New Build need opinions :D

deathbystick

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2011
Hey guys :D, well I have an i7950 right now and I do a lot of streaming live video games which I guess is video encoding. I am looking to build a new pc and have a 4.5k budget. This is the biggest problem I have. Do I build a new pc now and get a 2600k and overclock it. Or do I just wait until the ivy bridge processors. I also want to stream pc games and am looking forward to streaming battlefield 3 which graphically is going to be intensive. My setup right now is.

i7950 stock
big bang xpower mobo
8gb ddr3 dominator 1600mhz
evga gtx460
corsair hx1000
and a caviar 1tb black hard drive.

Thank you all for your time.

dougyfresh

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2004
you may want to wait. i just got my 950 running at 4.0 GHz....

just got crossfire 6970s and its working good...

if you wait you will get better stuff and/or cheaper

i really dont know

4.0 GHz i7 is better than what most people are gonna be running

FIFY. :)

Streaming live video is not video encoding. Playing games is different, but a P4 with a merely decent graphics subsystem is all you need to receive live video streams.

Waiting for Ivy Bridge will give you a significant upgrade.

deathbystick

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2011
I'm thinking of possibly just overclocking my cpu, getting a corsair hydro cooler and just upgrading my video card to a gtx 590 until the ivy bridges come out. That seems like some sort of plan.

deathbystick

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2011

What I mean is not watching, I am the one uploading the video and streaming.

I'd stick with a better air cooler. The Corsair Hydros are still consistently beat out even by simple air coolers like the Hyper 212+, and money spent on the more expensive models is either better spent on a more expensive air cooler or a real liquid setup.

Also, pass on the 590. It's only so-so at BEST. If you want an awesome performance @ 1920x1080, go with a 6950 or better. The 6990 blows the 590 out of the water as well.

The new CPUs are supposed to come out Q3, which is in the next 1-2 months. Unlike AMD, Intel usually hits its schedule.

deathbystick

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2011
Thanks boiler for all the info. And I always liked Nvidia over ATi my friend has a 6990 and it sounds like a jet plane. Eventually I would like to go watercooling but right now I'm just looking to get the best performance I can out of the setup I have until the new stuff comes out.

I had only used NVidia GPUs for the last 2 years (460s and 470s), but when I went to P67 I was recommended the 6950, and I was pretty skeptical because I had always heard about driver issues with older AMD/ATI cards.
However, the experienced AMD GPU users here assured me that the drivers were indeed better (via personal experiences), so I went ahead and got the 6950. It was a great decision. Haven't played a game yet that will drop below playable framerates on max settings and a minimum of x4 antialiasing.