Sign in with
Your question
Solved

First time building a computer

Last response: in Systems
June 5, 2011 3:26:58 AM

Firstly, I would like to say hello and thank you, in advance, for taking your time to read this posting.

I am currently building a computer for the first time. I have been checking out many websites about sockets, power usage, overclocking, compatibility between different hardware components and what some of the newer I/O devices like Sata 2 and 3 are. I am learning a lot that I didn't know about before. That being said, you can likely tell that I am not the most knowledgeable with computers.

Getting to the point now. I am trying to build myself a gaming desktop that will last for the next 3-4 years. I will likely run 2 monitors, but will only use 1 monitor for gaming mostly at 1080p resolution, maybe in 3D. I would also like the computer to look reasonably good aesthetically.

I would like to know if their are any problems with my build or possibly something that I am overlooking like compatibility issues, cooling issues, etc. I will likely overclock my computer just a little bit, nothing crazy like I see others doing. Also I would prefer to not spend anymore money on what I am already spending, but if the upgrade or more cost is justified or worth it, then I don't mind spending the extra amount.

The components to this build are as follows:

CPU/Processor: Intel Core i7 2600K
Motherboard: ASUS P8P67 Deluxe REV 3
Memory: Corsair Vengeance - (4x4GB) Dual Channel DDR3 Memory Kit 1600MHz (Both Black and Blue Heat Sinks for better aesthetics)
Hard Drives: OCZ Vertex 3 VTX3-25SAT3-120G 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) and Seagate Barracuda XT ST32000641AS 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Video Card: EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 590 (Probably a little overkill, but I really would like to have it)
Sound Card: May use on board sound
Case: COOLER MASTER HAF 932 Blue RC-932-KKN3-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case
Power Supply: CORSAIR Professional Series AX1200 1200W ATX12V v2.31 / EPS12V v2.92 SLI Certified 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply
CPU Cooler: ZALMAN CNPS9900MAX-B 135mm Long life bearing CPU Cooler Blue LED
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit English 1-Pack - OEM

Please post your thoughts, concerns, etc. Again thank you for reading and for your help/response in advance.

More about : time building computer

Best solution

June 5, 2011 3:47:24 AM

16 gb of ram is way overkill for gaming, just so you know. you will not get improvements in gaming performance once you go past 3-4 GB. most people seem to be getting 8 GB, but 16 is serious overkill. remember you can always add more ram later if you actually need it.

some say i7-2600k is overkill for gaming and that i5-2500k is more reasonable, but that hyperthreading might be useful for future games so who knows maybe it will be worth it.

regarding gtx 590: the way i see it, if you plan on making this computer last for 4 years. I think instead of spending $750 on a graphics card now (btw hard to find out of stock everywhere last time i checked) you are better off spending half that amount now, and then spending the remaining half on a graphics card upgrade 2 years down the road. You will get more performance for your money over the lifetime of the computer. (2 years from now a $300 graphics card will no doubt smoke a gtx 590)

also 1200 W psu is overkill even with gtx 590. even 800 W should be enough.

June 5, 2011 5:36:47 AM

i5 2500k even 3 yrs into the future this cpu oc'd to 4.5 ghz will not be bad
mobo- aarock p67 extreme4
ram- gskill 8gb ddr3 1600mhz
gpu's- 2 msi 6950 win frozr II in crossfire
ssd- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
case- nzxt phantom
psu- corsair hx 850
cpu cooler- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
thermal paste- (i am pretty sure that cpu cooler doesnt come with any) http://www.amazon.com/Mad-Dog-Arctic-Silver-Polysynthet...
no computer will be a good computer 3-4 yrs from now they will probably be bottom line adequate though
June 15, 2011 3:08:21 AM

Best answer selected by Smokey_2187.
!