011
NewEgg is quite aware of the deceptive Photos. They have been notified by me and others which have posted on newegg product page and have returned there merchandise for this reason.

Newegg is just a guilty as PNY for allowing this to continue for this product item. I am sure there are many other products which newegg is selling which are being deceptively marketed for the manufactures.

This is unacceptable behavior, just as governments are in turmoil for the lies and deceptions they have bestow upon the people of the world.

People of the World Stand Up and burn the Garbage of the World!

not sure if your being sarcastic or not but I think a 470 for 180 is a pretty good deal!

ricky_005

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2011

No..... :D .....Yes its a great deal

I bought it about 4 weeks back with 10% in-store discount plus $35 rebate. This was after I returned the 570 Con for full refund from Newegg.

I know the 470 isnt the latest but it does the job well ....... another 2 years I will upgrade again so its no big deal for me to lag behind one generation for only $180 bucks. Heck I bet I get atless $100 bucks on ebay 2 years from now for the 470 :sol:

fatsoferret

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2011

i had a GTX 280 that went bad, when i RMAed it to XFX they sent me a brand new 4890

ricky_005

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2011
How about a radioactive video card from Japan ......... Guess you would call it a Glow Card...... Haha

I bet in 2 months or so you can walk into Best Buy with a Geiger Counter and watch it go nuts on chips and electronics gadgets from Japan.

Or how about newegg dumping radio active electronics from Japan..... That would make for a great new story

Wonder if a reporter will be willing to risk there career talking about that side of the story?

Status
Not open for further replies.