Sign in with
Your question

Any way to flash Bios on a secondary gpu?

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • BIOS
  • Flash
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 24, 2011 7:33:42 AM

I'm afraid I somehow put the wrong bios on my 465, I wanted to update as my friend has a different brand 465 (he has MSI, I have the Palit) and his is a later bios update and it ran faster. It seemed to work all well except when I opend GPU-Z nothing showed up and games stopped running. after about half an hour of searching the internet I found that Palit used a non reference design and isn't fully compatible with all other bios's, so I downloaded the Palit Bios.

While I was trying to find how to flash it (with NVflash I only ever used rom files, and this was a bin) Windows forced a restart for some update and now it wont start up with that card. It has weird lags with black screens between the bios and loading windows screens, and after I type my password it just stop sending a signal and I think it stops the computer somehow as hitting/holding Ctrl+Alt+Del does nothing and I have to hold the power button. I proceeded on to pop in my old 260 and it starts up now just fine but the quality takes a big hit.

Well that's the back story, now on to my main question: is there a way to flash my 465 if it's plugged in to the second PCI slot and isn't being used as the Primary Display adapter? If that's not possible how do I use a bin file and run it from a bootable USB? Something else happened in this process and it was the death of my Floppy. Here lies floppy, 96-2011, you had a good run.

Thanks, any help appreciated!

More about : flash bios secondary gpu

a b U Graphics card
March 24, 2011 2:38:14 PM

So was it worth it?
m
l
a c 124 U Graphics card
March 24, 2011 3:35:37 PM

I've not used the Nvidia flash app, but with ATI flash you can just select which card you want to flash so I would assume Nvidia has the same thing. So yeah I'd try booting off the 260, with the 465 in the secondary slot and see if you can flash it.

Also, you should probably just OC the card and if you really want to flash it to make it permanent, you can save the BIOS in GPUZ and modify it. Again, not sure about NV tools but with RBE (Radeon BIOS Editor) I was able to modify the clocks and voltages then reflashed the cards. My 5850s run "stock" at 870/1200 now instead of 700/1000.
m
l
Related resources
March 28, 2011 3:26:16 AM

wolfram23 said:
I've not used the Nvidia flash app, but with ATI flash you can just select which card you want to flash so I would assume Nvidia has the same thing. So yeah I'd try booting off the 260, with the 465 in the secondary slot and see if you can flash it.

Also, you should probably just OC the card and if you really want to flash it to make it permanent, you can save the BIOS in GPUZ and modify it. Again, not sure about NV tools but with RBE (Radeon BIOS Editor) I was able to modify the clocks and voltages then reflashed the cards. My 5850s run "stock" at 870/1200 now instead of 700/1000.

Thanks, the NVFlash tool I used seemed pretty basic and it ran from CMD. I didn't see any option to change the graphics I just typed -4 -5 -6 465update.rom. It said something failed but I went ahead and hit yes to do it anyway and right after I realized the bios was wrongly labeled and not Palit compatible (which is a non-reference board)... Well would the ATI program flash my nvidia card? I know some things are cross compatible and writing a bios doesn't seem too complicated so maybe it will. Also yes I do have a 260 that I'm running as a backup so I could possibly do it if it's Nvidia compatible. Please get back to me I've been reading about this but I want to get an answer from a person and not just a similiar situation from google, I don't have $400 to drop on a card prolly until next semester and my 260 doesn't really hold up. THANKS A LOT!
m
l
March 28, 2011 6:06:48 AM

Well my real question now is how to just flash the second gpu because it's in there. I also ran into a problem I forgot to mention where I can't change my boot sequence because my USB keyboard doesn't register until the login screen. I use to have a ps2 keyboard but after 13 years of service it died and the USB take a while to connect...

I'm guessing the ATI program wont flash an nvidia card either... or will it?
m
l
a c 124 U Graphics card
March 28, 2011 2:25:45 PM

Yeah a USB flash device would be the most "safe" but in my link, it outlines how to do it in windows with nvflash. According to the screenshots you just select which GPU to flash.

As for the keyboard, you probably just need to adjust a setting in BIOS although I'm not sure which. I use wireless keyboard and mouse which have a USB hub and they work fine.
m
l
!