Sign in with
Your question

Nvidia kepler- worth the wait?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 24, 2011 10:49:58 AM

Hi everyone,

I currently have a Palit GTX 260, which I noted achieves slightly higher fps in Crysis than a GTX 550 Ti. Is it worth upgrading my gtx 260 to a DX11 gpu right now? Or is it better to wait for the Nvidia Kepler gpu's? Which are a good year ahead :/ . But it seems like a worthy wait. What are your opinions on this? Thank you for your advice.
a c 141 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
March 24, 2011 11:26:57 AM

we don't even have any info regarding kepler as of now. who know if it's going to worth it?
a b U Graphics card
March 24, 2011 11:32:46 AM

A GTX 260 is a good card, but there are a lot of better cards out there. It's really a judgement call on your part and answering the question of whether your current system can handle a new card.

Okay, I just looked at your i7-860 system and it definitely can handle a new card. I wouldn't upgrade to anything less than a GTX 570 from your current card because the difference won't be satisfying enough to justify the money, but that's a personal opinion. You may as well skip a generation (400/500 same generation) and wait.

Btw, you might want to pull out one stick of RAM so it can run in dual channel mode (since LGA 1156 can't do triple channel). It'll run your RAM faster. You can run Memtest86+ to verify the change in speed.
Related resources
March 24, 2011 11:38:40 AM

olivierhacking said:
Hi everyone,

I currently have a Palit GTX 260, which I noted achieves slightly higher fps in Crysis than a GTX 550 Ti. Is it worth upgrading my gtx 260 to a DX11 gpu right now? Or is it better to wait for the Nvidia Kepler gpu's? Which are a good year ahead :/ . But it seems like a worthy wait. What are your opinions on this? Thank you for your advice.

Well consider these questions:
Will most games work with your graphics card? With settings high enough for your liking? Are there many games that really benefit from DX11 that you want to play?
March 24, 2011 12:10:07 PM

dalauder said:
A GTX 260 is a good card, but there are a lot of better cards out there. It's really a judgement call on your part and answering the question of whether your current system can handle a new card.

Okay, I just looked at your i7-860 system and it definitely can handle a new card. I wouldn't upgrade to anything less than a GTX 570 from your current card because the difference won't be satisfying enough to justify the money, but that's a personal opinion. You may as well skip a generation (400/500 same generation) and wait.

Btw, you might want to pull out one stick of RAM so it can run in dual channel mode (since LGA 1156 can't do triple channel). It'll run your RAM faster. You can run Memtest86+ to verify the change in speed.

Currently, my 3 RAM 'sticks' are running in dual channel though! Definitely not single channel
a b U Graphics card
March 24, 2011 12:30:32 PM

I'd expect it to be in Ganged mode/single channel. That's odd. In that case, don't mess with it.
March 24, 2011 12:45:04 PM

Okay, I won't. But do you recommend waiting for the Kepler gpu's ?
a c 172 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
March 24, 2011 12:59:38 PM

They are going to be 28nm and will more or less replace Fermi and compete with ATI's 28nm generation. We will not see them till very late in the year or sometime next year. Performance should enough to be worth the wait but if you got the upgrade itch then go ahead however the quality of modern cards isn't as good as generations past. The GTX 570 has a known power vrm issue that results in blue smoke. ATI's card are still stuck with the age old driver issues.
March 24, 2011 3:31:34 PM

So the kepler will have a great performance increase? is this because of the 28nm technology?
a c 172 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
March 24, 2011 5:23:31 PM

Yes, better thermals and lower power consumption yields for better clocks while leaving room for more shaders ect. It will be a nice upgrade over Fermi.
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
March 24, 2011 5:53:38 PM

What motherboard do you have? Still trying to figure out the RAM weirdness.
March 25, 2011 6:57:03 AM

Ok, I will tell you my specs, so you guys know- I thought they would be in my description, but I guess not:

XFX 850W Pro Core Edition power supply
MSI P55-CD53 motherboard
Palit GTX 260 Sonic 216
i7 860 @ 3608 Mhz
6GB DDR3 ram - 3 x 2GB (@ 1312Mhz, dual channel)
2 x 1TB HDD's (7200rpm I think)
Hyper 212 Plus with sickleflow in push only
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
March 25, 2011 12:12:05 PM

Very strange. MSI claims that shouldn't work, as one would expect.

What does CPU-Z (under the memory section) say the RAM channels and config is?
March 25, 2011 3:29:25 PM

CPU-Z says:

*General*
type- ddr3
size- 6144 MBytes
channels #- dual
NB Frequency- 2962.6 MHz

*Timings*
DRAM frequency- 658.3 Mhz
FSB:D RAM- 2.8
(too lazy to type out the next things, they are: 9 clocks, 9 clocks, 9 clocks, 24 clocks, 88 clocks, 1T)
March 25, 2011 3:30:15 PM

FSB :D RAM is FSB DRAM btw, makes a grinning face :p 
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
March 25, 2011 6:18:40 PM

Wow, that is pretty cool. Thanks for checking it.

As for Kepler, I am waiting for it to decide whether to buy it or a 580 for CUDA C. I am in no rush since I already have a 470 and 5850. I certainly hope Kepler is good performance for a reasonable price, but not a whole lot to go on yet.
March 25, 2011 8:04:09 PM

EXT64 said:
Wow, that is pretty cool. Thanks for checking it.

As for Kepler, I am waiting for it to decide whether to buy it or a 580 for CUDA C. I am in no rush since I already have a 470 and 5850. I certainly hope Kepler is good performance for a reasonable price, but not a whole lot to go on yet.

Yeah, I think for me it might be a better choice to wait for Kepler.. it seems like a whole new type of gpu :) 
April 4, 2011 8:04:41 PM

olivierhacking said:
Hi everyone,

I'm happy with my gtx460 that I picked up at Fry's for $100 after rebate. I'm running 1080p @ 60hz and getting my 60+ fps on med-hi settings on all games so I'm going to wait for Kepler myself. I'm hoping their high end single gpu will be good enough for at least 3 years after the launch. I'm also curiouse to see what the amd 28nm will be like. Msi Afterburner gives me a nice 6-7+ fps on that card also.
May 16, 2011 3:38:55 PM

I guess I'm in your situation but 3 years down the road. Since I just bought a 570, I will be holding out for Maxwell cards in 2013 instead of succumbing to the Kepler generation at the end of the year.
a b U Graphics card
May 16, 2011 4:06:30 PM

personally I would get a gtx 570 it rocks a 1080p resolution, imo... dont play the waiting game, they are a great deal right now, and a few months ago, I got mine for 304AR, as long as you dont plan on doing crazy overclocks then your card will not blow up, personally mine reaches 820 core with stock volts, which in most games is darn close to a 580, AMDs drivers are fine for a single card solution, from my expiriences and imo...

my recommendation is to get a gtx 570, when it stops doing what you want upgrade, do not worry about far off releases, until you see specs there is no telling, now if keplar was like 2 months off I'd say wait, but my gtx 570 is cool, quiet and powerful and I am very happy with the purchase for gaming at 1080p with modern dx11 games
a b U Graphics card
May 16, 2011 4:09:55 PM

Id like to say that I will hold off and that would probably be the smart thing to do, but who knows if performance is amazing I might be upgrading too, and then again at maxwell, in the end do what you want
!