Solved

Heat problems

My computer specs:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600
Radeon HD 4890
4 Gb Patriot DDR2 RAM
Kingwin 730W PSU
Windows 7

I'm upgrading my mobo, RAM, and CPU. I'll be getting a Phenom X4 975 BE and I'm worried about the heat in the case. I'm worried because I recently used the program SpeedFan and saw that my temperature is running about 54 C on average and I feel like that might be a bit high. Is this an acceptable temperature, and if not, what is the best/cheapest way to fix this problem?
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about heat problems
  1. Best answer
    A better case is your best bet. Although you didn't list the case I'll bet that it doesn't have a good airflow.

I am running OC's i5 2500K processor (to 4.8 GHz) an OC's GPU (the GTX 470, which has a rep as being very hot) at 800MHz and my average temps are 37 C CPU, 31 GPU and 28 C mobo.

The biggest problem with rig design is that the engineers an designers don't have cooling as one of their goals. They want speed and aesthetics to sell, sell, sell.

I bought the Corsair 600 T because of their design and, when I bought it, hoped it delivered on cooling. I looked at their design and saw a rational airflow from bottom imput fan to top and rear exhaust.

Now, mind you that I had modded out an aluminum case before, drilling vent holes in the top for venting heat from the PSU, and putting in fans all over the place. It was OK but as a non-expert, I thought the more fans tne more cooling. Not so. I finally found research that showed that a rational airflow from bottom intake to top/rear exhaust is best. This sort of rational airflow avoids cross curents and vortecies which de-optimize the cooling. I naively was formerly impressed with the multiple fan models which maximized airflow in irrational patterns and sounded like a jet taking off. They may seem good to the naive but they defeat their cooling by creating cross currents.

My advice is to look for a good case with an efficient 80 cfm + intake in the lover front of the case; a good 60 cfm + in the rear top and at least 80 cfm + out the top. Don't get anything that has a PSU located at the top of the case because it blocks airflow. The PSU fan should exhaust out the bottom or bottom rear.

There are pleanty of good cases out there, but I can personally vouch for the Corsair 600 T as both quiet and cool.
  2. Also wondering what case you currently have? And I agree with Chester that a new case with better/higher airflow will help your cooling problem. As for the processor you are planning on buying may I make a suggestion? I would recommend a Phenom II x4 955BE vs the Phenom II x4 975BE you have picked for one simple reason cost. The 975 retails on Newegg for $180 USD vs the 955 for $115 USD. These are the same processor and the difference in speed between the two can be made up with two minutes of settings the bios properly with no effects on the rest of the system. This is a considerable savings that could be put towards a new case or CPU cooler which would solve your heating problem. Hope this helps.
  3. http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=506067&CatId=1519

Soyo Dragon case, bought back in like 2004, so yeah I am definitely in need of a new case. I REALLY like the look and features of the 600T but to be honest, I don't think I can get away with spending $160 on a case. Is there anything recommendable between the 0-$100 price mark?

Thanks for the suggestion Derp, I might go ahead and save that money and overclock instead.
  4. I forgot to mention, with my 730W PSU and a new case upgrade, do you think I'd be able to safely handle a Crossfire setup of two ATI Radeon 4890s? I have one now and was thinking about picking a used one up off ebay for cheap but I'm worried about the power and heat.
  5. Best answer selected by mgrove91.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Systems Product