Two Routers One Printer

runningbot

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
I have a wireless router plugged directly into my cable modem. I then have a line running from that router (let's call it "main") to a second router (let's call it "sub"). I then have a printer that connects to the main router. The problem I'm having is I can't see the printer from a computer that is connected to the sub router. I'm sure it's a setting in the sub router that needs changing however I can't figure out what to change. I tried turning off the DHCP in the sub router as well as setting a DHCP Relay to the IP of my main router. Neither worked. Any ideas?

Again my network looks kinda like this:

Printer(wireless) <---> Main Router <---> Sub Rounter <---> Computer
_____________________ ^
_____________________ ||
_________________ Cable Modem

riser

Illustrious
Why do you have 2 routers in place?

Can you ping the IP address of the printer from your computer behind the sub router? Your sub router will need configured to look for the main router, if being used a router. If you're using it as a switch, the WAN or Internet port on the router should not be used. Stick to the 1-4 ports for the main router to connect into and the computer.

runningbot

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
The reason for the sub router is that I have 3 machines in the basement office. Two machines connect directly to the main router up stairs + the line to the sub router in the basement. I could buy another 50' cable and run it through the floor but I'd still need one more port for the the 3rd basement machine.

So yes I want to run the sub router as a switch. However I can't seem to find what settings in the router I need to change in order to achieve this.

runningbot

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
I read someplace that plugging in the line from the Main router into an open LAN port on the sub router (after turning dhcp server off in the sub router) instead of the WAN port might achieve this. Does that make any sense?

riser

Illustrious
The "router" is kind of a dual device. You have the WAN or Internet port. That is the 'router' part. The other 4 ports are a Switch. The device is also configured to hand out DHCP. Disable DHCP and the router turns into a simple switch.
Don't plug anything in the sub-router's WAN port, disable DHCP, and use ports 1-4 and you'll have a basic switch with 3 additional ports on it.

You can set a static IP address on the sub-router but you'll want to make it a 192.168.1.2 - your main router will likely be 192.168.1.1.