Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

[HELP] Working on a new system

Last response: in Systems
Share
June 4, 2011 8:58:04 PM

Ok I need a few questions answered because I've had this old rig for quite some time now.

My system as of NOW (No Changes):

BASICS
Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit (6.1, Build 7601)
BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
Proccessor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3800+, ~2.4GHz (1 Core)
Memory: 4096MB RAM
DirectX Version: DirectX 11

DISPLAY - Have a 21.5" Acer Monitor (From a 16" CRT Monitor)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT
DAC Type: Intergrated RAMDAC
Approx. Total Memory: 2032 MB
Current Display Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32bit) (60Hz)

QUESTIONS:

1. What should I change first (What is the most important to change?):

2. What is the worst thing about my system as of right now (Even if all of it is bad what should I change first and why?):

Extra INFO:
- Gaming is what I tend to do, especially Diablo III.

- Price isn't necessary right now but I'm looking for mid-range. (discounts are important)

Location: Phoenix, AZ

Thanks!

More about : working system

June 4, 2011 9:06:09 PM

Does it do what you like it to?

If no what tasks do you need more performance in than its giving you?
m
0
l
June 4, 2011 9:08:23 PM

Questions: What do you do with your computer? How much are you looking/willing to spend?
Suggestions: I would say the worst is a tie between your graphics card and your cpu. Upgrading either would result in increased performance, as to which one first I would say graphics card. Where are you located? What stores can you buy from?
m
0
l
Related resources
June 4, 2011 9:35:20 PM

Gaming is what I tend to do, especially Diablo III.

Price isn't necessary right now but I'm looking for mid-range. (discounts are important)

Location: Phoenix, AZ

EDIT:
And why my gfx card over my processor? It's a single core with 2.4GHz.
m
0
l
June 4, 2011 9:58:05 PM

Graphics card is more transferable to a future new system. Didn't read that it was a single core, then I would definatly upgrade that. Heard of geeks.com? Check there for an am2 or am2+ cpu unless your cpu can get new bios to be compatible with AM3 processors in that case I would recommend a Athlon II x3 as a good choice to upgrade too.
m
0
l
June 4, 2011 10:03:02 PM

mgf derp said:
Graphics card is more transferable to a future new system. Didn't read that it was a single core, then I would definatly upgrade that. Heard of geeks.com? Check there for an am2 or am2+ cpu unless your cpu can get new bios to be compatible with AM3 processors in that case I would recommend a Athlon II x3 as a good choice to upgrade too.


What about this CPU?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

It has 6MB L3 Cache instead of L2 Cache: 3 x 512KB - Is there any significance? And its a quad core over triple core.
m
0
l
June 4, 2011 10:07:51 PM

The question still is what motherboard do you have? If the bios can be updated to support socket AM3 processors then yes I recommend the upgraded but have you considered this processor http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... its $25 cheaper and in two minutes can be the same thing as the one you suggested. If you could provide your motherboard manufacture and model number we could solve these questions. Hope this helps.
m
0
l
June 4, 2011 10:14:23 PM

mgf derp said:
The question still is what motherboard do you have? If the bios can be updated to support socket AM3 processors then yes I recommend the upgraded but have you considered this processor http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... its $25 cheaper and in two minutes can be the same thing as the one you suggested. If you could provide your motherboard manufacture and model number we could solve these questions. Hope this helps.


Motherboard Properties:
Motherboard ID 06/30/2006-C51/MCP51-A8M2N-LA-00
Motherboard Name Unknown

If that helps at all...

Found the motherboard: A8M2N-LA (Naos)
m
0
l
June 4, 2011 10:25:17 PM

Im getting a make/model of Asus A8M2N-LA and are for HP desktops. Is this the case? If so I suggest you look on HP's website for bios updates to your specific desktop model # and let us know if you find anything or if you post the model # (assuming you have an HP) we could try and be of help.
m
0
l
June 4, 2011 10:27:53 PM

mgf derp said:
Im getting a make/model of Asus A8M2N-LA and are for HP desktops. Is this the case? If so I suggest you look on HP's website for bios updates to your specific desktop model # and let us know if you find anything or if you post the model # (assuming you have an HP) we could try and be of help.


