Looking for a PCIe 3.0 board....

MrMikeAZ

Honorable
May 17, 2012
Hello,

I am building a new computer and have decided to base this around a motherboard that is PCIe 3.0 compatable. I want to have at least 2 3.0 slots that can run at x16 together. Not 16x,0x or 8x and 8x like most that I have found.

Anyone know of a Mobo that would do this? I am leaning more towards the 1155 socket but would consider am3+ if it met the needs.

Other requirements:
32 gigs mb support or more

Solution

Ther difference really is that insignificant. It's because most PCIe cards (including graphics cards) today simply don't use all of that bandwidth, so increasing the bandwidth doesn't make much of a difference.
If you really need to have two PCIe 3.0 x16 slots at full speed (I can't imagine why unless this is a compute machine, there isn't a single PCIe card that uses that much bandwidth and consumer graphics cards don't even need more than a PCIe 3.0 x4 slot, PCIe 2.x x8 slot, or PCIe 1.x x16 slot to deliver over 95% of their performance), then get an LGA 2011 board with an X79 CPU. The only actual use for two PCIe 3.0 x16 slots, that I can think of, would be to facilitate two high end Tesla cards for some serious compute power.

MrMikeAZ

Honorable
May 17, 2012

Is it really that insignificant of a diff between 8x and 16x? If thats the case, then I dont care. I was thinking it was a big difference. If so, then I have many choices. Thanks for the information.

Ther difference really is that insignificant. It's because most PCIe cards (including graphics cards) today simply don't use all of that bandwidth, so increasing the bandwidth doesn't make much of a difference.

Solution

you would need a z68 or a z77 chipset board that is labled crossfire/sli ready. some boards, although having multiple pci express slots dont have the ability to sli/crossfire