Closed Solved

PCI expansion card in BIOS

Hi

I have a recent AM3+ motherboard, I am having trouble booting from disk. I have tried booting from cd option and the BIOS even lists the 2 optical drives but when booting totally ignores them. Windows 7 and 8 recognises the card and the optical drives work in windows.

Ive just tried Ubuntu 12.04 server edition which is great when samba is configured but its taking too much time to set up probably(installed by USB 2GB max size I have). So I want to try windows server 8 beta, image is burned ready and tested disk on other pc and knowing the image is ok.

The motherboard is Gigabyte GA 880GMA USB 3.0. Do I need to mess around with IRQ settings I only have 1 PCI slot and the rest are PCI express slots.
12 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about expansion card bios
  1. Ok you have me a little confused here. why whould the PCI slot matter when booting from CD? Boot from CD is just a BIOS boot sequence command, put CD before HDD. Your CD drive should be pata or sata unless you have a controller card but you don't mention that and why would you use a control card for the CD on that Mobo? You should be using the sata on the board itself.
  2. tyranthoth said:
    Ok you have me a little confused here. why whould the PCI slot matter when booting from CD? Boot from CD is just a BIOS boot sequence command, put CD before HDD. Your CD drive should be pata or sata unless you have a controller card but you don't mention that and why would you use a control card for the CD on that Mobo? You should be using the sata on the board itself.



    The CD drive is PATA and i'm using a controller card, I have no IDE connection on the motherboard. The motherboard recognises the controller card and asks me if I want to press F3 to set up RAID.

    The BIOS lists the 2 optical PATA drives in the boot up list. I selected one in the first boot but it just boots straight to OS.
  3. I've just tried again I've put PIONEER DVD RW has first boot device in BIOS.
    When it boots on the screen it displays quickly;
    Pioneer DVD RW 0
    Lite on CD RW 1

    The first scrren before that displays;

    Si 0680 RAID medley controller BIOS 3.2.10
    2003-2006

    Press F3 for RAID SET UP

    Both windows 7 and windows 8 CP recognise and install a silicon image driver.

    Going back to the PIONEER DVD being first boot device, I get the Windows boot manager error screen display giving me 3 options.
    If i set the first boot device to CD ROM it goes into OS.

    I don't get press any key to boot from disk.
  4. I now this may sound silly but I do help desk for a living.
    Did you set the boot sequence to CD first?
    Are you still running linux as the OS?

    Sometimes you don't see it but just before it gets to loading OS is there a pause. If so hit f4 and it should load off the disk -- sorry for the delay on response had an influx of calls.
  5. Ok disconnect the non-primary cd/dvd drive and try again
  6. tyranthoth said:
    I now this may sound silly but I do help desk for a living.
    Did you set the boot sequence to CD first?
    Are you still running linux as the OS?

    Sometimes you don't see it but just before it gets to loading OS is there a pause. If so hit f4 and it should load off the disk -- sorry for the delay on response had an influx of calls.


    Hi

    Tried pressing F4 at about the point I see the 2 drives are listed but it dispalays DISK BOOT FAILURE INSERT SYSTEM DISK.
    I also tried the CD-ROM option pressed F4 it goes to OS. The other option I have is for the Lite on CD-RW, it lists in the boot but the image is on a DVD-ROM. I did try that option 2 days ago when I installed Linux, I gave up and installed from USB.
    My image is 3.3GB and i'm replacing Linux or trying.
  7. tyranthoth said:
    Ok disconnect the non-primary cd/dvd drive and try again


    Ok i've just disconnected the secondary CD RW also ive disconnected my SATA drives. It just hit the DVD and the start of the set up is working, it can't go now where because I have no hard drive connected but the disk is spining and the screen is displaying the windows 8 fish.

    Now i'm going to connect my hard drive and see what happens.
  8. Ive just reconnected hard drive and the windows boot manager error is displayed again.

    Without SATA connected it recognises the DVD. I've just got the primary drive connected.
  9. Best answer
    Ok the PCI controler is being overriden by the SATA controler. This is general bios issue. It's a pain in the behind to fix. What pata controler are you running? You may end up having to format the HDD so it doesn't see an OS on the sata line; or this may just need to be a bios update.
  10. tyranthoth said:
    Ok the PCI controler is being overriden by the SATA controler. This is general bios issue. It's a pain in the behind to fix. What pata controler are you running? You may end up having to format the HDD so it doesn't see an OS on the sata line; or this may just need to be a bios update.


    Ok I will search for a BIOS update for the controller card but first I will format the HDD and try that.

    Thanks
  11. Best answer selected by wolfman72.
  12. This topic has been closed by Nikorr
Ask a new question

Read More

Chipsets BIOS Motherboards