PC freezes while playing games

LLoydizle

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
I have a friend and lately his being having a issue. When he plays APB, BFBC2, Medal of Honour and Witcher 2, his PC freezes but he gets no blue screens. This is a new issue for him and has started occuring on Monday (30/05/2011) and I am not sure what it is so asking you experienced guys here for help :)

His specs are:

Processor: QuadCore Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300, 2333 MHz (7 x 333)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2L v2
Graphics card: GTX 460 Superclocked Edition
RAM: A 4GB Gigabyte RAM (Not sure the model)

I'm tryna get what type of RAM card exactly he has but not sure. If it is important then ask me and I will ask him and let you guys/girls know

Thanks in Advance :)

HDTH

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2011
It is difficult to say, if it has just started happening it could mean that something installed like a driver may not be working well, if he has installed something recently then i would advise to desinstall it and see if that helps. Also he may want to try to install the latest drivers for the graphics card and the motherboard. On the other hand it could be a faulty component that may have overheated but that probably seems less likely as it does not turn into a blue screen.
Hope this helps,

LLoydizle

Distinguished
May 18, 2011

Okay will let him know about this and give you the results

Thanks A Lot :)

The Greater Good

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010
You didn't mention a power supply brand or wattage. How dusty is the computer? What are the temps on the video card and CPU? Did the problem arise right after he installed Witcher 2?

The games he plays are taxing on the video card and power supply. Does his computer freeze whilst at the desktop, or only in games?

LLoydizle

Distinguished
May 18, 2011

It only freezes during games. He said witcher 2 was the only thing he installed on Sunday and he had the issue starting Monday. Il ask him about his CPU and GPU temps and Voltage next time I am able to speak to him and let you all know. Thanks alot guys/girls :)

addison

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2011
I'm not a girl....

If he had overclocked anything tell him to downclock it back to factory clock, overclocking can lead to overheating. Or the system has so much power that the PSU can't handle it, meaning that the gpu/cpu consumes so much power that the fan doesn't really help. Tell him to dust it out, if that doesn't work then tell hime to get a better PSU.