Leaf Green advice: raise MagicKarp!

Last response: in Video Games
September 21, 2004 9:59:37 AM

Mike said he wanted more action round here and so would I! Thought I would
post some stuff tonight...
Anyway, while looking through the latest edition of Nintendo Power, it said
that if you are patient enough to raise your magikarp (I think that is what
it is called) to a level 20, you will have a really good pokemon!
I bought this one for an outrageous price from a guy in a house... I am
slowly raising him, but his attacks don't do anything and the attacks I can
add will not work on him!
I guess I really have to have patience!
Anonymous
September 21, 2004 9:59:38 AM

> Mike said he wanted more action round here and so would I! Thought I would
> post some stuff tonight...
> Anyway, while looking through the latest edition of Nintendo Power, it
said
> that if you are patient enough to raise your magikarp (I think that is
what
> it is called) to a level 20, you will have a really good pokemon!
> I bought this one for an outrageous price from a guy in a house... I am
> slowly raising him, but his attacks don't do anything and the attacks I
can
> add will not work on him!
> I guess I really have to have patience!

At level 20, Magikarp evolves into Gyarados, which is one of the more
powerful water Pokemon IIRC (though it has a double weakness to lightning).
If you're having trouble raising its level, use the "swap" technique:

1) Put the Magikarp in the lead, so that it starts the battle.
2) Swap it for a stronger Pokemon to handle the fighting (the swapped
Pokemon will take a hit).
3) If it's a trainer battle, swap Magikarp back in when the enemy is dead,
so that he'll also get experience for that one (it should ask you whether
you want to).

This way Magikarp gets half the experience in all the battles without the
constant struggle to keep it alive. You'll probably do this a lot. For
now, though, I'd recommend putting Magikarp into storage until you can
increase its level more quickly. That's just IMO though :)
--
//mike tyndall
C++ programmer and game designer (not professionally)

> > Mike said he wanted more action round here and so would I! Thought I
would
> > post some stuff tonight...
> > Anyway, while looking through the latest edition of Nintendo Power, it
> said
> > that if you are patient enough to raise your magikarp (I think that is
> what
> > it is called) to a level 20, you will have a really good pokemon!
> > I bought this one for an outrageous price from a guy in a house... I am
> > slowly raising him, but his attacks don't do anything and the attacks I
> can
> > add will not work on him!
> > I guess I really have to have patience!
>
> At level 20, Magikarp evolves into Gyarados, which is one of the more
> powerful water Pokemon IIRC (though it has a double weakness to
lightning).
> If you're having trouble raising its level, use the "swap" technique:
>
> 1) Put the Magikarp in the lead, so that it starts the battle.
> 2) Swap it for a stronger Pokemon to handle the fighting (the swapped
> Pokemon will take a hit).
> 3) If it's a trainer battle, swap Magikarp back in when the enemy is dead,
> so that he'll also get experience for that one (it should ask you whether
> you want to).
>
> This way Magikarp gets half the experience in all the battles without the
> constant struggle to keep it alive. You'll probably do this a lot. For
> now, though, I'd recommend putting Magikarp into storage until you can
> increase its level more quickly. That's just IMO though :)

I have been swapping him.... It has been a slow process, I guess it's a good
idea to wait for tougher battles to get more points.
Thanks!
September 21, 2004 6:21:44 PM

Dreams5 wrote:
>>> Mike said he wanted more action round here and so would I! Thought
>>> I would post some stuff tonight...
>>> Anyway, while looking through the latest edition of Nintendo Power,
>>> it said that if you are patient enough to raise your magikarp (I
>>> think that is what it is called) to a level 20, you will have a
>>> really good pokemon!
>>> I bought this one for an outrageous price from a guy in a house...
>>> I am slowly raising him, but his attacks don't do anything and the
>>> attacks I can add will not work on him!
>>> I guess I really have to have patience!
>>
>> At level 20, Magikarp evolves into Gyarados, which is one of the more
>> powerful water Pokemon IIRC (though it has a double weakness to
>> lightning). If you're having trouble raising its level, use the
>> "swap" technique:
>>
>> 1) Put the Magikarp in the lead, so that it starts the battle.
>> 2) Swap it for a stronger Pokemon to handle the fighting (the swapped
>> Pokemon will take a hit).
>> 3) If it's a trainer battle, swap Magikarp back in when the enemy is
>> dead, so that he'll also get experience for that one (it should ask
>> you whether you want to).
>>
>> This way Magikarp gets half the experience in all the battles
>> without the constant struggle to keep it alive. You'll probably do
>> this a lot. For now, though, I'd recommend putting Magikarp into
>> storage until you can increase its level more quickly. That's just
>> IMO though :)
>
> I have been swapping him.... It has been a slow process, I guess it's
> a good idea to wait for tougher battles to get more points.
> Thanks!

You can also wait until you get the Exp Share item, which lets the holding
pokemon get half the exp without participating in the battle.

Btw, you can catch a billion Magikarp on your own, so why did you spend $500
on one?
Anonymous
September 21, 2004 11:06:49 PM

John Salerno <johnjsal@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote:
> You can also wait until you get the Exp Share item, which lets the
> holding pokemon get half the exp without participating in the battle.
>
> Btw, you can catch a billion Magikarp on your own, so why did you
> spend $500 on one?

Even with the Super Rod, I'm plagued by the useless buggers. I was
contemplating evolving one, but I ran across 17,000 Gyarados with the Good
Rod, so I didn't even need to evolve it for the Pokedex entry. I suppose the
only useful Magikarp are the huge ones you can get NetBalls for from the
Lavender guy... but I caught a freak 44.7in one on my second try, so I
ruined that.

BTW, Pokemon questions should be directed towards
Alt.Games.Nintendo.Pokemon... a more appropriate place than the general GBA
group.

--
-----------
Deep Thought

> Btw, you can catch a billion Magikarp on your own, so why did you spend
$500
> on one?

D'oh!
It was a dumb idea! It was at the beginning of the game, where the person
offers to sell it to you. I didn't have a rod at the time, so I didn't know
you can catch billions of them!
Oh well!
!