Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Micro Center 3570k + P8Z77-V LX

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
May 19, 2012 3:56:27 AM

Motherboards aren't my specialty around here so I figured I would ask the pros.

I am looking at getting 3570k + P8Z77-V LX at Micro Center as part of a current deal ($190 + $90) and price for me is of relatively huge priority. I am poor so I gotta make the most of the cash available.

Per my signature I have a low end AMD quad and a completely free motherboard right now, so I expect to about double my processing power with this upgrade.

Anyway, my question is...

Is there any good reason that I should not get this motherboard?

I trust Asus to do right by me, but I am not an expert on the tiny little details like the power phases and stuff. I would like to keep the option of a reasonable OC open if I ever decide to toy around with it. Low 4s at the most. I certainly don't need a board capable of hitting a 5+ OC.

The nearest competitor boards are:

AsRock Z77 Pro4-M for $60

I don't know that I completely trust Asrock, but the price is better.

Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H for $115

I definitely trust Gigabyte, but the price is worse which is a pretty big deal.

Anyway, I am just looking for the opinions of some people here who frequent this area since I don't.

If anyone has any good reason I should choose one of them or any good reason I should not choose one in particular please do feel free to respond..
a b V Motherboard
May 19, 2012 11:58:34 AM

The two parts will replace the same parts in my signature.

I have absolutely no desire to crossfire, so 1x PCIE slot is good enough for me.
Score
Related resources
a c 328 V Motherboard
May 19, 2012 12:29:42 PM

The 3570k + P8Z77-V LX at Micro Center deal is great.

It does not have the best OC capability, but for that money its great deal!

U can trust Asrock, as that company uses ASUS tech.

ASRock Inc. is a manufacturer of motherboards, netbooks, and HTPCs, based in Taiwan and chaired by Ted Hsuu. It was established on May 10th, 2002 and invested by and subordinated to Asus.
Score
a c 328 V Motherboard
May 19, 2012 12:30:19 PM

What location of the Micro-center are u going to shop?
Score
a b V Motherboard
May 19, 2012 12:34:03 PM

From what I understand of the history, Asrock was spun off as its own separate entity and is now not sharing any resources with Asus.

I would imagine that Asus kept the best motherboard engineers back home and sent Asrock out with the worst of the lot during the spin off. That is why I would do in such a position and my degree is in Business.

Anyway, I will consider that a vote that the more expensive Gigabyte board isn't necessary according to my requirements.

Thanks for the response.
Score
a c 328 V Motherboard
May 19, 2012 12:44:38 PM

The UD5H is dreat for great OC, and if that is not needed than the UD3 will do just fine.

The difference is $25 so think hard : )
Score
a b V Motherboard
May 19, 2012 1:31:17 PM

The budget is already well north of what I would ideally like to spend with the Asus board.

I am poor so +/- 25 is quite a bit for me. A lot of people drop that much money without thinking about it, but I am north of 30 still having 20g's of student loans and 10g's on the credit card mostly for unavoidable medical expenses and all I really have to work with is money for my birthday and christmas.

Obviously, I have an incentive to conserve if possible.

What I really should be getting is a 2400 and a H61 board, but as much as it pains me I had the intent to lay down another $100 for a current gen chip and current gen motherboard to get the UEFI and other such stuff.

The Micro Center I intended to shop at is in Virginia, I think in Fairfax.

Anyway, as I mentioned before the maximum OC is not needed and I am not willing to lay down additional money to have a really high OC. Low 4s is the maximum OC I would consider doing even if I had a $250 motherboard. I just don't have the desire to push my components like that. I probably wouldn't even go above the stock voltage, whatever OC that would give.

Anyway, my intent was to get the Asus board for $90 if there is no good reason not to. I trust the brand and recommend it to people on here.

Asrock I usually don't recommend, but $60 saves me $30 off the Asus board which is a "big deal" to me. As much as I don't trust the brand's short track record and small sales figures the $30 is quite possibly enough to make the leap.

The GA-Z77X-UD3H is really a board of last resort for me if neither of the two are satisfactory for reasons I don't currently know. Again, motherboards aren't my specialty. I mostly just care to know if others know good reasons that I don't why I should avoid the two cheapest boards at Micro Center.

Believe me, I do appreciate the Toyota and Lexus analogy, but at this point I am stretching the budgets well beyond what I will admit to my wife as it is. I told her the bill would come at about $200 which is $100 short of where it currently sits after paste with the 3570k and P8Z77.

- Edit - When I said it would be about $200 is when my intent was to get a 2400 or 3450 and a low end board. I got the idea to stretch for 3570k later and never got around to mentioning the extra $100 it would cost.
Score
a b V Motherboard
May 19, 2012 4:34:27 PM

The Asrock Pro4 M and the Asus LX seem almost identical in features. They both have the same power phase system (4+2). The Asrock has two more SATA ports. Asus is generally regarded to have better fan controls/software on their boards but their LX is the lowest of their roster, so they may have skipped out on some of that quality to meet that price point.

Honestly, I have read horror stories from every major manufacturer, not a few of them from ASUS. Support seems to be hit-and-miss, so you are going to be taking a gamble whatever brand you buy.

