Sign in with
Your question

What is the rating of my Gaming System ?

Last response: in Systems
June 5, 2011 1:12:14 AM

hi people, i wanna ask something about my gaming pc which i built last may 2.

and it is my first desktop in 6 years (had my pentium 4 before this new one). Considering that i was not so updated or not so knowlegable bout hardwares for long
i had to research on certain parts becoz my parents decided to buy me a new pc. and my budget was more or less $800 well to be exact i spent $853.

so here's my question: what is the rating of my gaming system right now as people rate it from low-end, mid-end, high-end bcoz i wanna hear it from people
who are updated on tech stuff.
Here it is:

CPU: Intel Core i5-650 3.2Ghz
MotherBoard: ASUS P7H55/USB3
RAM: 4Gb DDR3 Kingston -- 2x2Gb
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 550 Ti @ 1005 core from 970 core (BTW i juz recenty learned how to Overclock xD)
Powersupply: Gigabyte Superb 460W
CD-Rom: Liteon Multi DVD Rewriter
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB
Case: Not a branded one but it has custom coolers front and back and right side panel costed about $50
Monitor: Samsung Syncmaster B1930 18"5
Keyboard: my good old Logitech WAVE xD
Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 3500 DPI (latest part which i bought 3 days ago xD)

well thats about it.

Feedbacks and comments are greatly appreciated. I just wanna know what people think :D 

ty so much.

~NanoSuitFan211

More about : rating gaming system

June 5, 2011 1:37:50 AM

Does it do what you want it to? If so I would rate it good enough xD.
June 5, 2011 1:43:03 AM

lower mid-range perhaps. should be good enough for gaming at 1080p. If you are not satisfied with performance you can upgrade to i7 down the road and get a better video card, but you should be fine for now. your graphics card is your current bottleneck btw.
Related resources
June 5, 2011 1:53:33 AM

^It might be, but I wouldn't upgrade the video card for a 1366*768 monitor. My next upgrade would be a SSD.
June 5, 2011 10:52:18 AM

Ty for the replies :D 

oh so my GpU is holding my system down? :( 
well for now i guess it still works great for me, an ofcourse i am aiming on playing my games on hardcore settings. The one i want to upgrade first if Gpu coz i know there are alot better Gpu out there than what i am using right now, but for now it plays my games at 1366x768 in max or if not maxxed on very high settings tho if i may want to upgrade on a bigger monitor then this card wouldn't perform so much.

but hey this is my first pc in 6 years :D  its not really bad its mainly for gaming surfing and web designing , i dont do video editing, but well for a gamer and i dont consider my self being hardcore (YET) i want a high end system. Will be getting my job soon anyways 6 months from now i plan to buy high-end Motherboard, GPU and CPU from my well earned cash, is that a good idea? bcoz i just built this system a month ago xD

Ty again every1 :D 

BTW i play atm Crysis2(very high 60fps), Bulletstorm(maxxed 60fps), NFS shift(maxxed), Red Alert 3, Tiberium wars, Dirt2, Burnout Paradise, Left4dead 2, Darksiders,
Split second. Although not the latest games atm but hey things are getting old naturally, but IMO even its games from 2009-2011 it looks really great :D 
well a long time ago i dont care about FPS and stuffs coz i adapted on 20fps-30fps max xD, its alot better now on my system and its weird that when i drop from 60fps
i notice it so fast and start to get annoyed LOLx. I dont wanna go back to 20 fps again :( , unless the game is really locked at 30fps xD

~NanoSuitFan211
June 5, 2011 12:45:35 PM

I'd give it a 6 on a scale of 1 - 10
June 5, 2011 4:32:57 PM

NanoSuitFan211 said:
Ty for the replies :D 

oh so my GpU is holding my system down? :( 
well for now i guess it still works great for me, an ofcourse i am aiming on playing my games on hardcore settings. The one i want to upgrade first if Gpu coz i know there are alot better Gpu out there than what i am using right now, but for now it plays my games at 1366x768 in max or if not maxxed on very high settings tho if i may want to upgrade on a bigger monitor then this card wouldn't perform so much.

but hey this is my first pc in 6 years :D  its not really bad its mainly for gaming surfing and web designing , i dont do video editing, but well for a gamer and i dont consider my self being hardcore (YET) i want a high end system. Will be getting my job soon anyways 6 months from now i plan to buy high-end Motherboard, GPU and CPU from my well earned cash, is that a good idea? bcoz i just built this system a month ago xD

