Sign in with
Your question

Graphical glitch in Crysis 2

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 24, 2011 5:23:39 AM

I have the full Crysis 2 game (not the demo,) and there is a very severe graphical glitch where bright lights like the sun constantly flicker. Maps where there is a lot of light are practically unplayable. Everything is rapidly flickering, it is extremely annoying and I don't know what to do. I want to play Crysis 2 multiplayer but it is extremely difficult to do so because of this horrible problem.

Could this have something to do with my graphics cards? I have Two HD 5870's in CF (I'm not sure what drivers I'm using.) It gets MUCH worse when I turn vsync off.

What do you think could be causing this problem? I want to fix this so I can actually ENJOY this game I've been anxiously waiting more than a year for. If I do fix this issue, I'll give the game another play-through so I can actually enjoy it this time.
a c 172 U Graphics card
March 24, 2011 7:18:11 AM

Is there a light setting you can change? HDR? Bloom? Etc?

Its probably a driver issue, but until AMD updates for the new game there isn't anything you can do.
m
l
March 24, 2011 7:25:28 AM

Everyone is having that issue in crossfire mode. Unfortunately, to fix this issue, you need to disable one of the GPU's.

If you'd like, I'll let you join my "**** Crytek" club. No DX11 and $60 for a console port.... I was all excited about getting Crysis 2. Now because of these jerk offs I won't be pre-ordering anymore games no matter how much i loved the previous one or how good it looks.
m
l
Related resources
a c 130 U Graphics card
March 24, 2011 7:35:48 AM

The first one wasn't exactly brilliant straight out of the box either i seem to remember.

Mactronix :) 
m
l
March 24, 2011 7:43:17 AM

The other one didn't promise DX11 either.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 24, 2011 8:12:48 AM

mactronix said:
The first one wasn't exactly brilliant straight out of the box either i seem to remember.

Thats coz no one's rig could run crysis at that time so hardly a few enjoyed that game and even now hardware still hasn't caught up with crysis.Its the second most demanding game after metro 2033 AND IT WAS RELEASED 4 YEARS AGO.It showed what the cryengine was capable of.Cryengine 3 is actually worse than cryengine 2.No POM,No dx 10 and 11,no anti aliasing ,no advanced settings,crappy nanosuit dumbed down for consoles,HIGHLY buggy AI as reported by many reviewers.The AI is even worse than crysis.What is there to like about this game?I wish crytek would patch in at least dx10 because its pretty similar to dx 11 minus tesselation and DOF
m
l
March 24, 2011 8:26:40 AM

Same problem with my pair of 6850's cf. You can disable the cf OR you can run it windowed. Both fix the problem and both are getting me 1080p 30-50fps avg at max settings. So, it's not that bad, but I'd sure like a fix in the next driver update.

....I'm talking to you ATI
m
l
March 24, 2011 11:19:52 AM

1 reason I don't go crossfire.
m
l
a c 130 U Graphics card
March 24, 2011 4:01:09 PM

celpas said:
Thats coz no one's rig could run crysis at that time so hardly a few enjoyed that game and even now hardware still hasn't caught up with crysis.Its the second most demanding game after metro 2033 AND IT WAS RELEASED 4 YEARS AGO.It showed what the cryengine was capable of.Cryengine 3 is actually worse than cryengine 2.No POM,No dx 10 and 11,no anti aliasing ,no advanced settings,crappy nanosuit dumbed down for consoles,HIGHLY buggy AI as reported by many reviewers.The AI is even worse than crysis.What is there to like about this game?I wish crytek would patch in at least dx10 because its pretty similar to dx 11 minus tesselation and DOF

Im not talking about the available hardware im saying the game support for things like crossfire was crap (non existent) straight out of the box.
Seems its the same with no2

You cant just patch support, it means its the same crap as we got in the first one. DX 9 game with sprinkles of the newer DX version interspersed through the game.

m
l
March 24, 2011 5:46:56 PM

ambam said:
I have the full Crysis 2 game (not the demo,) and there is a very severe graphical glitch where bright lights like the sun constantly flicker. Maps where there is a lot of light are practically unplayable. Everything is rapidly flickering, it is extremely annoying and I don't know what to do. I want to play Crysis 2 multiplayer but it is extremely difficult to do so because of this horrible problem.

Could this have something to do with my graphics cards? I have Two HD 5870's in CF (I'm not sure what drivers I'm using.) It gets MUCH worse when I turn vsync off.

What do you think could be causing this problem? I want to fix this so I can actually ENJOY this game I've been anxiously waiting more than a year for. If I do fix this issue, I'll give the game another play-through so I can actually enjoy it this time.

Same issue for me. I found a possible work around on another forum. I have not tired it.

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=341168
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 24, 2011 5:50:24 PM

You have the latest Application Profiles off of AMD's site, correct?
m
l
March 25, 2011 2:53:45 AM

Carc369 said:
Everyone is having that issue in crossfire mode. Unfortunately, to fix this issue, you need to disable one of the GPU's.

If you'd like, I'll let you join my "**** Crytek" club. No DX11 and $60 for a console port.... I was all excited about getting Crysis 2. Now because of these jerk offs I won't be pre-ordering anymore games no matter how much i loved the previous one or how good it looks.

Is this issue just with ATI cards in crossfire? Or does Nvidia SLI have the same problem?

