HP Z600 benchmark

devcon

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2011
Hi Guys!

We had one HP Z600 spare and since we where bored, I wanted to see what we can squeeze out of this machine.

I installed a ATI 5870 graphic-card, but I ran in to a problem. The PSU on comes with 1 PCI-E 4 pins connector..... I want to get as much power out of this card as possible. I dont think it can run on full load with only one PCI-E connector?

Since we are lacking one connector would a 2x 5,25 molux" to 6-Pin PCIe converter work? and would it also hold in the long run?

Spec link
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/13277_na/13277_na.PDF

I hope some one can put a brighter light ins this matter.

Kind regards.

Devcon

cmcghee358

Distinguished
Without knowing more info on the PSU it's hard to say how many Amps are available on the 12V rail(s) but assuming since it's a higher efficiency 650W PSU, you should be able to use the molex-pci-e adapters.

mightymaxio

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
I would say yes, i had a 5870 powered by one 6 pin PCIE to 2 PCIE 6 pin converter cable. I also had this on a 450 watt power supply and made sure that i had enough rails on the power supply. But if you have one PCIE connector the molex x2 to 1 PCIE converter cable should work because its on a separate power rail. Just make sure not to have any devices connected to the strand of cable your using with the converter.