If I were you and money were as tight as it seems, I would just go for the absolutely cheapest option in this case, which seems to be the Asrock.
Score
a b V Motherboard
May 19, 2012 4:42:48 PM

I am going to go for the Asrock then and hope they impress me.

I don't feel so bad about it. As mentioned above, the motherboard I am using now was given to me free with my processor (also at Micro Center) which probably means it was worth $50 at the most and I got by just fine with it.

If I end up not being able to OC at all, so be it and I will just live with a 3570 non-K.

If it is DOA, though, Asrock better be ready for me to never recommend them to someone on these boards who is making a new build.

You both said Asrock is a good board given my requirements so I will give best answer to one of you. Not sure how to choose between, though. Unless one or the other ops to let the other person have it.

I am going to go pick up the stuff now. Hopefully Asrock doesn't let me down.
Score
a b V Motherboard
May 20, 2012 11:55:52 AM

Well, everything went fine and the Asrock motherboard was not DOA and has no apparent flaws so far.

However, I am kinda sad I got it now instead of the Asus board because of the not so insignificant detail that there is no wireless card built into it. I had to go buy a $50 wireless card yesterday because there as no built in wireless and there was no regular PCI slot to use an old wireless card that I had from the old setup.

I guess the new board was a waste of $20 even though it was the cheapest one then.
Score
a c 328 V Motherboard
May 20, 2012 12:05:04 PM

What's wrong with it? Why ASUS would be a better choice?
Score
a c 328 V Motherboard
May 20, 2012 12:05:23 PM

What wireless adapter did u get?
Score
a b V Motherboard
May 20, 2012 12:07:29 PM

I had to go to the best buy that was 5 min away because I wasn't driving another hour+ each way to get to the Micro Center again so the selection consisted of only two models.

Netgear N300 for $40 or Netgear N600 for $50. I went for the N600.

I was hoping for a PCIE internal card, but they just didn't have any.
Score
a c 328 V Motherboard
May 20, 2012 12:17:34 PM

PCIE adapter cards sucks! :D 
Score
a c 328 V Motherboard
May 20, 2012 12:27:54 PM

Which ASrock did u get? That mATX?
Score
a b V Motherboard
May 20, 2012 1:37:01 PM

http://www.netgear.com/WIFITV

I did get the Asrock board that I mentioned was $60.

Anyway, I thought I remembered one or both of the other boards to have some sort of built in wireless capability. If so, it would have saved me money to just go with that instead.

I don't honestly care at this point, but the fact that I can't use my old wireless card does kinda irk me. At the very least the P8Z77-V LX had regular PCI slots so I could have just used my old PCI wireless card with it.
Score
a c 328 V Motherboard
May 20, 2012 1:48:52 PM

I didn't see that u have chosen mATX card.

I hate those and never recommend them, only the top extreme editions.

I would exchange the mobo even if I would have to drive 100mi.

mATX mobos are weak runs hot and are stripped of the features because of the size.

And they are bad overclockers.
Score
a b V Motherboard
May 20, 2012 1:55:20 PM

I could really care less about most of that stuff, I just wanted to get a new ivy bridge chip and get my system back on my network asap and for the cheapest total cost.

I am not about to drive another hour each way so I can try to get a p8z77 and then drive back to best buy to try to return the wireless USB stick.

Maybe if I had infinite time to do stuff in, but I don't.

I was just angry to find out that the board I got both didn't have built in wireless and it didn't have even 1 PCI slot.
Score

Best solution

a c 245 V Motherboard
May 20, 2012 8:37:17 PM

In general, all the motherboard makers have good motherboards that will OC adequately. Asrock included.
The main differences come from what the expansion slots are, and how they are located.

Unfortunately, your special need for a space to put a pci-e wireless card became an issue.

As to the M-ATX format, I think it is great. Just how many expansion slots does anyone really need? For most of us it is none, past the X16 graphics card slot. It permits a selection of nice compact cases.

As to OC capability, I am using the original Asus P8P67-M PRO motherboard with the bios update to run a 3570K.
I am running at 4.3 with no effort at all, and really don't even need that.
It is only when pushing the max overclock and raising voltages that the oc design of the motherboard really comes into place.
a b V Motherboard
May 20, 2012 9:31:55 PM

Sorry that you didn't have a PCI slot, that is the disadvantage of some of the Micro atx boards. The regular ATX Asrocks have PCI slots.

You wouldn't have been able to get a wifi card on the Asus, the first Asus board with a built in wifi IIRC is the V, which costs ~$200.
Score
a b V Motherboard
May 21, 2012 2:27:16 AM

At the very least I would have been able to use my wifi card I already have in the PCI slot on the Asus. That would have capped my expenditure at $90 rather than $ 60 + $50 = $110.

The difference isn't major, but its $20 and 20 minutes, both of which have value.
Score
a b V Motherboard
May 31, 2012 2:35:00 AM

Best answer selected by Raiddinn.
Score
a b V Motherboard
May 31, 2012 2:36:55 AM

Everyone had good contributions, but I think the BA is most meaningful for Geofelt.
Score
a c 328 V Motherboard
May 31, 2012 6:58:10 AM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr
Score
!