Sign in with
Your question

Troubleshooting Manual Fan Speed Control in BIOS

Last response: in Systems
June 5, 2011 2:11:05 PM

Hi folks,

Wondering if anyone can lend some help with a fan speed issue I am having:

I am operating a homebuild with a P7P55D-E motherboard and an i5-760 chip. The other day, I installed a Cooler Master Hyper 212+ cooler to replace the stock heatsink that came with the chip. When the system boots up, the fan speed defaults to 100%, which is unnecessarily fast and loud at non-overclocked settings.

In attempt slow the fan down, I went into BIOS --> Power --> Hardware Monitor, and set CPU Q-Control to "Enabled" and the CPU Q-Fan Control to manual, with an upper temp of 70C to trigger a 60% fan speed, and a lower limit of 40c with 20% fan speed. However, when I save changes and leave BIOS, the fan speed shoots back up to 100% and won't come back down unless I use a program like Speedfan, which allows me to manually bring the speed back.

Any idea on how to get these changes to stick?

Thanks!
June 6, 2011 3:29:08 AM

I'm surprised the fan didn't come with software. If not, try looking on the internet. It's way easier to run a small program with presets for varying fan speeds. My only example is using AI Suite, which came with my motherboard. Worked great. Try something like that.
June 6, 2011 11:05:16 PM

I'd like to avoid installing extra software on the computer if possible to make the change through BIOS. So, if anyone has any BIOS-based ideas on how to get the fan speeds to stick, would be much appreciated.
June 16, 2011 12:38:07 AM

So, for some reason when I set the upper limit in BIOS for 70c to 50% fan speed instead of 60%, the change stuck. No idea why, but it worked.
!