Sign in with
Your question

Power requirement for HP p6710f + Radeon HD 4650?

Last response: in Systems
June 4, 2011 10:40:24 AM

I recently got an HP p6710f, which only comes with a 250W power supply. I'm looking for advice on whether (and how much) to upgrade the PSU before installing any new components. I am a gamer, but a low-budget one - I tend to stay well back from the bleeding edge and stick to the $20 hits of yesteryear.

But at the very least I want to transplant my old video card to it. The card is an XFX Radeon HD 4650 1GB, which I understand is a low power-requirement card. Can I do this safely with the default power supply, or is this asking for trouble? If the later, how big a power supply do I need? Money is tight, so I don't want to get more than necessary.

I may or may not also want to add a second hard drive down the road, but I don't anticipate increasing the RAM. I figure by the time older games are big enough to need more than 4GB, it'll be time to replace the machine anyway.

Any help is appreciated.
a b ) Power supply
June 4, 2011 5:58:41 PM

You should be able to run the 4650 without any problems for now, however a new power supply would still be a good idea.

HP is not known for using high quality power supplies, and in a sub-$500 PC I am certain they did not. Just for peace of mind, you can pick up a ~400w power supply for ~$30 that will be quieter, cooler, and safer from a quality brand like Seasonic, Antec, or Corsair. 400W is sufficient for any graphic card under $150 as long as you buy from a high quality brand.
June 6, 2011 7:17:53 PM

Thanks. I ended up getting convinced to invest in a better psu, and combined with your brand advice I got a Corsair GS600. Problem is, it doesn't seem to have all the right connections! I had to put the old one back in.

While I've swapped out components in machines before, this is my first time trying to replace a power supply and it's pretty clear I don't know what I'm doing. So I'm asking for further advice. Is the GS600 supposed to work with this type of machine? If not, what am I looking for?
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
June 6, 2011 10:55:54 PM

Wow - a GS600 is waaay more powerful than you need. (not that its a bad thing)

Is this your PC? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

If so, I dont see anything strange (except that the motherboard is upside-down). What plug is the problem? Can you describe (number of pins) or photo?
June 6, 2011 11:36:12 PM

The plug I couldn't match had four "prongs" in a 2x2 arrangement. I don't see a way to attach an image or I'd just highlight it for you, but if you look at this picture of the motherboard:

...The socket for it is about 2/3rds of the way to the right and about a quarter of the way down. It's tilted compared to the other components, so it looks diamond-shaped in the picture.
June 7, 2011 12:16:36 AM

Sorry, forgot to say that, yes, that is my system. Didn't get it off of Newegg, but it's the same one.
June 7, 2011 7:19:29 AM

The connector that plugs into that has 8 holes in an 2*4 plug. It is a 4 & 8 pin compatible plug. Plug that 8 pin plug into the 4 pin connector leaving the other 4 pins free and you should be fine. It might look weird, but it should work.

I also have that PSU.
June 7, 2011 5:55:05 PM

That did it, thanks a lot. And thanks again to you too, DLW.
a b ) Power supply
June 8, 2011 1:09:30 AM

Ah you beat me too it while I was at work! Its odd that this one only has an 8-pin instead of the typical dual 4-pin that can be used together in an 8-pin slot. Both my corsair and Seasonic have 4 pin plugs. Either way, im sure Corsair wouldn't make something that wasnt universal-- so I think you are totally safe using it the way you have it.
!