Re-enabling LAN causes reboot

Warpspasm

Distinguished
May 28, 2003
I don't know if I should put this here or on the Windows board, but here goes. I accidentally disabled the LAN connection on my PC which is connected directly by cable to my son's PC 6 feet away. When I now go into the control panel and tell the system to enable the connection it looks like everything is going to work, but then "*dink*" the PC reboots itself. Of course, the LAN is still disabled. What the heck is going on here?

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
Have you tried enabling it w/o the cable plugged in?
What kind of card is it? is it onboard or a pci card?

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>

Warpspasm

Distinguished
May 28, 2003
My ASUS motherboard has the LAN built in. I have not tried enabling it with the cable unplugged. Is that the way you're supposed to do it?

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
It really shouldn't matter but who knows. Maybe there is somekind of surge on the wire as soon as you start enabling it.
Next thing would be uninstall it and disable it in the bios. Then boot up w/ it disabled to make sure all remnants of it are gone. Then enable it again in the bios so it can be reinstalled.
If it is still disabled after reinstalling it it might be toast :( Get your hands on a PCI network card first though. If a PCI network card doesn't enable either it is a software problem.

Warpspasm

Distinguished
May 28, 2003
Alright, this problem has reared its ugly head again. I managed to get the LAN working by unplugging the cable before I re-enabled the connection. It has worked ever since.
However, yesterday I hooked up my Verizon DSL service and when it came time for the software to get the router/modem set up the system went into it's reboot mode and would only boot if I turned off the modem power or disconnected the cable. Verizon tech support was no help because everything checked out as far as they were concerned. The system boots fine until just before the desktop appears, then it goes "bink" and starts over. I managed to get it connected by leaving the cable plugged in until right before that point, then quickly unplugged it. After the boot I plugged it back in and it stayed connected. I haven't turned off the PC since then. I can't figure this thing out. I'm using a 3Com network which is built into my ASUS motherboard. Does anybody have ANY suggestions on what to do to fix this problem?

riser

Illustrious
Your onboard NIC is shot. Get it disabled, try a PCI NIC and your problems will go away.
Look at the capacitors on your motherboard and make sure they're now bowing out or leaking a yellowish crusty stuff.
Something happened to your NIC onboard and when it's enabled it's causing some kind of short or overload which is restarting your PC.
Disable the NIC, try a PCI card and I bet you'll be fine.
Otherwise you'll have to replace the mobo.

Riser

Warpspasm

Distinguished
May 28, 2003
Nope. Didn't work. I put an older 3Com 3C905B-TX card in there and it did the same darn thing. I guess I'll have to try a reinstall of windows next. Yikes! I hope somebody can come up with another idea before I do that.

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
Here is sort of a shot in the dark but it is worth a shot. Try a different PSU. Maybe yours is either faulty or insufficient.
I don't think windows would be causing this. The next step would be motherboard replacement.

Warpspasm

Distinguished
May 28, 2003
Well, since it had been over a year since I reinstalled XP (something I've been meaning to do) I decided to give it a try. It was a royal pain in the butt, however it seems to have solved the problem. Something must have gotten hosed in the OS. I'll keep a close watch on it though. I'm still not sure it isn't the motherboard.