What temp should my i7 920 be running at?

tkking

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2009
Just put together my rig and in the bios i am getting 34 degrees Celsius, i have a skythe mugen 2 on the i7 920.

my first install so i suppose i could have installed the heat sync wrong. but that sounded hot, so i just wanted to know what the target temperature should be on stand-by and load?

thanks a bunch.

Bibble

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2004
I just put together a system with an i7 920 and a Scythe Mugen 2 and am showing 38C. 34C sounds pretty good to me, although I've seen other folks claim that they're under 30C (idle).

Dont worry. the i7 shouldn't go over 70c on load . Those idle temp are about the average temp i see out of everyone else i7. (acctuly there a little lower. i see about low 40c for most people.)

There nothing to worry about.

34C is very cool for a CPU. The i7 920 is designed to go up to 68C before "turbo mode" is disengaged, so you can take that as a sign that Intel believes temperatures up to that amount are perfectly OK.

Note that there are two sets of temperature sensors on the i7 CPU itself: the "core" temperatures and the "case" temperature (also known as the "Integrated Heat Spreader" (IHS) temperature. The 68C limit I referred to is the case temperature - the core temperatures are normally about 5C higher than that.

TRENDING THREADS