Model #: SR2013WM

But im honestly looking to get whole new hardware itself so a new motherboard with a CPU would be excellent if you could show me what's best for gaming in terms of mid-range & discounts are important.
m
0
l
June 4, 2011 10:35:59 PM

Checking the HP/Compaq website got me this http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=... which is no help. I am going to assume that since the motherboard is oem to HP only (read that quick in the Asus support forums) they never released a bios update themselves that would support an AM3 processor. If that is the case (I could be wrong) then my only for sure answer would be to tell you that in order to support an AM3 socket cpu you would have to buy a new motherboard. As it looks from your system specs I would suggest a core system (CPU, MOBO, GPU) update salvaging as many parts from what you have now as possible.
m
0
l
June 4, 2011 10:39:06 PM

mgf derp said:
Checking the HP/Compaq website got me this http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=... which is no help. I am going to assume that since the motherboard is oem to HP only (read that quick in the Asus support forums) they never released a bios update themselves that would support an AM3 processor. If that is the case (I could be wrong) then my only for sure answer would be to tell you that in order to support an AM3 socket cpu you would have to buy a new motherboard. As it looks from your system specs I would suggest a core system (CPU, MOBO, GPU) update salvaging as many parts from what you have now as possible.


Thanks.

What would you suggest for a new motherboard / CPU for a mid-range gaming computer and why did you choose those parts? (Diablo III and most of the new 2011 games coming out for PC)
m
0
l
June 4, 2011 10:46:10 PM

Well first thing would be your budget and if you plan to reuse things like you HDD, Ram?
m
0
l
June 4, 2011 10:50:38 PM

mgf derp said:
Well first thing would be your budget and if you plan to reuse things like you HDD, Ram?


Around 800-1000$

I'll be getting new Ram aswell and no new HDD for now.
m
0
l
June 4, 2011 10:55:29 PM

I would like to know what you use you computer for before I give hardware recomendations. Such as what programs you run, games you play, or other tasks?
m
0
l
June 4, 2011 10:58:44 PM

mgf derp said:
I would like to know what you use you computer for before I give hardware recomendations. Such as what programs you run, games you play, or other tasks?


Diablo III will be a big one and I would like to play most if not all my games on the highest detail with little to no lag as possible.
Starcraft II, QuakeLive, Hunted Demon Forge, Black Ops.

Multitasking with google chrome (facebook, email, youtube and etc.)

Photoshop & iTunes.

1920 x 1080 resolution.

PS: I'm a big detail freak and love when my games are played to there fullest.
m
0
l

Best solution

June 4, 2011 11:41:53 PM

Based on the following three performance tests I will suggest some possible build ideas that would fall into your budget range. http://www.techspot.com/review/305-starcraft2-performan..., http://www.techspot.com/review/336-cod-black-ops-perfor..., http://www.techspot.com/review/405-the-witcher-2-perfor...
CPU- Intel Core i5 2400 $190 or Intel Core i5 2500k $225
GPU- Nvidia GTX 560Ti $240 or AMD Radeon HD 6950 1Gb $240 Or Higher if possible
Motherboard- P67 ASRock Extreme 4 $160 Z68 Gigabyte UD3P $160 Depends on your connection needs, perfered brand (if any), and style choices
PSU- Single card- Corsair CX600 V2 600w $70 or Silverstone Strider 600w $70
Multicard- Antec Earthwatts 750 750w $90
RAM- 4Gb GSkill Ripjaw X DDR3 1333mhz $47
8Gb GSkill Sniper DDR3 1333mhz $80
Case- Really subjective hear. A few personal picks
CoolerMaster HAF 912 $60
Zalman Z9 Plus $70
CoolerMaster CM 690 II $80
CoolerMaster Storm Scout $90
NZXT Tempest Evo $110
NZXT Phantom $140
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Prices Lowest- $767 Highest- $922
As you see I have covered the range of your budget, opting out of the cost of a new HDD and DVD drive as I feel you could reuse those. Newegg Links are in order of when the parts was first suggested. Hope this gives you some ideas.
Share
June 4, 2011 11:55:00 PM

Best answer selected by Scottehs.
m
0
l
June 4, 2011 11:55:50 PM

Thanks man ill definitely check out those links.

Appreciate the effort!
m
0
l
June 5, 2011 12:05:49 AM

No problem, I am glad to be of any help.
m
0
l
!