Budget intel build 800$

First off thanks for taking the time to help me out. I posted last week, but suddenly took ill and couldn't keep up with my post. So here we go again...I've tweeked a few things.

Approximate Purchase Date: within the next week.

Budget Range: 700-850$

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, gaming, websurfing, music, videos, lots of muli-tasking with two monitors

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS, case

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg

Country of Origin: US

Parts Preferences:Intel. other than that none.

Overclocking: Yes. But not right away. After a while i will get around to it.

SLI or Crossfire: No.

Monitor Resolution:1600x1200-using multiple monitors

Additional Comment:Will mostly be running mmo's: Rift, SWTOR, shogun 2, LOTRO etc. No really high graphic games. I do like to to multi-task while gaming with two monitors, and would love not to see a drop off in FR. I have no intention in ever using SLI, but i might over clock at some point.

CPU-Intel Core i5-2400 Sandy Bridge 3.1GHz (3.4GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I52400

1st question- Should i only get 4g instead of 8 and use that saved to upgrade something else...for example the 2500k?
2nd-is 600W enough for this build? i honestly wasn't sure on this as my last build had a hefty 850

I would love to run my games on high/very high and would be willing to pay up to 850-900 if my original build is lacking.

17 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about budget intel build
  1. For that price you should be able to include the i5-2500k (which is needed if you want to overclock) and 8 gb of RAM. The speed and amount of RAM does not affect your processor or how much you can overclock it.

If you don't ever plan to SLi a 500W system is more than sufficient for most setups. Much better PSU. The Corsair CX series are horrible and Corsair is overpriced in general.
  2. Thanks for the quick reply. yea i was kinda skeptical on that psu from the go, but honestly wasn't sure what range of power i was looking for. so 550W is more than enough if i go with the 2500k over clocked at some point? if so that will shave a few bucks off.
  3. Yes but you won't be able to use certain video cards such as the GTX 590 (which costs as much as this system).
  4. Good thing the CX series isn't rated 80 plus and therefore has no reference point of efficiency...
  5. It is 80+ certified.
  6. saw this combo deal on newegg, would be $809 with the GPU plus a new case dvd/cd burner which is about what i would pay with the set up in my first post adding a 2500k.

Anything to be gained by going with this combo? or is it bascially a push.
  7. No it's not 80+.

That's a great combo; well worth it.
  8. CORSAIR Builder Series CX600 V2 600W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply

Someone had mentioned that combo before, I couldn't seem to find it quick. It's decent, go ahead and get it.
  9. i agree.

one last question. should i stick with the 560 ti? if so, is there one that i should choose over the others...such as the msi vs evga etc...
  10. A 6950 averages a bit more fps for the same price.
  11. Brand doesn't really matter except for charging you extra for a fancy cooler and a factory overclock. The V2 are 80+ but it's still their bottom of the barrel (from a mediocre company in the first place).
  12. They have roughly the same performance and the 6950s cost more.
  13. The one I linked is the same price. Corsair doesn't make any of its psus so saying they're all mediocre is ignorant.
  14. Best answer
    They're a mediocre company that uses OEMs from SS and CWT; just like every other other mediocre PSU company.

If they're the same price and you're only using a single GPU then go with nvidia for better drivers.
  15. thanks for all your help guys. i'm pulling the trigger.
  16. Best answer selected by mpstrevels.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product