Problems with resolution because of a hdmi plug

mindfad

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2011
hello

I recently bought this computer if the specs will help:
• Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
• AMD Phenom(TM) X4 840T quad-core processor [2.9GHz, 2MB L2 + 6MB L3 shared, up to 4000MHz]
• 8GB DDR3-1333MHz SDRAM [4 DIMMs]
• 1TB RAID 0 (2 x 500GB SATA HDDs) - performance
• No additional office software
• Norton Internet Security(TM) 2011 - 15 month
• 2GB DDR3 NVIDIA GeForce GT 420 [DVI, HDMI, VGA adapter]

However the tv screens that i use for monitors are as follows:
an lg 28' screen hdmi and vga
a samsui 19' screen only vga

my old computer would allow me to configure the resolution to acceptable and readable levels. My new computer will not. My 19' will not work at all when hooked up as a dual monitor unless i set it at a horrible resolution, and the lg for wutever reason dual or solo the resolution with hdmi are un-useable resolutions.

If i set up the lg with just a vga to dvi converter everything work fine. so it seems that my screen are incompatible with hdmi settings.

my questions is will a dvi splitter allow me have my dual monitor setup? (i use extend desktop view)
if not is there anything else i can do? short of buying a hdmi monitor, thts what HP told me to do. My concern is even if i do that my screen using only a vga convertor does no format correctly with the other screen using hdmi

kronosjt

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2011
is ur LG display a TV? how many HDMI ports does it have? Some TVs when connected to a PC thru HDMI show crisp display only when connected to the correct HDMI port on the TV. It happened to my Samsung B450. I got crisp display only on HDMI1. On other ports the text wasn't sharp.