Sign in with
Your question

{ Solved }New motherboard no post

Last response: in Motherboards
May 19, 2012 12:18:22 PM

Hello !

I just ordered a new 848P-Neo2-V motherboard. When i hooked up the power supply it ran for about 2 minutes then shut off. Now with the same power supply it will only turn the heatsink fan and its own fan for about 1 sec then shuts off. I have to wait about 8-10 minutes before i can try again and the same thing happens.

I have never worked with a p4 system before. All my builds have been amd products.

There is no ram or anything installed just the heatsink and power supply whenn this happens.

Now i did last night try this power supply on my amd sempron system and it did the same thing. This is a brand new power supply only about 12 hours old.
It did not destroy the amd sempron system because i hooked up the orginal power supply and it is working fine.

So if this is a bad power supply maybe it did not destroy the new motherboard ? Or maybe the new motherboard destroyed the new power supply ?

Anyone have any ideas ?

thanks for your time

Jmor
a c 435 V Motherboard
a b ) Power supply
May 19, 2012 12:25:13 PM

I've never had a board post without at least one stick of ram installed. Wait until you get your ram before you try again.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a b ) Power supply
May 19, 2012 12:26:26 PM

If you tried the new PSU in the old computer and it doesn't work then maybe the PSU is bad.

What maker and model is this new PSU?

Also, what is the maker/model of the processor you are using?
m
l
Related resources
May 19, 2012 12:35:41 PM

cpu is a Pentium 4 540 3.2GHz CPU

power supply is a Eagle ET-PSVT500

I also looked but i do not have any power supplies with the bigger board power connectors. All my semprons use smaller board connectors.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a b ) Power supply
May 19, 2012 2:14:17 PM

The Eagle PSU has a 20+4 power connector and a 4 pin CPU power cable, correct?

If your other computers only have 20 pin connectors there should be some potential to break off the extra 4 on the 20+4 and only use the 20. It may sound a little intimidating, but most 24 pin cables have a clear location between the 10th and 12th pins where it is meant to separate.

You can also just leave the extra 4 just hanging off in space if the motherboard design allows for it.

You will definitely want to have your RAM inserted when you are doing this stuff, so if you haven't put it back in then it would be a good idea to do so.
m
l
May 19, 2012 2:25:24 PM

On these p4 power supplies that have the convertiable board power connectors are they only for intel type systems ? Should they run amd also this eagle power supply is only intel thats why it would not run the sempron 3000+ system. And that has a compusa 350watt power supply in it. Put that in when there was a compusa in this city about 5 or 6 years ago.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a b ) Power supply
May 19, 2012 2:42:47 PM

PSUs aren't really designed for only Intel or only AMD.

They are designed according to specifications that change every so often.

Whichever era it was designed for, it should work with either maker's products from that era.

Like right now, the current specifications say 20 or 24 pins is fine for the motherboard connector and either 4 or 8 pins is fine for the CPU connector. Thus all PSUs made according to current specifications have a 24 pin that can be separated into a 20 and a 4 with the 4 just hanging off in space if it is not needed and the processor cable is 8 that can be separated into 2 cables of 4 with one cable hanging off in space for boards that use only a 2x2 connector for the CPU.

Even old old specifications should have the same connectors for the most part.

Which part is the part that doesn't physically fit into the sempron computer? The motherboard power or the CPU power?

Can the compusa PSU fit in the new one physically?

In any event, it sounds to me like it is most likely a PSU problem.

PSUs this old aren't made to run current computers. They are designed to provide minimum power on 12v+ lines and maximum power on 3.3v and 5v lines. That is exactly opposite of how computers use power in 2012. Now about 90% of the juice is drawn through 12v+ lines and next to nothing is drawn from 3.3v and 5v lines.

I would think about investing in a PSU that is made to work with PCs that were built in the last 5 years.

The Antec Earthwatts 380w ($49), Corsair CX430w ($27 after rebate), Antec Earthwatts 430w (sold out on Newegg, maybe available elsewhere), or XFX 450w ($53 after rebate) are all very good low end options. The CX 430w is the cheapest of them and should be able to handle what you need it to if you go that route.

I wouldn't trust anything cheaper than the CX430w to do a good job.

Anyway, if your current equipment can't be used to narrow down things more than they already are, you may just have to try to borrow one from a relative or from your IT staff at work or just buy a new PSU blind.

Before that, try taking out the battery for 30 minutes and then turning it on without the video card inserted and tell me what happens.
m
l
May 19, 2012 3:28:47 PM

done some more exiperminting , used an old k7s5a that was stored in closet.

I first used a used 300w atx ( with the 12v connector on the power supply ) and it ran the cpu fan just fine.

I then hooked up the new Eagle 500w and it did not even start, It has some kind of blue light on inside when it is running they told me. Power supply fan does not turn at all now.

So i guess this makes a case for bad or malfunctioning power supply. I will take it back and exchange it for another one sometime monday.

I think i will concentrate on reviving the K7S5A , I don't even remember what kind of cpu it has it has been stored for so long. Most of my 300w power supplies are best tec . Haven't has a problem out of them.
m
l
May 19, 2012 4:08:54 PM

I did the battery thing last night same thng happens. It has never had a video card in it , never got it to post long enough to require video.

I will as i said in last post I'll just return the power supply if possible and get another one. But to me this one Eagle power supply seems to not be a major brand. I will ask the salesman for a different one on moday not the same manufacturer.

Thats the first power supply i have ever had go bad right out of the box. But then i still don't know if motherboard is defective and broke the powersupply.

And the K7S5A with a athon xp 2200+ in it has been running 1 hour now on the old 300 watt power supply had in closet. Thing had been in storage for over 5 years , still works great.

Now all i got to do is find a case ot put it in !! Running at 1.8 gigs is not bad for a K7S5A. And all my voltages are at where they are supposed to be.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a b ) Power supply
May 19, 2012 6:25:12 PM

If you don't need the PSU right away, I would take the Corsair CX 430w from Newegg.com

Everyone on TH always suggests ordering from Newegg because its a great website and they do what they are supposed to with no fuss.

If you go to a store, you will pay a lot more and get a lot less.

Unless it is a Micro Center, they seem to do really well on prices a lot better than the online stores.
m
l
!