Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Cannot enable WAN2 as backup

Last response: in Networking
Share
August 26, 2010 11:58:28 AM

i have a dlink DI-LB604 load balancer

every time i enable the WAN 2 as a backup of WAN 1

the WAN 2 does not connects

both are PPPOE with username and password

More about : enable wan2 backup

August 26, 2010 5:25:33 PM

I'm guessing it probably acts a fail over. If wan1 fails, wan2 will go active.

Enable WAN2, unplug WAN1 and see what happens. You will likely drop connection for a few seconds until WAN2 picks up an address.
m
0
l
August 27, 2010 12:07:46 PM

riser said:
I'm guessing it probably acts a fail over. If wan1 fails, wan2 will go active.

Enable WAN2, unplug WAN1 and see what happens. You will likely drop connection for a few seconds until WAN2 picks up an address.


the enable WAN 2 as a backup of WAN 1 is not working

only pure enable is working


and certain apps stop

like QVC channel real time feed stops when i disconnect WAN 1

m
0
l
Related resources
August 27, 2010 1:16:25 PM

It would have to re-home the connection.

Can you give more detail for what is on WAN1 - cable, internet, etc. And why you need to fail over to WAN2?

It isn't likely that you WAN port will go out. A power surge or lightning strike can take it out but that'll also very likely take out WAN2 if it is plugged in.
m
0
l
August 28, 2010 8:35:40 AM

riser said:
It would have to re-home the connection.

Can you give more detail for what is on WAN1 - cable, internet, etc. And why you need to fail over to WAN2?

It isn't likely that you WAN port will go out. A power surge or lightning strike can take it out but that'll also very likely take out WAN2 if it is plugged in.



WAN1 is dsl broadband 2mbps

WAN2 is aslo dsl broadband 2mbps from a different ISP

i have real-time stock market applications which exit out even if the internet is down for 2 to 3 seconds,

therefore if ever WAN 1 is down (which it is ,once a month or so) then the apps would switch to WAN 2

same goes for WAN 2


i am observing one of my stock market apps stops and does not re-connects when i disconnect WAN 1

and certain live streaming vidoes like QVC channel also stop,
m
0
l
August 30, 2010 1:51:18 PM

riser said:
It would have to re-home the connection.

Can you give more detail for what is on WAN1 - cable, internet, etc. And why you need to fail over to WAN2?

It isn't likely that you WAN port will go out. A power surge or lightning strike can take it out but that'll also very likely take out WAN2 if it is plugged in.


please advise
m
0
l
August 30, 2010 5:06:36 PM

Ok, you're going to be SOL on what you think you want it do it. When the WAN goes down and fails over, it is a completely new connection. Your applications will fail because they don't see themselves as going to the same connection.

Technically they're going to a completely different computer system because you're using two ISPs.

If you want to do what you're doing, you're going to get stuck upgrading to a business level service which is going to cost more.

What you're trying to do sounds simple and anyone would think it is, but the reality is that everything happening on the backend is very complex. You won't be able to do what you're trying. Companies do this reguarly but they're also using equipment in the tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of dollars to do it.
m
0
l
August 30, 2010 5:35:33 PM

riser said:
Ok, you're going to be SOL on what you think you want it do it. When the WAN goes down and fails over, it is a completely new connection. Your applications will fail because they don't see themselves as going to the same connection.

Technically they're going to a completely different computer system because you're using two ISPs.

If you want to do what you're doing, you're going to get stuck upgrading to a business level service which is going to cost more.

What you're trying to do sounds simple and anyone would think it is, but the reality is that everything happening on the backend is very complex. You won't be able to do what you're trying. Companies do this reguarly but they're also using equipment in the tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of dollars to do it.


a very complex answer that was indeed

SOL what is that?

then what is fail over for?

and by the way only a few apps stop , rest are working

like bloomberg tv keeps going and QVC TV STOPS

can you please tell me why that is happening?

can any one actually using a load balancer answer my questions please
m
0
l
August 30, 2010 7:23:06 PM

SOL = crap out of luck. :) 

Fail over can be used in several ways. Sometimes to just keep an active connection to keep business running. Many cases a company may have a dedicated line like a T1 and if that T1 fails, WAN2 picks up and is connected by Cable or DSL. This is to keep core functions operating.

In your case you're trying to keep a thread incoming. The TV channel and what not really doesn't care too much about where data is going. It could be a local app is also pushing the connection back in.

As far as your Stock programs, they're operating as designed. I wouldn't want someone else taking over my connection and being able to access what I was looking at. The computer may maintain a thread to keep an application open. It could be using your external IP address; When WAN1 fails, you get a new external IP address and the application doesn't know.

On bloomberg TV and what not, I'm guessing it is browser based. If the connection drops, it'll reconnect. On your trading programs, I'm going to bet the connection is a HTTPS and using a certificate to give access, or you have a program installed on your computer to use it. Either case the connection will need to drop for security reasons.

It would be like calling your credit card company. You call in, authenticate with the person and get all the information you want. The line drops. You call back in (new line) and you have to authenticate again. This is what I'm guessing is happening to your application. On the other applications, it may retain the information and do a reconnect. It doesn't need to authenticate or it could be cookie based.

WAN1 with a fail over isn't exactly a load balancer. It is a fail over if one connection reaches a predefined saturation or complete failure.

The question I would be asking is why your connection is dropping that often?

A fail over is good mainly for outgoing data. Incoming data is tricky because it is coming in a different pipeline. Outgoing, it doesn't matter as long as it gets out.
m
0
l
September 1, 2010 4:40:59 PM

riser said:
SOL = crap out of luck. :) 


The question I would be asking is why your connection is dropping that often?



actually it not a matter of my WAN 1 failing at all

its just a safe arrangement , where in i cannot afford the dsl line to break even for a few second,

the reason what happens if the line goes down right at the very moment when i am sending something out

i can seriously be in trouble, if the link breaks and my submission turns out to be incorrect or does not goes out at all in the first place.

regardless of it happening in a year or five years, i cannot afford this scenario in any possibility , to reconnect/relaunch the application as that will consume at least a few minutes

and the LTP can change drastically in a few minutes

and even a 1% LTP change makes a huge difference.
m
0
l
September 3, 2010 1:23:21 PM

You would be better off purchasing a business connection instead of a home use connection in your case.

No matter which way you spin it, the connection has a chance of dropping. Large enough, it'll take both connections down.
m
0
l
September 3, 2010 5:18:42 PM

riser said:
SOL = crap out of luck. :) 


isn't the word 'crap' a vulgar word ?
m
0
l
September 3, 2010 7:42:04 PM

Nope. Not in the last however many years I've been around. Vulgar being curse words or otherwise offensive words in most cases.
m
0
l
September 4, 2010 10:24:41 AM

ok forget it

well coming to the point i do not wish to go for a business line coz thats going to cost me five times more that the regular DSL

in spite of the fact that my ISP is ready to sign a SLA for the business line setup !!
m
0
l
!