August 26, 2010 9:17:11 PM

Hello,
Hello,
My network is set up as followed:

Cable line into modem

Modem to router

Router sends wireless siginal to PC upstairs, and a laptop

Ethernet connects xbox console to router

So, I have two computers and an xbox all running off one router. I have roadrunner, on the cpu the speed tests at about 2.5 mbps download, 600k kbps upload. I have a decent year old Linksys router, and the modem is supplied by the cable company,it's brand is Scientific Atlanta, and is less then a year old. When I am playing on the xbox, and a family member uses a somewhat demanding website on the internet, my xbox connection goes to garbage and I get heavy lag. Both computers are used often, it's not uncommon for both to be used at the same time. So only playing when nobody is on a cpu isn't an option. I have edited the router's qos settings, giving the console top priority, the computers low, but to no avail. My goal is to have a flawless gaming connection, regardlesss of who is on the cpu's or how demanding the cpu intenet usuage is. So, the primary question is, how much mbps speed do I need to have a perfect connection for the console, while sharing it at the same time with two cpu's running demanding internet usuage?

More about : mbps rate network

Anonymous
August 26, 2010 10:07:43 PM

If you're into gaming an upgrade to a 20mbps service would make sense, some firms are even claiming up to 50mbps.
m
l
Anonymous
August 27, 2010 11:09:34 PM

Is that much needed? for just the two cpu's and xbox, I thought something like 7 would be good. When the PC and/or laptop aren't running a demanding download or interactive game, the xbox connection is perfect.
m
l
Anonymous
August 28, 2010 5:44:27 AM

Quote:
Is that much needed? for just the two cpu's and xbox, I thought something like 7 would be good. When the PC and/or laptop aren't running a demanding download or interactive game, the xbox connection is perfect.

Obviously, more is better (though take the UP TO figure with a pinch of salt). Negotiate with your ISP, explain you need more speed and will go to a new provider if necessary. They tend to have a special department to deal with potential deserters (in a nice way).
m
l
Related resources
!