Does Crysis 2 really only use DX9? If so, then that's pathetic.
m
l
March 25, 2011 3:07:29 AM

Has anyone sent angry complaints to EA/Crytek technical support concerning this problem?
m
l
a c 130 U Graphics card
March 25, 2011 6:54:45 AM

Don't be silly everyone knows you rant on a forum and someone else does the actual complaining. It's an old bylaw or charter or something :kaola: 

m
l
a c 172 U Graphics card
March 25, 2011 7:57:18 AM

I think its the same law that enables everyone online to be a "cyber bully". I also think its a subsection of the law that makes my dad able to beat up yours, but I'm not positive about that.
m
l
March 26, 2011 4:14:49 AM

ambam said:
Is this issue just with ATI cards in crossfire? Or does Nvidia SLI have the same problem?

Does Crysis 2 really only use DX9? If so, then that's pathetic.

I believe it is only crossfire not SLI and yes there is no DX10 or 11 right now.
m
l
March 26, 2011 4:29:51 AM

I guess I'll be getting BF3 and Diablo 3 but I'm nowhere near as enthusiastic about them as I was about Crysis 2 and DA2.

Both games were HUGE disappointments. $100 down the drain.
m
l
March 26, 2011 5:13:59 AM

http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/Pages/radeon_win7-64.aspx

Quote:
ATI Catalyst Application Profiles 0.5 MB 11.2 CAP4 3/18/2011
Description:
This release of ATI Catalyst™ delivers support for the latest ATI CrossFireX™ profiles in a separate executable file ensuring users have access to the absolute latest set of profiles installed on their PC.

New profiles added to this release:
- Crysis 2 - Improves CrossFire performance
- Dungeons – Improves CrossFire performance with forced on Anti-Aliasing
- Crasher – Forced on Anti-Aliasing through the Catalyst Control Center has been disabled
- Shogun 2 (DX9 version) – Improves CrossFire performance
- America’s Army 3 - Improves CrossFire performance
- Flatout: Ultimate Carnage - Improves CrossFire performance
m
l
March 27, 2011 3:24:19 AM

heynow said:
http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/Pages/radeon_win7-64.aspx

Quote:
ATI Catalyst Application Profiles 0.5 MB 11.2 CAP4 3/18/2011
Description:
This release of ATI Catalyst™ delivers support for the latest ATI CrossFireX™ profiles in a separate executable file ensuring users have access to the absolute latest set of profiles installed on their PC.

New profiles added to this release:
- Crysis 2 - Improves CrossFire performance
- Dungeons – Improves CrossFire performance with forced on Anti-Aliasing
- Crasher – Forced on Anti-Aliasing through the Catalyst Control Center has been disabled
- Shogun 2 (DX9 version) – Improves CrossFire performance
- America’s Army 3 - Improves CrossFire performance
- Flatout: Ultimate Carnage - Improves CrossFire performance

Will this fix my problem? Where do I download this? Is this offical ATI software or is it a third-party program? How do I install this after I'm done downloading?

I'm using two HD 5870's in crossfire, is this program compatible?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 27, 2011 3:46:54 AM

It might fix your problem, especially if you have no CAPs installed. These come out more often than the drivers do, so check back periodically - especially when a new game comes out.

(Edit: And I suggested these two days ago, but I guess I wasn't clear)
m
l
March 27, 2011 4:01:14 AM

EXT64 said:
It might fix your problem, especially if you have no CAPs installed. These come out more often than the drivers do, so check back periodically - especially when a new game comes out.

(Edit: And I suggested these two days ago, but I guess I wasn't clear)

What is a CAP? After I'm done downloading this, how do I install them?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 27, 2011 4:05:53 AM

Catalyst Application Profiles (what you are downloading, it is just a normal executable).

What I meant was if you have no older catalyst application profiles, these could make a huge difference.
m
l
March 27, 2011 7:28:53 AM

EXT64 said:
Catalyst Application Profiles (what you are downloading, it is just a normal executable).

What I meant was if you have no older catalyst application profiles, these could make a huge difference.

Do I have to update my graphics drivers as well? Or do I just download the CAPs and install them? How do I check the version of my current CAPs?
m
l
March 27, 2011 7:39:31 AM

if you dont know what version they are you probably havent ever installed them. just run the .exe and see what happens. worst case scenario is that you dont see any improvement and then reinstall CCC and the CAP.
m
l
March 27, 2011 8:02:36 AM

I'd just wait til 11.3 drivers come out. They should be out within the next 3-4 days.
m
l
March 27, 2011 9:31:54 AM

I kind of noticed something like that with my 5830 but I fixed it somehow i'm not sure if it was by updating chipset drivers or video card drivers, i'm guessing video card drivers.

Good luck, I am enjoying the game a lot. It's worth fixing :D 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 27, 2011 3:51:01 PM

As long as you have the 11.2 drivers (which you should be using) you can just install the Application Profiles. At worst nothing will happen.

You can just keep reinstalling the CAPs, or you can uninstall them through the windows 'uninstall a program'.
m
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
March 28, 2011 3:08:51 PM

ambam said:

Uninstall the Catalyst Control Center from your CPU and problem is solved.
m
l
March 28, 2011 11:18:34 PM

i just installed Homefront and it was crashing every few minutes. installed the CCC 11.4 Preview and that fixed the crash problem. probably will fix your xfire problem as well.
m
l
April 5, 2011 9:06:05 AM

hi im playing crysis 2 on a xfire setup (i7 920 2 x 4870s) i did have the same problem and also BSOD wen runnin xfire, but i downloaded Radeon Pro and the latest xfire profile from AMD. It runs a profile automaticaly when you run your game also shows gpu utilization and fps fixed my flickering and crashing problems iv not got dx11 but i cant believe no dx10 support thats crazy hopefully theyll patch it soon hope this helps you as it did me
m
l
!