Sign in with
Your question

Motherboard won't boot with power on :(

Last response: in Motherboards
May 19, 2012 8:57:27 PM

I connected all the correct cords and all the fans, leds, HD, SSD, speaker optical drive and the power button on the front run perfectly. Although with a monitor connected by DVI and power plugged in the motherboard will still not boot and I even pressed the power button on the motherboard and the power button on the front of the case at separate times. They both work the same. I know I am supposed to hear a beep from the speaker on the motherboard or at least a visual bios on the monitor. But I don't hear anything and the monitor just says there is no VGA signal.

If anyone knows what I may be missing I would greatly appreciate it since this is my first PC build and I'm almost done too.

More about : motherboard boot power

a c 473 V Motherboard
a b C Monitor
May 19, 2012 9:27:58 PM

JudgeWest said:
I connected all the correct cords and all the fans, leds, HD, SSD, speaker optical drive and the power button on the front run perfectly. Although with a monitor connected by DVI and power plugged in the motherboard will still not boot and I even pressed the power button on the motherboard and the power button on the front of the case at separate times. They both work the same. I know I am supposed to hear a beep from the speaker on the motherboard or at least a visual bios on the monitor. But I don't hear anything and the monitor just says there is no VGA signal.

If anyone knows what I may be missing I would greatly appreciate it since this is my first PC build and I'm almost done too.

check that you have the 4 or 8 pin plug on your mb plugged in. it be near the cpu. the same goes for the video card check that all 6 or 8 pin power is in. mb will beep if there a speaker built into them. some mb like asus use debug led or led post code blocks. one thing to check with the new asus memory clips that the ram is in right and in all the way..both ram clips are down. if your using an after market heat sink check that you did not crank down to hard on in. if the mb wont post try taking it out of the case and just have the ps and video card and ram in and see if it post on the top of the mb box. with the anti static bag under it. if it does then you had a screw or a standoff or the io shield was shorting out. if it still does not post..check that the ram you have is on the mb tested list..also check that the mb will post with your cpu in it..some cpu and mb will need a bios up date before they will post di to fact that the mb came out first the the cpu. the last thing and it the o i got a bleep up board or i bleep it up is taking power off the mb..unplug the ps and then take the heat sink off the cpu and take out the cpu and with a magifier look at the pins on the bottom of the cpu and in the mb cpu slot..look for any smashed pins..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfq7s7gm7hA
m
l
May 20, 2012 12:43:20 AM

I don't think my cpu has any bent pins, because I just checked it. But my case only came with 5 standoffs in it and and the motherboard has 9 holes for 9 standoffs. I thought it didn't matter since I had most of them, it might. Do I need to buy more stand offs? There are 4 more holes in the case too but they just didn't provide enough or something.
m
l
Related resources
May 20, 2012 12:59:20 AM

You'll just have to take it out of the case and disconnect everything except for the essentials (CPU, RAM, power supply and GPU) and see if it powers up. If it powers up, you probably have one of the USB connections hooked up wrong.
m
l
May 20, 2012 1:58:32 AM

Thanks I figured it out, it was the standoffs. I didn't have them all in.
m
l
!