How do i know if my motherboard will connect to my powersupply?

Hello, i am building a pc for the first time and cant figure out if my motherboard will properly connect to my power supply

mobo: http://www.amazon.com/GIGABYTE-GeForce-Chipset-Motherboard-GA-M68MT-S2/dp/B005X64M4G/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1337443261&sr=8-15

power supply: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7195036
11 answers Last reply
More about motherboard connect powersupply
  1. The 4 pin is for the CPU, so use the 4 pin plug on the PSU.

2. ATX 4 Pin Power Connector

3. 24 pin

4. Many of the newer PSU models have a single 8-pin cable that can be split into two 4-pin (2X2) cables...you only use one connector)

5. ok thanks but do all cpu's use the 4pin connecter?
  6. and also does the power supply come with these cords or do i have to buy them
  7. hoboman365 said:
    ok thanks but do all cpu's use the 4pin connecter?

Yes, all cpu's will need at least the 4-pin connector. The 8-pin variation is for supplemental power, which your motherboard won't need, and the end of the power cable will be keyed with shapes, so simply plug in the 4 that fit the 4-pin socket. As to your second question, the answer is yes, all power supplies come with cables for 4-pin cpu power (yours will come with an 8-pin, but again, you'll only need the 4 that fit) and 24-pin motherboard power.
  8. so, to put it in simpler words these two are in fact compatible?
  9. hoboman365 said:
    ok thanks but do all cpu's use the 4pin connecter?

Its not about the CPU.

Its about the mobo, what kind of connector it has. Some have 4pin some 8 pin.

And same it is with the PSU.

The 4 pin will work and power the 8 pin slot without any problem.
  10. hoboman365 said:
    so, to put it in simpler words these two are in fact compatible?

Your PSU has 4pin + 4 pin.

Use the ATX 4 Pin, there is a label on each cable.

And yes, they are compatible.
  11. holy crap Nikorr... that was one of the most detailed photo explanations i have ever seen.

+1
Ask a new question

Read More

Asus Power Supplies Connection Motherboards Powersupply