5870 and dual link dvi situation

sneakyazn

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2006
I currently have the following setup

2 x 21" LCD's running dvi at 1200x1600 (portrait)
1 x 30" LCD running mini-hdmi to hdmi at 2560x1600

I recently purchased an Apple 30" HD Cinema and would like to replace my current 30" with the Apple Cinema. As you probably know, the Apple Cinema only uses dual link dvi but my video card only has 2 dual link dvi slots. If I purchase a 2nd 5870, can I run the 2 12" LCD's off one video card and the 30" LCD off another card? Also, would I still be able to utilize xfire?

4745454b

Titan
How are you running what your currently running right now? I know the 5870 can run three monitors, but one of them MUST use the DP. HDMI != DP.

You can buy another card and use it. I know Nvidia allows them to be in multi mode and still output video. I don't know if AMD allows it or not.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Can you add a second 5870 and CF them with 3 monitors? YES.

Can you run all 3 from one 5870? Quite possibly. What make/model of 5870 do you have? It may just be a matter of moving one of your smaller display onto the appropriate adapter to free up the DVI-DL port for the 30" beast.

sneakyazn

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2006
Currently I am running all 3 of them through a single 5870. My current 30" is a Dell 3008wfp which is better than my 30" Apple, but I want to use my Apple so that I can have my color scheme match. (Sounds stupid I know, but I just like the bezels to match) When I take out my Dell and replace it with the Apple Cinema, I now need 3 DVI ports while the 5870 only has 2 dual link dvi's and the displayport/hdmi.

I would love to run the 2 21" and the new Apple Cineman from one card but I'm not sure if I need to invest in an active displayport adapter. If I do, then I might as well purchase another 5870 and crossfire it rather than spend $100 for the adapter. However, if I am able to use a passive displayport adapter, I wouldn't mind going that route.

Thanks for any input you may have!

COLGeek

Cybernaut

+1, agreed here as well. You just need to rearrange the connections on the GPU itself to do from one card.

TRENDING THREADS