Sign in with
Your question

Can these RAM stics damage my System?

Last response: in Memory
May 20, 2012 6:23:47 AM

Dear All,

I just was forced to upgrade my system since the good old machine died. So I got myself a whole new machine with an i5 processor and 4 DDR3 RAM slots. The way it came from the manufacturer it had 2x2 GB RAM installed, since I have another 2 x 2 GB RAM laying around from my old machine I was looking forward to run it on 8GB RAM.
Now one problem I have is that I can't exactly tell what sort of RAM is the old one I have, it is not specified on any labels and all it says is the manufacturers name: Cn Memory, all I know is that it is DDR 3, but not what speed it runs on, etc...
When I added the 2 old sticks I initially got an 'error 164 memory size' message witch only appeared on the first boot, other then that the machine picks the memory and runs great on it.
However the one IT guy I know, and who was around while I was setting up the machine, was telling me that it is not advisable to run the machine with this RAM as it can damage my system, as due to the error he assumes that the RAM is of a different speed, is this true? (he has been wrong in the past...)

Thank you for your inputs!
a c 84 } Memory
May 20, 2012 6:45:04 AM

shoot your it guy...then shoot him again. there are very few ways that ram will not work from an old system to a new one.
most time it people trying to put older dimms (ddr2 or older dimms) into new slots and snapping the dimm slot clips or putting the dimms in wrong..im mean forcing them in the wrong way and frying stuff. as long as the dimms meet intel spec for ddr3 ram in speed and in voltage. most ram should work in most pc. the only real issue with ram ie mixing two set of ram is the speed of each kit. there the main speed of the ram ie 1066/1300/1600....and there the ram timing that you see online ie 9-9-9-9-t2
faster ram can slow down most to older ram...if they cant when you use the ram it might bsod on you or lock up your pc.
run cpu-z and under spd it read the jdec info of your ram..by slot. it give you the ram maker info if there is one and the ram speeds that it can run at. also cpu-z will tell you what you ram is running at now.
m
l
a c 146 } Memory
May 20, 2012 6:55:45 AM

Pos the details ...

CPU:
RAM: with link please.
GPU:
PSU:
HDD:
Motherboard:
m
l
Related resources
May 20, 2012 6:57:03 AM

Thanks smorizio,

That confirms my doubts, and I already felt like shooting the guy any way! However you'll have to forgive my ignorance... how do I do what you described below:

[run cpu-z and under spd it read the jdec info of your ram..by slot. it give you the ram maker info if there is one and the ram speeds that it can run at. also cpu-z will tell you what you ram is running at now.[/quotemsg]

(is it in the bios? If I run it in comand prompt it doesn't work... sorry but I suck in IT issues...)
m
l
May 20, 2012 7:14:16 AM

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500 CPU @3.30GHz 3.30GHZ
RAM: with link please. Sorry but I have now idea where to find this information
GPU: Same as above, no idea
PSU: Same as above, no idea
HDD: Hitachi HDS721050CLA662

Any hints on how to find this info will be appreciated!
m
l
May 20, 2012 7:45:10 AM

nikorr said:
Or...

What RAM do u have now? Post the part #
Use CPU-Z to find out @ http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

Thanks for the hint with cpu-z... looks like I have 2 sticks of:

DDR3 2048 MBytes PC3- 10700 (667 Mhz) Nanya Technology Part number M2F2G64CB88B7N-CG

And two sticks of:

DDR3 2048 Mbytes PC3- 10700 (667 Mhz) Hyundai Electronics Part number HMT325U6CFR8C-H9

Does this work?

m
l
May 20, 2012 8:09:52 AM

nikorr said:
Run Speccy @ http://www.filehippo.com/download_speccy/ and post the findings : )

Thanks for this one too!

Here are the findings:

Summary
Operating System
MS Windows 7 64-bit SP1
CPU
Intel Core i5 2500 @ 3.30GHz 39 °C
Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology
RAM
8.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
Hewlett-Packard 1494 (SOCKET 0)
Graphics
LE1711 (1280x1024@60Hz)
Intel(R) HD Graphics Family
Hard Drives
488GB Hitachi Hitachi HDS721050CLA662 (SATA) 40 °C
313GB Seagate ST3320418AS (SATA) 36 °C
Optical Drives
hp CDDVDW SH-216ALN
HUAWEI Mass Storage USB Device
Audio