P8Z77-V LX bios cant detect HDD

Tags:
  • Asus
  • BIOS
  • Hard Drives
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
May 20, 2012 2:57:04 AM

So today i decided to upgrade my PC and got an i5 3570k, Asus P8Z77-V LX and kingston 8gb 1600mh ram.
Now for some reason the bios cannot detect my hdd, but it can detect my DVD.
The hdd was working perfectly in on my previous motherboard. I've tried using different SATA/power cables and nothing is working.

More about : p8z77 bios detect hdd

a b V Motherboard
May 20, 2012 11:39:41 AM

Just yesterday I went and got a 3570k + motherboard deal at Micro Center too. I got the Asrock $60 one instead, though, because it is cheaper and I was already spending too much as it was.

Anyway, tell me about your HDD, what is the maker and model of it and how old is it? Has it ever worked in the past?
m
l
May 20, 2012 1:27:23 PM

It is a Western Digital 500gb (WD5001AALS). It was working on my motherboard right before i upgraded. Its SATA and not that old.
m
l
Related resources
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
May 20, 2012 1:39:06 PM

Check your HDD in another system.
m
l
May 20, 2012 1:40:31 PM

That's the problem, one of the screws is so stripped i cant get it out. It's just a circle. Damn shop that fixed my computer way back did it.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
May 20, 2012 1:51:36 PM

Please explain exactly the screen you are looking at when it "doesn't work".

What exactly you see is important in determining the root cause and I want to make sure that I completely understand the problem you are having.
m
l
May 20, 2012 2:04:45 PM

What's on the screen is the bios, but only the DVD drive is getting detected as something to boot from. HDD isn't there. I can get pictured if needed.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
May 20, 2012 2:15:27 PM

That would be great if you could.
m
l
May 20, 2012 2:39:32 PM

OK, so i moved an entire computer over and connected it to the HDD and it also cant detect it. Guess its the HDDs fault even though it was working fine in my old computer the same day. :/ 
m
l
a b V Motherboard
May 20, 2012 3:14:10 PM

It could have potentially went bad as a result of the equipment change if it experienced some ESD or something.

Such things would be really rare, but then again they statistically happen and you could be the unlucky one that makes sure the fail rate during equipment change is non-zero.

I don't know that I would be quite so quick to give up on it, though. If I were in your shoes I would fight with it more.

I should say that I have fought with a hard drive in the past and it was long and arduous, but I would do it again. I bought a DVR hard drive (Seagate Pipeline) and it really was never meant to act as a computer hard drive and I had trouble getting Windows to recognize it and use it and all, so I feel your pain.

If the money isn't a big deal just replace it because the time you spend messing with it may just not be worth it since you could play with your kids or whatever instead, but if money is tight I would keep fighting.
m
l
May 20, 2012 3:25:05 PM

Yea I think im just going to get a new drive. If I ever have free time i might fiddle with the the old one and see if i can get it working. Didn't have anything important on it so its all good.
m
l
May 21, 2012 11:41:45 PM

I have this exact set up and was also having trouble detecting my SSD. I did a full power cycle (turn PSU switch off, then press power button so that fans start to spin up and drain the system of any residual current, LED on motherboard should shut off) and it seemed to fix the problem. I flashed to the latest BIOS after this and I haven't seen the problem since.

kryun said:
So today i decided to upgrade my PC and got an i5 3570k, Asus P8Z77-V LX and kingston 8gb 1600mh ram.
Now for some reason the bios cannot detect my hdd, but it can detect my DVD.
The hdd was working perfectly in on my previous motherboard. I've tried using different SATA/power cables and nothing is working.

m
l
!