Ty again every1 :D 

BTW i play atm Crysis2(very high 60fps), Bulletstorm(maxxed 60fps), NFS shift(maxxed), Red Alert 3, Tiberium wars, Dirt2, Burnout Paradise, Left4dead 2, Darksiders,
Split second. Although not the latest games atm but hey things are getting old naturally, but IMO even its games from 2009-2011 it looks really great :D 
well a long time ago i dont care about FPS and stuffs coz i adapted on 20fps-30fps max xD, its alot better now on my system and its weird that when i drop from 60fps
i notice it so fast and start to get annoyed LOLx. I dont wanna go back to 20 fps again :( , unless the game is really locked at 30fps xD

~NanoSuitFan211

since you are playing at 768p, I would not upgrade your graphcis card yet. but if you do upgrade your monitor, then you should definitely get a more powerful video card. dont replace your motherboard/ram yet, they are still very recent and high end. Even your cpu I would not replace just yet, because it is relatively still powerful. you can upgrade to i7-880 down the road if you want to (same motherboard), if not, you will need to replace your motherboard as well
June 5, 2011 7:13:36 PM

Overclocked Toaster said:
since you are playing at 768p, I would not upgrade your graphcis card yet. but if you do upgrade your monitor, then you should definitely get a more powerful video card. dont replace your motherboard/ram yet, they are still very recent and high end. Even your cpu I would not replace just yet, because it is relatively still powerful. you can upgrade to i7-880 down the road if you want to (same motherboard), if not, you will need to replace your motherboard as well

ty for the reply :D 

hmmm so with that said, i would plan on replacing my GPU 6 months from now hopefully, ofcourse with a larger monitor. As of now what do u think is a good Gpu for me i mean i want a high-end Gpu and i plan on buying 22 inch or 24 inch monitor (from my own money not from my parents xD), ranging from $300-$400.

if you are gonna base it from the the nvidia and ati gpus in the market today aside from those upcoming, well i dont exactly know how long or how short does Gpu manufacturer release their cards. What do you recommend me at those price range? and a gpu that can be handled by my current parts, and not bottleneck my Gpu.

:) 

~NanoSuitFan211
June 5, 2011 9:03:20 PM

550Ti is for sure the weak link......
June 6, 2011 5:08:51 AM

hmm can i ask how long could i use this cpu for, based from your experience and how often you up your cpus or the recommended length of time when to upgrade it. Coz when i bought my i5-650 3.2Ghz it was just recommended by the shop salesman to me along with the other parts, well most of it was recommended to me.

and which is the equivalent of i5-650 in AMD. Btw at first i was actually planning on building an AMD pc but then the sales guy changed my mind convinced me that i should go intel. and i have read, alot (i think if there are alot of them saying, then it is actally true) that AMD is alot cheaper than intel but performs equally and sometimes above the intel counter part? is that true? coz in the near future i would probably upgrade my parts to AMD.

-NanoSuitFan211
June 6, 2011 7:15:32 AM

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-gaming-cpu,295... If you look at the chart the AMD counterpart to the i5 650 would be a Phenom II x4 955/965/975 processor. As of right now Intel is the better choice in gaming performance wise although you can tend to get AMD parts for a lot less. As for your next build I would say don't be hasty and choose AMD right away wait until there new Bulldozer cpu's come out later this week and see how they compare to Intel's Sandy Bridge. And like others have stated before at your current resolution you do not need an upgrade. However if you feel like you want more from your pc you could always overclock your 550 as they are quite capable http://www.gpureview.com/gpureviews-gtx-550-ti-overcloc... averaging a 1000mhz on the core. If you dont/havent overclocked your graphics card I recommend MSI Afterburner http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/download.htm and to read this guide to help you get started http://www.bjorn3d.com/articles/Overclocking_with_MSI_A... I know its not for the 550 but it should at least give you an idea on what to do. Just my .02 hope it helps
June 6, 2011 7:34:39 AM

Dude, tell me your budget and your country, then i could help you more
June 6, 2011 7:49:17 AM

i5-2500k + mobo+PSU+case+RAM+HDD+ DVD drive
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?I...

