Lost half of my framerates on 6850 after playing game

mechagodzilla_05

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011
Hello. I built this computer a few weeks ago and it has run fine until tonight. After playing a game of Supreme Commander 2, my computer framerates were reduced by half on most things and alot of the shading isn't even showing. I went to reinstall the graphics drivers and after i deleted them i restarted and the computer wouldnt even stay on for more than a minute. After finally getting the computer to stay on installed the graphics drivers with the disc that came with the card then went to the site and got the latest drivers, but I'm still having the same problem. Could it be the power supply? Doesn't seem like i hear the usual loud whine noise when I start it up now but i could be mistaken, i looked in there and all fans were running.

Any ideas?

AMD X4 965 3.4 Ghz
Asus EAH6850 video card
Cooler Master GX750w PSU
Windows XP 64 bit

Solution
Prolly a heat issue...

Before gaming, go into the catalyst Control Center and manually increase the fan speed to at least 50-60%, then play the game, and then see if the frame rates drop.

mechagodzilla_05

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011
Ok, well ever since they dropped all games have been running like crap, even after letting it cool down and restarting the games start out with the low framerates. But i also noticed that the fan speed isnt automatically increasing like normal either. I'll give it a shot when i get home this evening.

mechagodzilla_05

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011
I did all of the above and it seems like its working properly now, but the framerates still seem slightly low. I couldn't find the GPU fan controls in Catalyst or RivaTuner so I am currently running afterburner for the fan controls. Where do i find the fan controls in Catalyst?

Thanks for the help so far guys.