New gaming tower accessing internet

shreddawg

Distinguished
May 19, 2011
I just built my new gaming tower (First time building a computer). Im running this setup:
ASRock p67 Extreme4 motherboard
Intel i5 2500k processor
G skill Ripjaw series 8gb ddr3 ram
Corsair GS600 PSU
HD Radeon 6950 2GB
Antec 300 Illusion case
Samsung 1TB Sata Hard drive
ASUS CD/DVD reader/writer

I finally assembled it but my question is:

I want to connect to the internet via ethernet cable from my router.
I currently have the cable plugged in to my PCIE Gigabit LAN slot on the motherboard which hangs out the back of the tower case. I am unable to connect to the internet this way.

Do I have to buy a network card, or should I be able to connect to the internet this way?
2nd If I do have to buy a network card, which PCI slot would I connect the network card to? The PCI slots are color coded, would it matter which one I plugged it into, like it does with the RAM (wanting to keep 2 ram sticks on same color to take advantage of Dual channel) or could I just plug it in to any available PCI slot.
Thanks for the help!

cmcghee358

Distinguished
It should work out of the port you have plugged in. It could be you didn't install the motherboard drivers for the Gigabit LAN or your router isn't properly configged. I suspect it's the driver. There should've been a driver disk that came with your motherboard. Run that disk.

I will repeat what has already been said, you do not need an additional network card, the one on the motherboard should work just fine, and you need to install the network drivers from your motherboards CD. Check in Device Manager under networking to see if the network device has been correctly installed.