Sign in with
Your question

ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 Onboard Audio Doesn't Work

Last response: in Motherboards
May 19, 2012 6:39:51 AM

Hello everyone. I just build a new PC using an ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 motherboard. I updated the BIOS and all drivers, and still can't get the onboard audio to work. I've tried a simple set of 2.0 speakers and a headset. Both work on my other PC. When I plug the speakers in, it doesn't seem that they're being detected. Control Panel -> Sound shows that Realtek Digital Output is the default playback device. It says nothing else is plugged in. Same deal if I plug in the headset, either to the onboard audio jack or to the front panel.

I've also toyed with the BIOS settings. Onboard Audio and Front Panel Audio were both set to Auto by default. I tried Enabling Onboard and completely disabling Front Panel, but I'm still not getting anything out of the onboard video.

If I play any audio, the mixer shows sound being played through the Realtek Digital Output device...even if I don't have any speakers plugged in at all.

I'm using an ATI Radeon HD 7850. It has its own HD Audio driver it installs. I just tried disabling that as well, and I'm still not able to get the system to pick up my speakers.

Any thoughts? All I can think of at this point is that the onboard audio is dead, but everything else on the motherboard appears to be working just fine.
May 19, 2012 8:09:31 PM

I unplugged the front panel HDA cable and reinstalled the drivers again. The Control Panel now shows that my speakers are the default output device. However, I'm still not getting any audio. If I play some music or a movie and open the volume on the task bar, I see the audio levels rise and fall as the music plays. Just not actual output. Nothing is muted, and I've got the volume for everything turned up to 100%.
m
l
May 22, 2012 4:35:19 PM

ok have you set them as the defult sound deivce and are they pluged up to the green out put?
m
l
Related resources
May 22, 2012 4:40:53 PM

They're plugged into the green output jack. I can't set them to the default sound device, it says they're not plugged in. The only available device is Realtek Digital Output, which is using an output (S/PDIF) that I'm not using. Everything looks good in the device manager. I also updated the drivers to the newest version from Realtek's site. The Realtek HD Audio Manager doesn't seem to detect any of the analog ports at all. It always sends output through the digital output, and tells me that nothing else is plugged in. I've tested the speakers on two other PCs and they work fine.
m
l
June 10, 2012 5:01:14 PM

guy85 said:
They're plugged into the green output jack. I can't set them to the default sound device, it says they're not plugged in. The only available device is Realtek Digital Output, which is using an output (S/PDIF) that I'm not using. Everything looks good in the device manager. I also updated the drivers to the newest version from Realtek's site. The Realtek HD Audio Manager doesn't seem to detect any of the analog ports at all. It always sends output through the digital output, and tells me that nothing else is plugged in. I've tested the speakers on two other PCs and they work fine.

exactly the same problem for me since I have bought this mobo.
m
l
August 23, 2012 1:34:34 PM

same for me, same mobo.

however if i plug good quality heaphones in, turn to 100% i can JUST hear a tone when slecting TEST.... also i bnought a cheapo USB sound card which fixed the issue for two datys untill it blew up...I have now ordered a more expesive version to see if lasts...STILL why bother having onboard sound if it don't work.
m
l
August 23, 2012 1:45:29 PM

also tried on both 32 bit and 64 bit, home premium and ultimate windows 7
m
l
January 6, 2013 10:48:09 PM

mgz said:
also tried on both 32 bit and 64 bit, home premium and ultimate windows 7

Same here. Done all the above. Any idea how to fix this?
m
l
January 7, 2013 10:56:57 AM

bithog said:

I have been using a sound blaster USB sound card this works fine. annoying but sound works! :) 

if it wasn't for the fact this mobo OC's my 2500k to 4.8ghz nice and stable id have got a new mobo.

m
l
June 10, 2013 7:19:05 PM

mgz said:
bithog said:

I have been using a sound blaster USB sound card this works fine. annoying but sound works! :) 

if it wasn't for the fact this mobo OC's my 2500k to 4.8ghz nice and stable id have got a new mobo.

I've also had this problem with the exact same motherboard. Why is this such a common issue, did they just decide to half-ass the onboard audio? Installed a third-party audiocard, luckily there was just barely enough room in my small tower for it. Also after about a year with this motherboard I can say the network adapter is starting to go, anytime the internet goes down temporarily I have to fight with it for an hour to get it back up and running, i.e. reseting network adapter, repeatedly restarting computer, etc.
m
l
September 26, 2013 7:30:43 AM

Exact Same problem, What triggered it was the switching to my HDD, To a SSD, Thats the only thing I changed, And I hope i dont start experiencing the Network problems with this mobo, Like i had with the 970a- g46, So...Ive dont ALOT of research, and the only way to fix this problem is 1.) Buy a new MotherBoard, 2.) Get a soundcard
m
l
!