Question about old AGP video cards

HagbardC

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
I'm currently building a new PC and was going to give me old one away to a friend so he can do some light gaming.

Anyway, its pretty old and uses a AGP graphics slot, which previously held a Radeon 9600 PRO which has since passed away.

So I need a new graphics card to put in there and noticed something different about the cards.

All of the newer cards that I'm seeing have three different prong things sticking out on the end of them, while my old radeon only had 2. It looks like they would still fit in the slot, but I just wanted to check to make sure there isn't some sort of incompatibility that I'm not seeing.

I'm using a P4P800SE Asus mobo by the way.

This card is an example of the three prongs I'm talking about.
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130452

Also, if the mobo uses DDR RAM, then is it a problem if your graphics card uses DDR2? Because i've currently only got 1GB of DDR RAM in there, which I may upgrade to 2GB, but either way, it isn't DDR2.

Thanks for any help

honestly, you are better ditching the old machine since the gains for the money would be minimal and DDR is pretty expensive

though the answer the mem question, Super has it right that the GPU memory has nothing to do with the memory type of the motherboard

HagbardC

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
I don't really see the point in ditching it, since I can get a 512mb agp card for $30. I mean, he's really only looking to play minecraft and maybe some older rpg's like KOTOR and stuff.

In any case, its up to him what he wants in it. I mentioned I could build him something pretty decent for $500 or less, but I don't think he wants to spend that much right now.