johnklane

Honorable
May 19, 2012
HP desktop (p6823w) Windows 7. I've called twice for help and both times the tech's computer "is having problems and is not able to pull up information on your computer." 4gb DDR3 PC3-10600 came installed. The 3x4gb DDR3 PC3-10666 from Best Buy added is not recognized. Load screen freezes. Can't access BIOS. What gives? Tried 1 stick, 2 sticks, 3 sticks, every configuration... nothing but the single original stick would work. Even though the HP site provides a link to buy non-HP memory, I supposedly voided my warranty by installing non-HP memory.

SSri

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
Did it come as a kit? If it did, you need to install them in an order on the RAM Bay.

Pull out the HP manual from their site, flip to the RAM/hardware section pertaining to RAM. Check if they have a diagram with an explanation/guidance for installing 1 stick or more than 1 stick.

For example: my HP has an 8 Bay with an additional 8 Bay through a riser card. The RAM slot on my system goes something like this: 1-3, 2-4, 5-7, 6-8.

Hope it helps...

johnklane

Honorable
May 19, 2012
No kit. 3 single sticks. The manual says nothing about order and looks to be for the 32bit as it only shows 2 slots. If there is a specific order, I need a diagram for 64bit with 4 slots. I have searched for hours and can't find a diagram. And for the THIRD time HP "tech" says "my computer is not coming up.....blah.....blah....impossible to get information at this time."

SSri

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
Do you have a 64 bit win7 Pro? You would need win7 Pro or Ultimate 64 bit for 16 GB.

Usually, you need to slot in matched pairs of modules in your 4 slots. I believe your system has a maximum memory of 16 GB. A bank is considered as 2 slots. A 4 slot would mean 2 x 2 slots. This essentially implies that you need matched pairs.

Check if you got any installation guides with the memory kit or try talking to the supplier. Advise them their sticks does not work.

Before you do this, try the following:

Keep the original stick on socket 1 and put a new one on 3. See if that works. If it did, put the rest on 2 and 4. I am not sure if this would work as they are not matched pairs. :pfff:

If all fails, you should be able to return them and buy on line with a seller who would sell you matched pairs.

I do not know anything about this seller. Try them, if you like.

http://www.memorystock.com/ram/HewlettPackardPavilionp6823wRAM.html

If you have to return and buy a new one, I am afraid that you are going to have remove the HP stick and buy two matched pairs of 2 x 8 (2x4GB).

Let's us know how you got on...good luck

johnklane

Honorable
May 19, 2012
Thanks for the answers. Still unable to find install order for the 64bit. YES, this system supports up to 16gb verified by HP and Crucial. Note: the original stick was in 2. But, I put original in 1 and new in 3, works, 8gb recognized. When I add 2 then 4 OR 4 then 2, nothing works. Go back to 1 and 3 works again with 8gb recognized. GRRR! Did I mention you guys are the greatest!

SSri

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010

Good..you are making some progress...

When I add 2 then 4 OR 4 then 2, nothing works.

Did you plug-in 2 and 4 before booting or tried 2 first, boot, 4, and so on. You need to throw-in as pairs..try 2 and 4 keeping 1 & 3 on the banks. If 1 & 3 have worked, I reckon 2 & 4 are the next bank.

If it does not work, try this experiment:

Remember the sticks 1 & 3 worked. Note down the serial number of the sticks that worked on 1 & 3. Otherwise, follow your own procedure to correctly identify the working sticks to go back to 8 GB on 1 & 3 (if necessary). Then try the following:

(1) 1&2, boot (if worked, 3&4 boot)
(2) 1 & 4, boot (if worked (2 & 3)....

johnklane

Honorable
May 19, 2012
Verified that each new stick works. The original stick plus any of the new sticks in any configuration 1&2, 1&3, 1&4, 2&3, 2&4, 3&4 works for 8gb. When I add the third and fourth sticks it won't start. 8gb is all I can get it to recognize so far. There must be something I'm missing to get it recognize 16gb. It freezes at hp blue screen. I tapped F10 for 30 minutes and still can't get bios.

SSri

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
Bizzare...Are you using Win7 64 bit Home Premium or above? You need at least the win7 64 bit home premium for 16 gb...

Try this:

Go to

System Configuration Utility
Boot tab
Advanced options
Uncheck the max memory box if it's checked

If this does not solve the problem, it may be a set-up issue like ram voltage or mismatched ram kits.

