Home Networking Question

belltt

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2009
Looking for an easy solution....

I have a cable internet connection at home and it comes into a Watchguard UTM that I need for my home office. I use the wirless functionality of the Watchguard as my sole home internet connection (for non-work related web stuff for mee, wife & kids).

The problem is that the configuration of the Watchguard is out of my depth.....it was originally configured well to satisfy my work and home needs....but frequently after firmware updates ceratin download types or other functionaility (i.e. slingbox) will be blocked and to get them working again I need to bring in someone to re-configure.

I'm looking for an easy way to split the internet connection coming into my house and create a wireless network for home use that is independent of the Watchgaurd......and also keep my home office internet connection intact running through the Watchguard?

Any thoughts on a solution would be appreciated?

G

Correct me if wrong but Watchguard seems to be a software solution -- so I would have though disabling it when NOT connecting to work would not be a problem.

you could try to connect a router in between the modem and your Watchguard.

make sure the LAN IP of the router will be different then the one of the Watchguard.

to check the IP do the following:

Go Start then Run in XP - Windows key plus R in Vista and Windows 7, then type in the following, including all the spaces:-

cmd /k ipconfig /all

then press Enter and from the black form that shows up, take a note of the numeric code beside the Default Gateway icon - something like 192.168.111.1.

the gateway is the Watchguard's IP

therefore, if the IP is 192.168.111.1, make sure the LAN IP of the router will be different. set it to 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1.