Does the p8p67 deluxe support ivy bridge out of the box?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stuffstuff

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2011
I'm buying a new motherboard on ebay, but I need to know if the p8p67 deluxe supports ivy bridge before I buy it so that I know if i have to buy a bios chip. Does the rev 3.0/gen3 support ivy bridge out of the box, or is that just z68?

Solution
We aren't going to guarantee you that Z68 3.0 will work with Ivy Bridge out of the box. At least I don't think anyone will, but people always surprise you.

What is 100% likely to work is Z77. You are rolling the dice with anything older. Maybe in some cases the dice is weighted in your favor, but its still a dice.

Ask all the people who bought Bulldozer chips and boards that said they support FX if it really works 100% of the time out of the box on older boards that need a BIOS update to support the new architecture.
You are taking your chances.

The only thing that supports Ivy Bridge 100% of the time out of the box is a 77 motherboard, like Z77.

Other things need to have the newest BIOS in order to be able to run it and you don't know how new the BIOS is before you buy it.

The safest option is to go with a P8Z77 instead, but if you must get the P8P67 I would have a contingency plan for where to borrow an 1155 processor to update the BIOS with before you put the Ivy Bridge chip in it.

People buying Bulldozer chips get burned by this same problem every day. It sucks, trust me.

I would just go for the Z77, it will have UEFI and other great stuff and isn't super much more expensive than the P8P67.

Also, you may want to do your shopping at Micro Center. If you buy a 3570k Ivy Bridge chip they will give you like $50-$90 off of a motherboard to go along with it. Even if you don't get that deal, they usually do better than online stores.

You would have to have one close, though, which not everyone does. I had to drive an hour each way to get to the one I go to.

stuffstuff

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2011
On ebay, someone's selling a bios chip with the latest bios.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/280870244221?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_1088wt_911
I'll just take the old one out with a screwdriver (it's directly to the right of the blue sata 6gbps port) and replace it with the new one.
p8z77-v deluxe is $279, and I can get the new motherboard and bios for under $150, so it's a big difference. I wish I had a microcenter near me, but the closest one is 100 miles (2hrs) away according to google maps. But do some p67/z68 motherboards not support ivy bridge even with an updated bios? Can there be hardware issues?

Quick BIOS update and off u go : )

So, no support right out of the box.

There are "Ivy Bridge" CPU's and "Ivy Bridge" motherboards. Not all Sandy Bridge motherboards support the new 22nm Ivy Bridge CPU's which is what I believe you are asking

While there are some Sandy Bridge motherboards that support PCIe v3 (faster PCIe bus) there are several features that only Ivy Bridge has.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivy_Bridge_(microarchitecture)

As mentioned above, I believe what you want is a Z77 motherboard. You can buy an Asrock Z77 motherboard for as little as $100. I really don't see the point in buying a Sandy Bridge motherboard now that Ivy Bridge boards cost basically the same.
- PCIe v3.0
- Virtu MVP
- supports the new 22nm Intel CPU's (and current 32nm 1155 for backwards compatibility but I don't recommend that now)

(I'm recommending the new i7-3570K Intel CPU for people building new computers)

stuffstuff

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2011
no, 1155 motherboards support ivy bridge with a bios update. I was asking if the 3.0 version supported it out of the box, because I think the z68 3.0 does. I don't want asrock, I want quality.

We aren't going to guarantee you that Z68 3.0 will work with Ivy Bridge out of the box. At least I don't think anyone will, but people always surprise you.

What is 100% likely to work is Z77. You are rolling the dice with anything older. Maybe in some cases the dice is weighted in your favor, but its still a dice.

Ask all the people who bought Bulldozer chips and boards that said they support FX if it really works 100% of the time out of the box on older boards that need a BIOS update to support the new architecture.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.