SSri

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
Bizzare you cannot change the values.

Install CPUZ and see if it shows 16GB.

Check HP site for latest Bios update....

check this tread...

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/265341-12-windows

Also read this tread and follow the steps to see if it resolves the issues....

You might be seeing 8 GB because of the following:

It is probably something to do with the BIOS setting on your motherboard and the reserved gfx memory. In the BIOS, look for PAE, Physical Address Extension, Memory Remap, or similar terms. Ensure it is enabled. Before you do this, see if you can backup your bios settings (to revert if the changes prevent the system from booting up. Normally, you should be able to take a backup in the bios itself.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/41

another tip from this link

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/311605-12-installed-16gb-recognised

I wonder if voltage adjustments need to be made to address this problem.

johnklane

Honorable
May 19, 2012
In BIOS (which you know I can only access with 2 sticks, 8gb, installed) there is nothing PAE, memory remap. only thing referring to memory is which slots are installed and total memory. I can't access BIOS with 4 sticks installed. Everything that should be enabled is enabled anyway.

CPU-Z will not install. Tried a dozen different downloads and versions, every time got a message- setup file is corrupted when I tried to execute the file. Not sure that would help anyway, because If I have 16gb (physically) installed, I can't get past the frozen blue screen anyway.

Now voltage, which sort of scares me a little when think about adjusting it. With 8gb installed I can't find any info on voltage in BIOS or anywhere. Where do I see/adjust this?

I am updating BIOS/drivers again through HPSA. I might try resetting CMOS, but I can't find a diagram/photo of my board. HP website does not have it for p6823w.

johnklane

Honorable
May 19, 2012
There's no Advanced Chipset Features. I feel I'm getting more and more lost. The more I learn, the more I realize there's more to learn. Now, I can't complete any updates because the AMD "driver stopped responding and has recovered" and I'm continually crashing and restarting. I'll update you in a bit with more info. Thanks again.

SSri

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
look at the hp site for latest bios/firmware....

reg RAM voltage, compare the voltage range on the manufacturer's site for your RAM. I wonder if you have to return the rest of RAM and try may be Corsair.

In the absence of a lack of important features of Bios settings, I am running out of options. It is something to do with the Bios settings or voltage issues.

Talk to HP again and explain your problem.

johnklane

Honorable
May 19, 2012
You have no idea how much I appreciate your help. I wish I could give you more info from the BIOS. In case you are curious, though, I found more info- conflicting, but at least it's info.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02560084&cc=ad&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_r1002_usen#N167

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware/Upgrading-Memory/m-p/1068519#M40677

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware/RAM-limits-for-N-Alvorix-RS880-uATX-HP-p6650z/td-p/390459

Good news is I found specs for the MOBO. Bad news is more conflicting information.
So... I can't know if I'm wasting time or not. I have the "N" MOBO not the "H". I installed the sticks according to the diagram: XMM3,4,2,1, and as before, no boot, stuck at blue screen, can't access BIOS. 8gb is still the max I can boot with.

HP is yet again giving me "So sorry sir, my computer is having problems and I cannot pull up information about your computer at this time. Is there anything else I can help you with today?"

SSri

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
Do the following:

install 3 and 4 --- boot...
add 2 - boot
if successful - add 1 - boot....

If all this does not work, you have to (1) keep chasing HP, (2) return the remaining 8GB to the supplier and (3) grab a matched pair (kit) for 8GB and try again.

moral of the story:

Build your own desktop next time!

johnklane

Honorable
May 19, 2012
Didn't work. You're right, should have built it. Anyway, I spent 4 HOURS on the phone (3 1/2 hours holding) today with HP and talked to 7 different "supervisors" and I may have gotten HP to admit to having sold me a bad mobo. Because I am a "highly valued customer" I have been assured of receiving a new mobo in the mail in two days. More runaround, probably. Should I slap myself for buying HP in the first place, probably.

johnklane

Honorable
May 19, 2012
mobo showed up, and so did the hp tech. New mobo installed and still not booting with more than 2 sticks. hp tech had absolutely no idea what to do. GRRR! I took the machine to best buy where I got the memory and the geek was stumped, too. On a whim, I got two sticks of Corsair and added them to the two sticks of PNY and lo and behold, it worked!!! Again, thanks for the help! All you guys are helpful and I really appreciate it.

SSri

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010

happy it worked...