+ Monitor (19 inches)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

+ GPU (6870)
or gtx 460 (twin frozr)

Total= $854 with 6870
or
$839 with gtx 460

The mobo has SLI and CF comparability so u can pick up the cards again for better performance
i5-2500k is much faster than i5-650
6870/ gtx 460 are both faster than gtx 550

EDIT: sorry dont mind the estimate , i didnt read the whole thing
I think your pc is still good to last you another year. i'd rate it 5.5/10
if your gpu was better i'd give 6
June 6, 2011 1:56:19 PM

Wow ty everyone! :) 

So informative feedbacks.

to: MGF Derp
Hi, hmm so my cpu is top 3 in gaming cpu atm. What a relief xD. Anyways about overclocking my Gigabyte Gtx 550 ti, i have consulted on this forum before late May i think, May 27 to be exact xD. And people have helped me they said i should use afterburner or rivatuner well either way it has the same basics, ofcourse i had to read on certain things to know how to overclock my gpu, And as what the capability of my card is on Overclocking, i have seen that i could reach 1090 from the base 900 Mhz core but the gigabyte 550ti has a 970Mhz core clock bcoz its factory overclocked, and like i said the people helped me then i did what they said. First try raising the core (ofcourse at the same time the shader rises, idk why xD) i raised it 5 at a time then play games or run 3DMark vantage. If the driver crashes my clocks go back to default which is on my case 970Mhz well i cranked it to 1005 without any problem, past that point the driver crashes and the clocks go back to default and also, take point that my memory clock, when i raise it. the driver crashes also :( . even my core is on default. Meaning i cant overclock my Gtx 550 ti when i base it on the chart you gave(oh Ty for those nice links, helped alot :) ). It says i could reach 1090 and it says i could even crank the memory. But it seems my card cant i dont know why :( . Also i dont touch the volts bcoz i dont know what it do. Can you help me on this issue ? :D 

to: sync_nine
Hi, hmm well for now i am not buying anything yet maybe 6 months from now i would upgrade my motherboard, cpu, Gpu ofcourse in the process even the powersupply. But atm this pc still works fine for me, since its my 1st pc in six years (yeah before my pentium 4 xD) i would want to use it on a considerable time.
But ty :D 

and for the parts, i should have known :(  anyways my motherboard and cpu i dont have regrets about it atm works fast :)  as fo the Gpu, my god i could have just bought those you stated alot faster.. i have seen the benchmarks! dang! well anyways gtx 550ti aint bad actually on this resolution (1366x768) it works pretty nice it can max games on 60 fps locked if no maxxed very high, i still love the card :D  my last card was Intel onboard vga something like that just an on board graphics card on my pentium 4 xD

Ty everyone for the nice feedbacks :) 

-NanoSuitFan211
June 6, 2011 2:59:28 PM

Some cards will overclock higher then others but even though your memory is factory overclocked a little it still should be able to go slightly higher. Why it cant is confusing to me. And as to why the shaders increase when the core increases is because that is how MSI Afterburner is set to overclock and it is the recommended way, although you could overclock the shaders independently of the core but i dont suggest it. What where you trying to overclock your memory to when it crashed?
June 6, 2011 3:24:26 PM

mgf derp said:
Some cards will overclock higher then others but even though your memory is factory overclocked a little it still should be able to go slightly higher. Why it cant is confusing to me. And as to why the shaders increase when the core increases is because that is how MSI Afterburner is set to overclock and it is the recommended way, although you could overclock the shaders independently of the core but i dont suggest it. What where you trying to overclock your memory to when it crashed?

yeah i can only reach 1005 without any crashes. Oh the memory according to MSI afterburner its default is 2100Mhz i raised it to 2110 then played like 5 minutes crysis 2 or even burnout paradise the gpu demanding games and it crashes to my desktop Driver stopped responding and has recovered something like this. Then i checked my Gpu-z the clocks came back to default :S its weird i cant raise it lol
June 6, 2011 3:30:11 PM

Sorry to hear that it cant overclock more. Wonder if its a heat issue. Probably not but ill ask if you have custom mapped the fan profile or left it at default? I dont think upping the fans will increase your oc potential but it is a thought.
June 6, 2011 3:59:33 PM

mgf derp said:
Sorry to hear that it cant overclock more. Wonder if its a heat issue. Probably not but ill ask if you have custom mapped the fan profile or left it at default? I dont think upping the fans will increase your oc potential but it is a thought.

well as soon as i start overclocking the gpu i put the fan at 2000+ RPM which is 100% fan speed. And just as you thought it isnt temperature issue, bcoz my room temperature is at about 18 Degrees Celsius xD. Yeah i think i cant overclock it further :( . Ty still for the infos you provided :) 

-NanoSuitFan211
!