How many "classic" compilation releases for GBA?

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

I'm looking to get a bunch of those multi-game "classic" releases for my SP,
but I'm not really sure how many are out there right now. I know I
definitely wanna get that Activision Anthology with all those 2600 games...
the only one I have right now is the one with Galaga, Galaxian, Pole
Position, Dig Dug, and Ms Pacman.

Anyway - if anyone has a list or link, it'd be appreciated.

Toe.

--
The Toe Pages:
http://www.rubbertoe.com

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

> I'm looking to get a bunch of those multi-game "classic" releases for my
SP,
> but I'm not really sure how many are out there right now. I know I
> definitely wanna get that Activision Anthology with all those 2600
games...
> the only one I have right now is the one with Galaga, Galaxian, Pole
> Position, Dig Dug, and Ms Pacman.
>
> Anyway - if anyone has a list or link, it'd be appreciated.

Mike to the rescue, with another list!

Activision Anthology
Atari Anniversary Advance
Konami Collector's Series: Arcade Advanced
Midway's Greatest Arcade Hits
Namco Museum (that's the one you have)
Pac-Man Collection
Sega Arcade Gallery
Sega Smash Pack

Not sure whether these count:
Game & Watch Gallery 4
Phantasy Star Collection
Ultimate Brain Games
Ultimate Card Games

You'd probably also like Wario Ware, if you're looking for something you can
pick up and play anytime.

HTH

--
//mike tyndall
C++ programmer and game designer (not professionally)

"Mike Tyndall" <Mike_Tyndall_1@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<D4idna0Zi6EVvNPcRVn-uA@comcast.com>...
> > I'm looking to get a bunch of those multi-game "classic" releases for my
> SP,
> > but I'm not really sure how many are out there right now. I know I
> > definitely wanna get that Activision Anthology with all those 2600
> games...
> > the only one I have right now is the one with Galaga, Galaxian, Pole
> > Position, Dig Dug, and Ms Pacman.
> >
> > Anyway - if anyone has a list or link, it'd be appreciated.
>
> Mike to the rescue, with another list!

Nice list, Mike! One-line reviews of each follow!!

> Activision Anthology
Simply superb. Get it and love it.

> Atari Anniversary Advance
Vector graphics and analog controls on the GBA? Not the best choices,
but certainly good emulation.

> Konami Collector's Series: Arcade Advanced
Ports with style. Get this one, too. Great conversions.

> Midway's Greatest Arcade Hits
Lousy conversions, and not many of them either. Missed opportunity.
Skip it.

> Namco Museum (that's the one you have)
Imperfect ports, but certainly adequate and worth having.

> Pac-Man Collection
Best version of Pac-Man Arrangement out there.

> Sega Arcade Gallery
Outrun on the go is sweet. I need to get this one, even though
Afterburner is pretty much a total loss.

> Sega Smash Pack
Ecch. Golden Axe, Sonic Spinball, Ecco the Dolphin. For fans of
these games only.

> Not sure whether these count:
> Game & Watch Gallery 4
> Phantasy Star Collection
> Ultimate Brain Games
> Ultimate Card Games
>
> You'd probably also like Wario Ware, if you're looking for something you can
> pick up and play anytime.

YES YES YES YES YES! WW is the best thing on the GBA. Activision
Anthology is #2.

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

Mike Tyndall <Mike_Tyndall_1@hotmail.com> spewed:
>> Anyway - if anyone has a list or link, it'd be appreciated.
>
> Mike to the rescue, with another list!
[snip]

Much appreciated.

*clicks print*

--
The Toe Pages:
http://www.rubbertoe.com

"Spyrus the Deathless" <spyrusthedeathless@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "Mike Tyndall" <Mike_Tyndall_1@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > Midway's Greatest Arcade Hits
> Lousy conversions, and not many of them either. Missed opportunity.
> Skip it.

Is it really that bad? I saw it at the store for $9.88 and wanted to pick
it up. Does it have high score save? That was my only grip with the Konami
one. (BTW, which other ones do or don't have high score save?)

Thanks, Dane.

"Dane L. Galden" <chigroup(at)ix.netcom.comCHANGE(at)TO@> wrote in message

> "Spyrus the Deathless" <spyrusthedeathless@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > "Mike Tyndall" <Mike_Tyndall_1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>

> > > Midway's Greatest Arcade Hits
> > Lousy conversions, and not many of them either. Missed opportunity.
> > Skip it.
>

> Is it really that bad? I saw it at the store for $9.88 and wanted to pick
> it up. Does it have high score save? That was my only grip with the
Konami
> one. (BTW, which other ones do or don't have high score save?)
>
> Thanks, Dane.

My beef with it was that it was very hard to see things clearly. Joust,
Defender, Robotron, and Sinistar all have black backgrounds and a lot of the
screen items are very small. The crystals in Sinistar and the radar blips in
Defender, for example, are nearly microscopic. Also, the frame rate in Joust
takes a big hit, and your ostrich is too "floaty." That is, if you stop
flapping, it doesn't drop quickly to the ground but floats down slowly.
Finally, the joystick in Sinistar just can't be replicated by a tiny
cross-pad.

And as far as I recall, it doesn't have a high score save. It remembers only
the "daily" high scores (ie-- the scores achieved from the time that the
power was turned on) which disappear when you turn it off. I don't know that
any of these compilations save high scores aside from the Activision
Anthology (which saves scores and indicates whether or not you earned a
patch). Atari Anniversary Advance sure doesn't.

