Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question
Solved

Just installed CM Hyper 212+, but it doesnt cover entire CPU

Tags:
  • CPUs
Last response: in CPUs
August 30, 2011 6:46:19 PM

i googled this and there was like one thread on some site but it didnt really answer my question. I just wanted to know if this is okay, or if i did something wrong and should try to adjust it.

According to coretemp its working as intended:
Prime 95 small ffts...been going for 10 minutes max temp 41c minimum ive seen is 28, its sitting fluctuating between 40 and 41, which is much improved over my 52/53 without the hyper 212+

Also im on stock speen with a 955BE

So basically is it okay that 2 of the sides of the cpu are sticking out ~ 2cm from underneath the 212+ while the other sides overlap and one sits exactly on it

More about : installed hyper 212 doesnt cover entire cpu

a b à CPUs
August 30, 2011 7:35:26 PM

2cm? Please recheck that- the whole cpu isn't very much larger than 2cm square. I would think that the base of the cooler would sit approximately in the center of the cpu with very little sticking out on any one side.
m
l
August 30, 2011 7:45:53 PM

my bad i meant mm lol, point is there is a little sticking out of 2 sides....
m
l
Related resources
August 30, 2011 7:50:49 PM

as long as all cores are within forgivable temps i dont see it as being a problem, if it was a serious issue, your cpu would have been fried the second you turned the computer on. Example: The stock HSF has a round contact point of which does not cover the 4 corners of the cpu, but this is okay.
m
l
August 30, 2011 7:55:30 PM

Sorry if this is thread hijacking but how do you know if a heatsink is properly inserted into a cpu? I mean you say it will have fried the second you turn it on correct? So then there no real way of knowing if your heatsink works as you only have literally 1 second. or lesson than a second, THE second...
m
l
August 30, 2011 7:56:25 PM

hermz1337 said:
as long as all cores are within forgivable temps i dont see it as being a problem, if it was a serious issue, your cpu would have been fried the second you turned the computer on. Example: The stock HSF has a round contact point of which does not cover the 4 corners of the cpu, but this is okay.

ACTUALLY, intel has round bases, amd does not, but i understand the point you are making, it looks like the heatpipes and base are prtty much covering all but a few mm
m
l
August 30, 2011 9:32:07 PM

woops meant to include INTEL in that sentence lol. Anyways, theres not much too a HSF, as long as you have a thin layer of thermal paste and the HSF IS touching the CPU you cant really go wrong imo. But there really is no way to know if it is properly seated except by just doing it than checking the temps after its booted or in bios., they are pretty self explanatory, anyways, as far as i know there is an over heat protection on most if not all motherboards nowadays so it may not fry the chip, although i wouldnt bet my life on it for that matter.
m
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
August 31, 2011 3:27:40 AM

1. the actual CORES of the cpu are inside of the metal package, so a cooler will work if it covers the center part of the cpu package. A few MM sticking out on a few sides won't make much difference.

2. If a cooler is not installed correctly it will show up in the temps. It will likely cool enough to keep the cpu from killing itself immediately, but it might shut itself down after a few seconds. If it continues to run you should still check temps with something like coretemp to verify that the cooler is working properly. I think if you try to run the cpu without any cooler, then it will kill itself quickly.
August 31, 2011 3:53:35 AM

hermz1337 said:
woops meant to include INTEL in that sentence lol. Anyways, theres not much too a HSF, as long as you have a thin layer of thermal paste and the HSF IS touching the CPU you cant really go wrong imo. But there really is no way to know if it is properly seated except by just doing it than checking the temps after its booted or in bios., they are pretty self explanatory, anyways, as far as i know there is an over heat protection on most if not all motherboards nowadays so it may not fry the chip, although i wouldnt bet my life on it for that matter.

I would like to thank you for your answer, unfortunately i can only select 1 best answer and im really only doing it to say that my problem is solved, i am ALWAYS worried about temps, on both my custom built pc and my macbook (call me paranoid), so i will keep checking up on these temps.

I just got home and i have a gadget that uses coretemp constantly running and since i have turned it on about 20 minutes ago my max has been 33 and my minimum 27 (used to idle around 35ish, im sitting around 31 typing this, firefox is open as well as steam(probably downloading something but who knows)

Thanks for all the input, i would have loved to see facts backing it up (then i wouldnt be so paranoid ever lol) but these answers put me somewhat at ease.
m
l
August 31, 2011 3:53:46 AM

Best answer selected by guitarwiz23.
m
l
May 28, 2014 10:01:25 AM

Hello, I know this is an old thread but the same thing happened to me so i figured i'd put in my experience. After installing the Hyper 212 EVO on my FX-8320 on my Gygabyte board I noticed that no matter how I adjusted the pins, it was going to hang off a little on either side... but after verifying the temperatures it idles around 15-20 C... under load overclocked to 4.2 GHZ the max i saw was 45 C... so i think that as long as the middle is covered you should be good. I haven't seen any problems from heat. Hope this helps to ease someones mind cuz I know I was worried.
m
l