Leaf Green advice: raise MagicKarp!

Mike said he wanted more action round here and so would I! Thought I would
post some stuff tonight...
Anyway, while looking through the latest edition of Nintendo Power, it said
that if you are patient enough to raise your magikarp (I think that is what
it is called) to a level 20, you will have a really good pokemon!
I bought this one for an outrageous price from a guy in a house... I am
slowly raising him, but his attacks don't do anything and the attacks I can
add will not work on him!
I guess I really have to have patience!
5 answers Last reply
More about leaf green advice raise magickarp

    > Mike said he wanted more action round here and so would I! Thought I would
    > post some stuff tonight...
    > Anyway, while looking through the latest edition of Nintendo Power, it
    said
    > that if you are patient enough to raise your magikarp (I think that is
    what
    > it is called) to a level 20, you will have a really good pokemon!
    > I bought this one for an outrageous price from a guy in a house... I am
    > slowly raising him, but his attacks don't do anything and the attacks I
    can
    > add will not work on him!
    > I guess I really have to have patience!

    At level 20, Magikarp evolves into Gyarados, which is one of the more
    powerful water Pokemon IIRC (though it has a double weakness to lightning).
    If you're having trouble raising its level, use the "swap" technique:

    1) Put the Magikarp in the lead, so that it starts the battle.
    2) Swap it for a stronger Pokemon to handle the fighting (the swapped
    Pokemon will take a hit).
    3) If it's a trainer battle, swap Magikarp back in when the enemy is dead,
    so that he'll also get experience for that one (it should ask you whether
    you want to).

    This way Magikarp gets half the experience in all the battles without the
    constant struggle to keep it alive. You'll probably do this a lot. For
    now, though, I'd recommend putting Magikarp into storage until you can
    increase its level more quickly. That's just IMO though :)
    --
    //mike tyndall
    C++ programmer and game designer (not professionally)

    > > Mike said he wanted more action round here and so would I! Thought I
    would
    > > post some stuff tonight...
    > > Anyway, while looking through the latest edition of Nintendo Power, it
    > said
    > > that if you are patient enough to raise your magikarp (I think that is
    > what
    > > it is called) to a level 20, you will have a really good pokemon!
    > > I bought this one for an outrageous price from a guy in a house... I am
    > > slowly raising him, but his attacks don't do anything and the attacks I
    > can
    > > add will not work on him!
    > > I guess I really have to have patience!
    >
    > At level 20, Magikarp evolves into Gyarados, which is one of the more
    > powerful water Pokemon IIRC (though it has a double weakness to
    lightning).
    > If you're having trouble raising its level, use the "swap" technique:
    >
    > 1) Put the Magikarp in the lead, so that it starts the battle.
    > 2) Swap it for a stronger Pokemon to handle the fighting (the swapped
    > Pokemon will take a hit).
    > 3) If it's a trainer battle, swap Magikarp back in when the enemy is dead,
    > so that he'll also get experience for that one (it should ask you whether
    > you want to).
    >
    > This way Magikarp gets half the experience in all the battles without the
    > constant struggle to keep it alive. You'll probably do this a lot. For
    > now, though, I'd recommend putting Magikarp into storage until you can
    > increase its level more quickly. That's just IMO though :)

    I have been swapping him.... It has been a slow process, I guess it's a good
    idea to wait for tougher battles to get more points.
    Thanks!

    Dreams5 wrote:
    >>> Mike said he wanted more action round here and so would I! Thought
    >>> I would post some stuff tonight...
    >>> Anyway, while looking through the latest edition of Nintendo Power,
    >>> it said that if you are patient enough to raise your magikarp (I
    >>> think that is what it is called) to a level 20, you will have a
    >>> really good pokemon!
    >>> I bought this one for an outrageous price from a guy in a house...
    >>> I am slowly raising him, but his attacks don't do anything and the
    >>> attacks I can add will not work on him!
    >>> I guess I really have to have patience!
    >>
    >> At level 20, Magikarp evolves into Gyarados, which is one of the more
    >> powerful water Pokemon IIRC (though it has a double weakness to
    >> lightning). If you're having trouble raising its level, use the
    >> "swap" technique:
    >>
    >> 1) Put the Magikarp in the lead, so that it starts the battle.
    >> 2) Swap it for a stronger Pokemon to handle the fighting (the swapped
    >> Pokemon will take a hit).
    >> 3) If it's a trainer battle, swap Magikarp back in when the enemy is
    >> dead, so that he'll also get experience for that one (it should ask
    >> you whether you want to).
    >>
    >> This way Magikarp gets half the experience in all the battles
    >> without the constant struggle to keep it alive. You'll probably do
    >> this a lot. For now, though, I'd recommend putting Magikarp into
    >> storage until you can increase its level more quickly. That's just
    >> IMO though :)
    >
    > I have been swapping him.... It has been a slow process, I guess it's
    > a good idea to wait for tougher battles to get more points.
    > Thanks!

    You can also wait until you get the Exp Share item, which lets the holding
    pokemon get half the exp without participating in the battle.

    Btw, you can catch a billion Magikarp on your own, so why did you spend $500
    on one?

    John Salerno <johnjsal@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote:
    > You can also wait until you get the Exp Share item, which lets the
    > holding pokemon get half the exp without participating in the battle.
    >
    > Btw, you can catch a billion Magikarp on your own, so why did you
    > spend $500 on one?

    Even with the Super Rod, I'm plagued by the useless buggers. I was
    contemplating evolving one, but I ran across 17,000 Gyarados with the Good
    Rod, so I didn't even need to evolve it for the Pokedex entry. I suppose the
    only useful Magikarp are the huge ones you can get NetBalls for from the
    Lavender guy... but I caught a freak 44.7in one on my second try, so I
    ruined that.

    BTW, Pokemon questions should be directed towards
    Alt.Games.Nintendo.Pokemon... a more appropriate place than the general GBA
    group.

    --
    -----------
    Deep Thought

    > Btw, you can catch a billion Magikarp on your own, so why did you spend
    $500
    > on one?

    D'oh!
    It was a dumb idea! It was at the beginning of the game, where the person
    offers to sell it to you. I didn't have a rod at the time, so I didn't know
    you can catch billions of them!
    Oh well!

Console Gaming Green Nintendo Video Games