Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Computer freezes suddenly for few seconds

Last response: in CPUs
August 30, 2011 2:06:50 AM

From few months I have noticed that my computer suddenly freezes for few seconds ranging from 5secs to 30secs. This freezes happen randomly but i noticed more freezes while watching movie.
I turned on the windows task manager and started watching video and when it freeze again i noticed my CPU usage jumped to 100%, RAM usage stayed stable (my usual CPU usage is below 10% and RAM is about 25%)

I also get black screens (about once per 2 days) followed by windows warning "Display Driver stopped working and now has recovered"

Software:
I use Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit edition
ATi Catalyst 11.7
a c 82 à CPUs
August 30, 2011 2:39:26 AM

running any antivirus? if not, install one and run a scan, also use spybot search and destroy to pick up the crumbs the antivirus leaves behind.
m
l
August 30, 2011 2:52:05 AM

i have Avira Antivirus installed.......
m
l
Related resources
August 30, 2011 10:21:53 AM

can you do same task in alternative os to verify that this is a cpu issue?
m
l
August 30, 2011 11:28:01 AM

dontknownotsure said:
can you do same task in alternative os to verify that this is a cpu issue?

Bro i did not understand what u said........please explain
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 30, 2011 1:56:49 PM

run hardware tests - prime, furmark, memtest etc

also check cpu temps to make sure you have that hsf installed correctly

sounds like psu (not enough power etc to video card) or faulty video card
m
l
August 30, 2011 3:28:56 PM

apache_lives said:
run hardware tests - prime, furmark, memtest etc

also check cpu temps to make sure you have that hsf installed correctly

sounds like psu (not enough power etc to video card) or faulty video card

"prime, furmark, memtest" i have heard about these tests...but is it a software or web based test? nd where to find these softwares?
i dont think it is a problem with the PSU because i have a XFX 650W PSU
m
l
a c 82 à CPUs
August 31, 2011 3:31:49 AM

its all free softwware, just use google. just because you have an xfx 650w psu doesnt mean it isn't faulty. Even the best put out a faulty psu, i would say its unlikely though.
m
l
August 31, 2011 5:46:02 AM

i ran the furmark and prime95 test..........Furmark gives me a score and prime95 test just goes on, so i stopped it manually
what to do now?
m
l

Best solution

September 1, 2011 10:43:50 AM

in_core said:
Bro i did not understand what u said........please explain

I mean install or run another OS from live cd or something and watch movie/ playgame in it to verify that its indeed a hardware issue.

anyways if you can download process explorer and try to identify which process uses too much cpu and HDD causing the lock up.
September 4, 2011 11:39:43 AM

I formatted my C drive and Reinstalled Win7 again....and the problem is gone :D ...thnx God...i was really worried....hope it will never happen again
m
l
September 4, 2011 2:21:06 PM

in_core said:
I formatted my C drive and Reinstalled Win7 again....and the problem is gone :D ...thnx God...i was really worried....hope it will never happen again

well congrats lol, since its working now i suggest you image your HDD for backup in case you messed it up again in the future so that you wont waste time reinstalling everything.
m
l
September 4, 2011 3:41:32 PM

Best answer selected by in_core.
m
l
!