Sign in with
Your question

Mac Pro + MSI R5770 HAWK= No Output

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 24, 2011 11:07:37 PM

Hello,

I just purchased a MSI R5770 HAWK to replace by Nvidia 8800 GT for my 2008 Mac Pro .

I purchased a new card because the 8800 gt stopped functioning well after 2 years--every time I booted I would get to the boot screen and there would be artifacting and screen tears all over the place, and I wouldn't be able to advance past that screen.

I just received the 5770 several hours ago and after installing it, I cannot even get as far as the boot screen. The monitor has no input, as if it were not connected to anything. There is not even a black screen, just no video output whatsoever.

There is no beeping, I don't hear the card's fan, I've tried 3 different expansion ports and made sure it was seated deeply. I've power cycled close to a dozen times now. When I put the old card back in, at least I get to the fubar screen, but with this new card, I can't even get that far.

The power supply should be sufficient, and I made sure that the card was plugged in using the 6-pin connector, which was the only one that appeared to needed to be plugged.

What should I do? I ordered from NewEgg, is the card just DOA?

Edit: It's also worth noting that I am dualbooting OSX/W7
a c 172 U Graphics card
March 25, 2011 12:58:49 AM

have you even thought that there may be another issue. your mac doesnt work with 2 gfx cards. Maybe return it and try a gts450...... it might just be a compatability thing.
m
l
Related resources
March 25, 2011 1:02:39 AM

iam2thecrowe said:
have you even thought that there may be another issue. your mac doesnt work with 2 gfx cards. Maybe return it and try a gts450...... it might just be a compatability thing.

I only have one card in there.
m
l
a c 172 U Graphics card
March 25, 2011 8:47:17 AM

no ***, but it doesnt work with 2 SEPARATE graphics cards. it doesnt work with the 8800 and it doesnt work with a 5770. Maybe your motherboard is fried, maybe your PSU is no good, maybe you got a dud 5770, maybe its just not compatable. I would vote for the 5770 not compatable and would suggest you should swap it for a gts450. You have a mac, macs arent really meant to be upgraded, apple arent friendly in this way. When people are done with them they get a new one and talk about how pretty it is and how it can run one particular program that windows cant run (yet they forget windows can run a million that mac cant run) /rant
m
l
March 25, 2011 1:46:38 PM

Why bother posting if you are just going to be an asshole, go *** yourself and thanks for trying.
m
l
June 29, 2011 11:00:52 PM

im curious im having the exact same problem with the exact same kind of system. did you ever find a solution or a reason as to why its not working?

thanks
m
l
a c 217 U Graphics card
June 29, 2011 11:28:23 PM

I thought Mac's required even the graphics card to have a special bios for Mac products. You may have to purchase your video card from Apple for it to run on your Mac.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 30, 2011 12:24:51 AM

Yeah, besides Macs being the worst systems, you will have to buy a GPU sold by Apple, and just like the computer, the graphics card will be set at a ridiculous price.
m
l
!