"Android" <androvich@NOcomcastSPAM.net> wrote in message

> "Dane L. Galden" <chigroup(at)ix.netcom.comCHANGE(at)TO@> wrote in message
> >
> > "Spyrus the Deathless" <spyrusthedeathless@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > "Mike Tyndall" <Mike_Tyndall_1@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > > Lousy conversions, and not many of them either. Missed opportunity.
> > > Skip it.
> >

> > Is it really that bad? I saw it at the store for $9.88 and wanted to
pick
> > it up. Does it have high score save? That was my only grip with the
> Konami
> > one. (BTW, which other ones do or don't have high score save?)
> >
> > Thanks, Dane.
>
> My beef with it was that it was very hard to see things clearly. Joust,
> Defender, Robotron, and Sinistar all have black backgrounds and a lot of
the
> screen items are very small. The crystals in Sinistar and the radar blips
in
> Defender, for example, are nearly microscopic. Also, the frame rate in
Joust
> takes a big hit, and your ostrich is too "floaty." That is, if you stop
> flapping, it doesn't drop quickly to the ground but floats down slowly.
> Finally, the joystick in Sinistar just can't be replicated by a tiny
> cross-pad.
>
> And as far as I recall, it doesn't have a high score save. It remembers
only
> the "daily" high scores (ie-- the scores achieved from the time that the
> power was turned on) which disappear when you turn it off. I don't know
that
> any of these compilations save high scores aside from the Activision
> Anthology (which saves scores and indicates whether or not you earned a
> patch). Atari Anniversary Advance sure doesn't.

Thanks for the info. I guess I'll have to re-think if I want this or not.
Just curious if you're playing this with the older GBA or the newer SP?

Dane.

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

"Dane L. Galden" <chigroup(at)ix.netcom.comCHANGE(at)TO@> wrote in message

> "Spyrus the Deathless" <spyrusthedeathless@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> "Mike Tyndall" <Mike_Tyndall_1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>

>> > Midway's Greatest Arcade Hits
>> Lousy conversions, and not many of them either. Missed opportunity.
>> Skip it.
>

> Is it really that bad? I saw it at the store for $9.88 and wanted to pick
> it up. Does it have high score save? That was my only grip with the
> Konami
> one. (BTW, which other ones do or don't have high score save?)

The Midway Arcade disc is poo. The ports aren't very faithful at all -- the
SNES and Genesis versions of Williams Arcade Classics are much better.

None of these classic packs have high score saves except Activision
Anthology, the Atari VCS package. Nintendo releases, such as Wario Ware and
the Classic NES series (Zelda, Xevious, Donkey Kong) do have a save
function, however.

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

"I've Got A Loverly Bunch of Coconuts" <slartibartfast@hugh.jass.org> wrote
in message news:41502350$0$72587$a1866201@newsreader.dsl.net...

> "Dane L. Galden" <chigroup(at)ix.netcom.comCHANGE(at)TO@> wrote in message
> >
> > "Spyrus the Deathless" <spyrusthedeathless@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> "Mike Tyndall" <Mike_Tyndall_1@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> >> Lousy conversions, and not many of them either. Missed opportunity.
> >> Skip it.
> >

> > Is it really that bad? I saw it at the store for $9.88 and wanted to
pick
> > it up. Does it have high score save? That was my only grip with the
> > Konami
> > one. (BTW, which other ones do or don't have high score save?)
>
> The Midway Arcade disc is poo. The ports aren't very faithful at all --
the
> SNES and Genesis versions of Williams Arcade Classics are much better.
>
> None of these classic packs have high score saves except Activision
> Anthology, the Atari VCS package. Nintendo releases, such as Wario Ware
and
> the Classic NES series (Zelda, Xevious, Donkey Kong) do have a save
> function, however.

Okay, thanks. I was thinking that since the Genesis one was pretty good,
this one had to be that good or better given that the GBA seems to be
superior hardware. Oh well. I'll have to look for something else.

Thanks, Dane.

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

One other cool feature of the "Konami Collector's Series: Arcade Advanced"
title is that you can play head-to-head via the GBA link cable. The 2nd
person doesn't have to have the cart, it will download the game into
their system. I love carts that have this feature, even if it does take
a little while.

This title has had a packaging change. I'm not sure if the contents of
the cartridge changed at all. Here are the 2 different boxes:

Old:
http://www.gameexpress.com/images/product/original/083717500193F.JPG

New:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8132343753

Some websites also show this box, but I've never seen it in a store. It
might be a beta version of the cover used before the actual release.

http://www.vgmuseum.com/scans/gba/501to550/0518.jpg
--
=__ __ __ _ __ _= Andrew Krieg - Software Engineering Consultant =
=_ __ _ __ _ _ __= =

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

> The 2nd
> person doesn't have to have the cart, it will download the game into
> their system. I love carts that have this feature, even if it does take
> a little while.

gameboy.ign.com has a list of these. They call them "Multi-boot games", I
think.
--

In article <tJudnV65i8B0As3cRVn-pA@comcast.com>,
Mike Tyndall <Mike_Tyndall_1@hotmail.com> wrote:
>The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring

That Atari 2600 version of this (the Hozer/Packrat/AtariAge version, not
that cheesy Parker Brothers proto) is of course excellent.

Adam