WinchesterLa

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2011
Hi again guys,

Having a problem with my home built system and after hours or reading similar problems i am still at a loss as to what is wrong.

I built my system back in January and it has run like a dream for me so far in stock without any overclocking etc. My system is as follows

Asus M5A99X EVO 990X AM3+ MOBO
AMD FX-4100 4-Core FX Series
ANTEC Kuhler H2O 620
2x2GB CML4GX3M2A1600C9B
1GB XFX HD6770
650W POWERCOOL PC650UM MODULAR

I tried switching on my pc this morning but nothing showed on the screen, i reset the system a couple of times but still nothing. I then noticed that the CPU LED was staying on after the startup and was not turning off. I have read the sticky and checked my cables etc but i am at a loss as to what else could be the problem, it has worked for several months just fine and was working fine last night too, the problem seems to have happened while the system was off over night?

Any help would be most appreciated

Thanks in advance

Winch

make sure the power cable is securely connected to the psu
make sure the psu switch is in on position
the voltage slider is in the right position
check your front panel power and reset cables

WinchesterLa

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2011
Hi there

I have just completely stripped the system and reinstalled everything, the problem is still there.

On boot it hangs on black screen, no beeps from the mobo just the constant red cpu led

Im running out of ideas as to what it could be

Winch

WinchesterLa

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2011
I have now tried the following:

1) A non modular psu from my other working system thinking maybe the cpu or mobo was not getting enough power.
2) Removed water cooling unit cleaned and reapplied thermal
3)Removed cpu (no defects) and placed back in socket and re attached cooler (firmly in place with no movement directly over cpu and socket)
4)Checked silly things like fuses wall sockets etc.
5) Removed memory,hd,cd drive etc in order but will not post

I think i have read every topic regarding this in every forum i can find

The system shut off as normal last night with no unusal signs or messages, when it was started today there were no beeps from my mobo and have not been since (im familar with the beep sequences as i had a few when first putting system together)

No matter what i try the CPU LED is lit red.

Could my CPU have suddenly died during the night?

Please Help

Winch

Replace the motherboard.

WinchesterLa

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2011

What makes you think its the motherboard? have you encountered this problem before?

Unfortunately i dont have the access to another mobo to support my cpu, only other option would be to contact ASUS to see if they will replace it (if it is the mobo thats faulty)

Winch

It's called a defective chipset.

WinchesterLa

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2011

Thankyou for the diagnosis

ill contact ASUS and the retailer if its a defective chipset as the board is only 3 months old.

Thanks for the help

Winch

wideboyyy

Honorable
Oct 17, 2013
Same problem here. And had same problem with previous asus m4a79xtd evo board (although it didn't have the LED's to help).

Replaced everything and even RMA'd a PSU in the process. Handy to have a few friends who will lend some RAM and to have a spare CPU to hand for debug!

Anyway, what I see is same CPU LED stuck on after power-on. For a while it was intermittent and could run BF3 for hours no problem. Then eventually would not POST at all.

Replaced mobo and everything was fine with all previous components.

You could try baking the board at 50C for an hour and see if it helps - if your PC is off and in a damp room for days the moisture can seep into pcb and baking can sometimes fix it, but it's the last act of a dying man.

Going for Gigabyte UltraDurable this time and see if it will outlive the Asus's.