Sign in with
Your question

Fed up with 5770 xfire,best single card under $400?

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 23, 2011 11:17:33 PM

ive been using a pair of xfire xfx 5770s for about a week backed by a core i7 950 and i used multiple drivers to no avail but i play mostly alot of bc2 and it randomly locks up the system,been a single card person for a while and im fed up with crossfire,i heard it was more of a bc2 issue but i cant be to sure,anyone got any input on this?been thinking of just selling the pair grabbing a 6970 or a gtx570 and calling it a day.

i game at 1920x1080 so any gtx570 or 6970 owners who game at this resolution what are your frames with those cards in bc2?min/average/max?
i do read the benchmarks for the cards but you cant always believe what you read unless you know someone who can speak from owning one
thanks for any input you guys might have,this is my first post to toms hardare

More about : fed 5770 xfire single card 400

March 23, 2011 11:44:20 PM

using the msi x58-e pro with the onboard realtek sound its a weird issue cause i gamed for 2 hours last night without a issue i gamed for 10 mins today the game locks up as soon as i pull up task manager complete lock up,i mean you can still hear the sound and stuff,which was weird for the record everything is stock i dont overclock anything,prefer stability over performance
a c 177 U Graphics card
March 24, 2011 12:31:42 AM

does it lock up when you only use 1 5770? try each one separately. just because a game locks up doesnt mean its your video cards. Just as likely to be ram, bad hard drive sectors, motherboard, psu etc. List your full specs including psu brand/model.
March 24, 2011 4:29:46 AM

maybe as weird as it sounds i ran the game for the first time with ccc closed and msi overclock was closed just the game open,seems to be fine now ,yeah im using 10.4 c drivers cause i tried 11.2 and the crash happened way to often ,been reading around sounds like crossfire is picky with drivers,my first and probaly last amd video card purchase,had bad luck with 2 gtx580s why i went to the amd side
March 24, 2011 4:41:32 AM

iam2thecrowe said:
does it lock up when you only use 1 5770? try each one separately. just because a game locks up doesnt mean its your video cards. Just as likely to be ram, bad hard drive sectors, motherboard, psu etc. List your full specs including psu brand/model.

i havent tested with single cards yet but like i mentioned i could be playing for hours and it could happen or after 10 mins,its to random,my specs are...
core i7 950 stock speeds
msi x58-e pro
2x2gb ddr3 kingston<yeah i know dual channel
2x xfx 5770s the ones with the heatpipe heatsink like the zalman coolers
1tb seagate
antec 902 case
750 watt lsp ultra psu<not the best
21.5 inch monitor 1920x1080
bought this machine from a friend for $800 as he is upgrading to sandy bridge if i had alot more money i would have picked better psu and ram choices,trust me:p 

anyone know any good video card stress testers maybe to test for stability or see if they are good?temps never go over 58cel on either card maybe if one of my 5770s are bad ill just abandon ship and plop a 6970 in place of the other,or give my other 5770 to a friend whos still gaming with a 8800gts 512mb:p 
March 24, 2011 9:43:17 PM

well i tested both cards using furmark both came out good in the burn in test,temps hit 72cel after 5 minutes,but it was stable,i made a discovery that the bottom card is plugged into a 4x slot,anyone think that could cause issues?if i put that card in the second 16x slot,the cards will be kissing,to close for comfort
!